HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:20 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Oh really? That's sweet! Always thought it was kinda a drag to go through the hours of making a really nice mold only to get rid of it later.... Sounds like they came up with a really neat process.
Good one, don't worry I won't take it literally.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:27 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,469 Posts
My 50"ws F-86

Hey J,

I had to build another F-86 after I lost mine due to pilot error and must still be floating down the Merrimac river to the Atalantic.....foam floats

Anyhow not to steal any of your thunder (like I could) but rather to encourage you to get going on the Sabre! This is pink foam, depron and 1/16 balsa aft sheeting based on a plan I had of a slope glider Fury. Its WS =50" & AUW is 52 oz and uses a Scorpian 400watt motor...great motor and an old 4 cell polyquest on a apc 10x5.

I decided to maiden since it reach 42F and nice skies. The field is covered with 18-24" of snow and flew from the parking lot ......and planning to land on the slush pave lot Hand launch it with bad artie shoulders and all ...one of my weakest throw ever ...but no fear the new motor basically took it up at a 60 degree angle....oh, oh and also tail heavy...but was prepare..rest of flight once trim was a non event. Is big and looks real cool on a low pass. Landed fine in-between the light poles..no problems... of course the rc gods said oh yea and when I put it back in the Jeep I snap the verical tail

So J, lets get to the F-86....its a great planform and will fly very well for you.

A quick couple of pics.

Artie Shoulders aka DAF
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; Dec 30, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:37 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,767 Posts
Hey DAF! How you been. I have been thinking about you, wondering what you were up to.
I will get ont the F-86 soon. Yours looks great BTW. 52 oz, good weigh too on a 50" ship. Hope mine looks as good as yours. How long did it take you to build it. 2 days, 3 days???
Sure wish you wouldn't be such a stranger round here. Hope the artie is getting a little better too.
Happy New Year to you and the misses.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:42 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,469 Posts
J,

I lurk on the sidelines seeing all the great stuff you guys are doing....it really motivates me to get off my sorry butt and do something! It took a while

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words and a very happy New Year to you and yours.

DAF

PS, can you believe the Pats are behind 7-3....
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:50 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,767 Posts
Oh crap! I forgot about the game. See ya!( to the sound of him running to the TV!)

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2007, 09:10 PM
Joined Jul 2000
3,469 Posts
.... I have my PC in the family room and get to do both!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:06 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,767 Posts
Well, I have wireless on the laptop but prefer to sit at the counter in the kitchen. We haven't put a TV there yet but it's coming.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2007, 05:57 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,767 Posts
In true Elvis style....."THE CORES HAVE ENTERED THE BUILDING!!!!!!!!"
Finally after 16 days, they made all 800 miles. It's a long story though for later.
They look as expected, same beautiful Jerry Hall workmanship.
Note to Jerry:
My Dad always told me" Don't do it perfect, they'll want it like that every time!"
Just a word of warning to you.
So the F-86 build will start somewhere in the near future.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2007, 06:24 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,836 Posts
arnt they sweet J!!!! i busted mine out today..i had to clean up my garage for my next projects... F-86 included...goingto take my sweet time with this one...i want it to be my sweetest build yet. i threw away alot of crap today, organised all my hardware and stuff, and through out 7 model boxes!!! :O 3 alfa A-4 boxes(built 4 in the last 3 months...) a gws A-10 box, Gws funny park flyer box...a hobby people F-16 box...a Gws A-4 box... :O finnaly i can see my table again. hopefully ill start gluing on LE's and tips to the cores this week, and hopefully cut some fuse slabs
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 31, 2007, 06:32 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,767 Posts
Oh well, I wish I had done what you did. I need it bad. Boxes and crap everywhere.
Just hate to shut down and clean. Not my strong point.
Yes, the cores are exactly what I expected from "The Prince of Ravenna".

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:22 PM
Ravenna,Nbraska
Joined Sep 2003
1,427 Posts
"Prince of Ravenna", yeah right...
I have always lived in fear of a good looking girl coming along and kissing me and I would turn into a frog....So far in 65 years that ain't happened and I guess by now it never will...

Glad to hear the cores made it OK...You are right, quite a story...

I suppose now we will see some serious building ???..Can't wait..
JerryHall is offline Find More Posts by JerryHall
Old Jan 01, 2008, 08:57 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,767 Posts
I think my start will be delayed a little. I too want to make it the "Ultimate F-86"( at least my unlimate) and have decided to do a FG fuse like the MIG-15. But I want a little more practice on these type fuses so I am going to move beanies enlarged MIG-21 ahead of it. Besides, I miss my 21 that I auguered in this summer. And I might be doing GGRN's F-8 around the same time. The 86 will require all of one of my 6'x8' work stations so it will take up a lot of room. But hopefully it will not be too long before I can start.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
The 86 will require all of one of my 6'x8' work stations
J
one? dang! how many 6'x8' work stations do you have? i wish i had a hobby shop work area like yours. i remember some of those pics you took. i followed your footsteps for the overhead flourescent lighting and man, what i difference it has made! i used to slave under the heat of one of those dual 1000watt halogen lamps sitting over my right shoulder.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Jan 01, 2008, 03:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,767 Posts
Sorry I meant 4'x8' station. I have 2 of them and then quite aa bit of other counter space that is also full of crap! I really will have to stop and clean up after the MIG and A-1 are done.
You were smart in changing lights. You really can't get enough light.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2008, 07:56 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
I didn't want to jump right in now, but I've been wanting to build another jet lately and I wanted to do something older. Between the me-262 and f-86.... That said I thought the f-86 was a good candidate for my new lathe being the rounded fuse.

Would this be ok to show my build here, or should I go elsewhere?

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper