Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 28, 2001, 10:49 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,239 Posts
This sounds very cool . . . forwarded from JK Aerotech

Hello groovy people (er, you too Hank) ,

I got an e-mail from JK Aerotech the other day and they had this to say, which I thought sounded way cool - in case you folks have already heard about this, I apologise - I've been away for a while, but now I'm back):

Quote:
You should try what this one club is doing. They take our 1/12 scale kits and build with not tape or coroplast. Make balsa tails and sand the fuse to a neat scale shape, then paint two coats of latex house paint on wings and fuse and fly with speed 400 geared or direct. They say the whole plane (Mustang) weighs in at about 16 oz and flies like a yard or park flyer. We have other guys using a strip of medical tape for strength and doing the same thing. The tape is called Durapore.
This makes me anxious to do full-contact combat again. Anyone else?

I dunno. Somehow, I get the feeling an MM/MA setup might just be overkill.
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2001, 11:15 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Welcome back Buzzman! Hope your doing well.

That's worth looking into. Did you read Patrick's post in "foam bashing" about glassing a JKA P-51 & removing the foam with acetone leaving a glass shell?

[This message has been edited by Sal C (edited 04-28-2001).]
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Apr 28, 2001, 02:16 PM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Buzz yer next post is gona be... EVIL.
Draconious is offline Find More Posts by Draconious
Old Apr 28, 2001, 03:03 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
WWW.Sureflite.com was working on 1/12 scale warbirds a while back. These should be same as their regular fully molded all foam planes.
http://www.sureflite.com/htms/w_kits.htm

No sanding required

Anybody know if they were ever released to market?

[This message has been edited by poobs (edited 04-28-2001).]
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Apr 29, 2001, 11:08 AM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Good to see you again Buzzman! I would like to thank you for al of your posts before the holidays that convinced me to get a T-52. Great plane to learn on with no instructor! Your website was a great help in the assembly especially that template for the cable tie motor mount. Glad your back.
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Apr 29, 2001, 11:58 AM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
I'm glad they are going that way. My e-plane came out at a heavy 24+oz when built using the tape and Coroplast. Moreover, I didn't like the taped up look. The planes may not be as bulletproof now, but I'll bet they fly much better on a cheap 400 setup.

I basically did the same think with my s400 sport plane. I sanded my blue foam very smooth and then I covered the whole thing with Silkspan and Polycrylic. I used brown paper tape and I put a balsa spar in the main wing. The total weight of fuse, main wing, and ailerons is 5.4oz. My final weight should be just less than 16 oz.

http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/Forum12/HTML/001812-2.html

dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Apr 30, 2001, 11:27 AM
Royal Oak, MI USA
Joined May 2000
554 Posts
Well, son of a gun, cancel the BOL. Where the hell you been Buzz??? Couldn't find you this time on the post office bulletin board.
Hank Villerot is offline Find More Posts by Hank Villerot
Old May 01, 2001, 03:00 PM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2001
122 Posts
Well, I finally got enough nerve to start posting here. Better now than never.

Anyhow, the suggestion from JKA to Buzz_Man for JKA's planes sounds really interesting but I have a few questions.

1. What type of paint should I use if I am going to do this? Any type of Latex?

2. When mounting the motor, what is the best way to give it adaquate cooling? I have always used Zip ties or used JKA's aluminum mount which both ways seems to keep everything cool.

THANKS
FullaFoam is offline Find More Posts by FullaFoam
Old May 03, 2001, 12:22 AM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Buzz,

Glad to see your back! I was worried for a bit there.......

Chris
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD