HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:04 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,096 Posts
Discussion
Great BluCor Heron

After seeing how good the EPP Eagle looks, I thought I'd build my own big bird from FFF BluCor. Not wanting to directly rip off the Eagle, I thought I'd go with a different big bird. The Great Blue Heron comes to mind: it's an equally impressive, graceful glider that'll look "real" at 100 meters +. And, it's blue, so I can leave a majority of it the natural BluCor color.

It will be a winter project... so for now I'm just collecting ideas.Here are a few things I thought about doing:

The heron cruises with it's neck coiled up into and "S"... so the shoulders are prominent- often higher than the head. The prop "could" be mounted on the shoulders, behind the head. Otherwise I'd put the prop at the tip of it's long beak with a small 1" yellow spinner and folding prop so it blends in when gliding.

The heron's keel-bone is also prominent in flight - so I can embed a single wheel in the center of the keel for grass landings - much like a full-scale glider.

Gullwing, top-KF airfoil, with the step defined by the boundary between primary and secondary feathers. I might do spoilerons on top of the KF step instead of regular ailerons.

The heron has really long legs that trail the tail feathers. Rather than a V-tail like the EPP Eagle, I think I'll stick with conventional elevator on the tailfeathers, and make the feet bend left-right at the ankles as rudders.

Here are a few "inspiration" pictures:
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2005
239 Posts
Cool idea. I like it. I also had to laugh. Around here we call those birds S**t pokes.
hayabusa is offline Find More Posts by hayabusa
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:34 PM
Soil Density Tester
United States, TX, Bonham
Joined Feb 2004
404 Posts
Cool birds.
I have one that hangs out on my dock.
They like to fly in ground effect just above the water and head to roost at sundown.
The only noise I have heard them make is a loud GAAACK.

We call them BAB's.
Big (donkey) Birds
TexasAce is offline Find More Posts by TexasAce
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:44 PM
Starting to Rebuild
Fayetteville NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,028 Posts
I went catfishing at night back in Aug. While I was checking my limb lines after dark a flushed one out of it's roost. That thing scared the crap outta me. They're loud.
Wingnut31 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut31
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:52 PM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Very loud and annoying when you're trying to fish. I thought about a couple birds too after seeing the EppEagle. Cardinal, chicken hawk, blackbird. Interesting choice.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:05 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa
Cool idea. I like it. I also had to laugh. Around here we call those birds S**t pokes.

We call em' S**T pumpers up here. Ya' know ya' get close to em', they take off and then they pump it out........hehehe.

Jason
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:15 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
haha that's a good idea, maybe you can make "dull white liquid" coming out of it's tail when some one gets close to it
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Warhead, why don't you make your bird a flying wing with elevons and then you don't have to worry about elevators or rudders. You got tons of wing area and the KFm1 lends itself well to flying wings. Then you can steer it the same way as the real bird!

Put a small drag wedge on the feet (as part of the foot) and you won't need any fins.

Just a thought...

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Last edited by Tony65x55; Nov 14, 2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:37 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
That's a cool idea warhead !

A similar thing has been done by Martin Mueller from Germany he built a flying dragon, have a look at the video here: http://www.rc-fliegerfilme.de/flash/wallhalla2.htm

It has quite a unique concept of propulsion and control that makes it even more "scale"
cheers
MB
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:07 AM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
643 Posts
I want one.
webdragon is online now Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:06 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,096 Posts
The dragon is very cool... (as is the "fish" at the end of that clip - definitely an indoor flier). I hadn't thought of making it a thrust vectoring model.. but I'm sure it could be done. I'd probably opt for more traditional controls simply because I am more familiar with the controls that way.

The more I look at the dragon clip and think about thrust vectoring, and looking at the shape of the Heron, I think I could also do a Pterodactyl the same way... now that would be a head-turner, circling over the schoolyard. I think that has been done before though... so maybe I should do a search.

Found one:

http://www.pteroworks.com/pteros.htm
Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:32 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
i guess i would at least make the rudder a head turner, the heron head has a lot more side area with the long beak than the legs, it would look more "scale" too The rest doing it with elevons and a S-twist wing for scale reasons sounds pretty good
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
517 Posts
Great idea. That third pic makes it look like an organic Klingon Bird of Prey

We have them here too. Wiped out a buddy's Koi pond in a weekend.... $1000 worth of Koi He now has a nylon mesh just above the surface so they cant get the fish.

Should be a very cool flyer.

Terry
TerryE is offline Find More Posts by TerryE
Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:32 AM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
While not exactly what you are looking for, I think this adaption of a Blue Funder is pretty cool (I stumbled on this looking for something else). Might provide some inspiration.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=779

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=800

Ron
rcallison is offline Find More Posts by rcallison
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:06 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,096 Posts
Here's what I was wanting to try for the airfoil. It's a top KF airfoil with the ailerons on the TE of the top step instead of the TE of the full chord: a.k.a. - "spoilerons".

The beauty of spoilerons is that they don't create adverse yaw, which would be a big problem with such a wide wingspan/chord ratio. The obvious advantage is that you don't need rudder input to coordinate smooth turns. In fact, spoilerons create yaw in the correct direction, by only inducing drag on the wing with the raised control surface - slowing the wing in the direction of the turn. Building it into the KF top step keeps it clean and neat... from the ground you won't see servos or control surfaces.

I'll still have to create upswept wingtips with some added washout to reduce tip-stalling at low speed.