Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 28, 2001, 09:19 PM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
Zagi aerobatics-Slow Roll? 4 Point Roll?

Are these possible. "Capt. Dave" said in another post that he could do 4 point rolls. I don't see how.

I'm trying to do a slow roll, but I lose major altitude in the vertical wing parts of the roll.
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2001, 11:40 PM
Vacaville CA USA
Joined Mar 2001
10 Posts
I did a few 4-point rolls today with a Zagi 400X. Easy, starting with lots of speed and at about 20 degrees nose-up. A slow roll I can't do yet..pretty hard without a rudder.

Cheers,

Chris
Tip_Stall is offline Find More Posts by Tip_Stall
Old Apr 29, 2001, 05:51 AM
Hatboro Pa. USA
Joined Jan 2001
346 Posts
Balin,
First let me say this I never said I have done a four point roll yet. I am working on it. It can be done with the right angle and speed. Just keep plugging away. Slow rolls I doubt will ever happen, since not much of anything happens SLOW wwith a Zagi. I am going to a Zagi fest tosay and I will keep an eye out for the guys doing the rolls. If I see any good ones I will talk to them and check there setup and let you know. Okay.
Dave
Capt. Dave is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Dave
Old Apr 29, 2001, 06:37 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,794 Posts
I used to think I could fly a Zagi pretty well until I gave the stick to a co-worker that has been flying IC planes for several decades...boy did he make my Zagi dance!

While he was thrilled flying an electric plane, I was thrilled watching it perform! We both had fun.

I saw 3, 4, and 8 point rolls both in discrete steps and smoothly done. My favorite was the rolling circle where you fly in a circle parallel to the ground and perform rolls while going around the circle. Very cool!

I'm looking forward to learning these patterns this summer. Using a Zagi 400X, a 30 minute flight IC trainer, or flight simulator are the best ways to practice maneuvers. You need some good duration flights or the work and interruptions out weigh the gain.

Good luck!
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old Apr 29, 2001, 07:57 AM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
The Zagi can easily do slow rolls and 4 points rolls. The slow rolls are easier and look nicer. Just give a tad up when entering and when in the inverted part, a tad down.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Apr 29, 2001, 11:01 AM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
I'm glad to hear these things can be done with practice. No flight simulator here (Macintosh has it's downers) so I have to do it in the sky - that's OK, I usually can save myself from disaster these day if I get in trouble.

I've seen pictures of the rolling circle, that would be cool.

The aerobatic sites and articles I've seen are never for wings - always assuming a fuse and rudder so their directions are somewhat meaningless for a Zagi. Then again, if Greg's IC friend could do these things with the Zagi, the techniques must be generally transferable.

Guess I'll go flying.

Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Old Apr 30, 2001, 04:23 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,125 Posts
Slow rolls and four points are a piece of cake with the Zagi. Just about anything can be done except tail slides (no tail!) knife edges and other stuff that requires excessive rudder inputs.

You can yaw (skid) a zaggi without rudder and spin it. Just let it slow (at altitude) with low power and when you are at very slow cruise speed, pull up into a very steep climb, then full up elevator, and add full power and full aileron either way. Presto, a spin!

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2001, 09:51 PM
Port Orford, Oregon, USA
Joined Mar 2001
161 Posts
Hi all:
Since we are talking about point rolls. I do 4,8 and 16 point rolls with the MOG.
One importand part is the plane set up.
You actually need negative differential for the ailerons. The plane exibits adverse yaw when the stick is slammed against the side for each point. This keeps the plane flying in a straight line. You also need more down that up for elevator throw. It really helps not to have any wash out in the wings since when its upside down it won't be so draggy and would require less down when inverted.
Starts with a good dive. Let the nose rise above the horizen and start slamming that stick against the side and returning it to neutral. You will be flying the plane through an arch as you perform point rolls.
One misconception about point rolls is that you have to have rudder control. This is false with a glider and lower powered electrics. Using rudder will actually shorten your arch, spoiling the beauty of it and throwing the nose down. There just isn't much of a fuselage to fly on its side.
I'm ready for the tomatos so start throwing.
Practice Practice Practice Der Zip

Der Zip is offline Find More Posts by Der Zip
Old May 01, 2001, 11:10 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,125 Posts
I agree, the plane setup is key! You can start with this basic idea: If you don't have sufficient throws, you will never have the crisp control you need to excecute the maneuvers.

Conversely, use the controls smoothly and deliberately at higher speeds, as over controlling will eat up airspeed and energy.

Entry speed is important in many maneuvers, so that means you need altitude first for some planes, as you enter the maneuver from a shallow dive.

Have fun!

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2001, 11:30 AM
Vacaville, CA
Joined Mar 2001
12 Posts
I've been flying my Zagi 400x for about a month now, and I can do a 4 pointer. Just get some speed, start at about 20 degrees nose up, and "snap" it. I use full ailerone to make them crisp.
Once I did 3 rolls without touching vertical controls. I haven't been able to do it since.
Earl
HornInFBb is offline Find More Posts by HornInFBb