Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:05 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,054 Posts
Sure you can show it here FJ. We haven't even started yet. This thread will probably last well past November.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:29 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Thanks, I plan on starting soon. My build won't last near the time of yours but possibly I can give you guys some ideas on linkages, motor mounts.. and what not while you guys take your time in building the f-86.

I plan on making the templates at work tomorrow sometime.
At first I though this was an ideal project for my lathe, but silly me after looking at the f-86 about the 1,000'th time I finally noticed the somewhat flat bottom. So I'm not going to use the lathe. Rather just some simple carving and sanding, should be a challenge on getting sides symmetrical.

That said I too wanted to do a pure fiberglass fuse. I've been experimenting these past days glassing foam then pooring thinner down the middle. The results turn out good but it's not as clean as I would of imagined. Messy, messy, messy..... Ended up doing this in a old trash can at the end.

My size is limited. Only 36in length and somewhere around 36in ws. So, much smaller than your guys . Should look like and ultralite next to a 747 or something. Like I said earlier I will be scaling up the plans by tomorrow.
Below are some pictures of the foam which will need to be trippled to achieve correct thickness (6in.). There is a yard stick on the foam for size comparison.

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
Last edited by FlyJumper; Jan 08, 2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 11:16 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Wow, I just spent 30 minutes looking at f-86 paint schemes. I found one I liked.

FJ
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:43 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,379 Posts
Hi !

Do you have some picture of your work Corsair_Nut ?

The F-86 looks so good !!!
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2008, 07:16 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,520 Posts
i havnt been able to start yet. been swamped. had to build antoher F-16 for a buy to replace the F-16 that crashed due to lockout, and spent most of christmas break building my christmas present from my wife (GWS A-4) hope to atleast start soon. plan to take a while on the build, and have it ready by superfly
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 09, 2008, 07:38 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
i havnt been able to start yet. been swamped. had to build antoher F-16 for a buy to replace the F-16 that crashed due to lockout, and spent most of christmas break building my christmas present from my wife (GWS A-4) hope to atleast start soon. plan to take a while on the build, and have it ready by superfly
Great! Superfly worthy! That's gonna be a nice plane

FJ
Old Jan 09, 2008, 07:49 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Quick update-

I did get the chance to copy the plans and scale them up at work today. But I'm still not starting till a whyle, although I have been working on preparing the foam. I.E making it thicker.

I also think I'm going retracts in this plane.... If I can fit a prop in there that is.

I'll upload photos of the plans and foam later tonight!

FJ
Last edited by FlyJumper; Jan 09, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 09:26 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Here we are, pictures of the foam and side- view template.
FJ
Old Jan 09, 2008, 10:24 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,520 Posts
hate to bear bad news...that is a horrible 3 view...even for a H model. it will work, but needs some changes. unless you not really concerened with absolute scale, then youll be alright
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 09, 2008, 10:29 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that too... I was going to mention something about it.

Just didn't look right. I have a 3view in my jet book but it would take some time getting it up to scale. I'm going to have to find another 3view somewhere else, if you guys found one it would be great if you could tell me where you guys found it.

FJ
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:59 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Corsair nut and J, when do you guys think you will start your builds? I think I'm starting mine near the end of this month and hopefully end sometime in summer (I'm actually very anxious! ).

Just out of curiosity anyways, guess I'll be a ginny pig. That is if most sizes of the f-86 have the same characteristics, then mine should be pretty close cg and throws as your guys. By the way I copied the 3view out of my book because as you said Corsair nut, that was a very bad 3view. Something did not look right about it.... So I copied the new 3view onto the foam and stored it away till I'm ready to start.

FJ
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:15 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,054 Posts
I'm planning on having mine ready for Vegas in Nov but will start in a couple of months to make sure I'm not rushed for time. Going FG fuse with it and want to experiment with at least one more before I do the 86.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2008, 03:26 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2000
3,406 Posts
F-86 42"

Here are a couple of pics to keep you guys going...originally was supposed to be 36"ws but a little mis-scaling The fuse is complete with elevator servo and bat wires & ESC its wt as shown is 14.7oz. The Al paint added a couple of extra oz was hoping to come in a 12oz. Pink foam , depron 3/4oz fg/wbpu etc. Working on wing now should come in at 7oz with servo, another strong 6oz for 2200 3cell , motor 2oz...should come in at 30-34oz.

DAF

FJ I have a drawing with about 8 bulkheads to give you a nice profile..email me if you want them.
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Jan 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Ralph, is your f-86's vertical stab not true to scale? It appears that on the f-86 the stab hangs over the back end of the fuse. Or maybe your fuselage is not. Either way I like the idea, gives some room for a prop. And your planes looking nice.

FJ
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:14 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,054 Posts
That looks awesome DAF! Beautiful job. Can't tell for sure but it sort of looks like you blanked the inlet off? Reduce drag? I always leave them open for cooling everything.
I've got to get my A-1 and MIG done so I can get this thing started.

J
RCG Plus Member