HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:10 PM
Registered User
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Good pics!
So what's next on the list J?

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:00 AM
Now in TN!
J Morgan's Avatar
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Hey FJ,
I'll be doing a 1/7th scale FW-190 D9 from plans by Hans-Joachim. And after that it will be wowplanes B-26, 60" ws. Dora will be a FG fuse. The Marauder will be foam, balsa skinned and then glassed. Should be an interesting Dec & Jan.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:52 AM
Registered User
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Awesome! Can't wait!

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:34 AM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
DeltaDart's Avatar
United States, CA, Hilmar-Irwin
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
Yeah, looking forward to it J.
DeltaDart is offline Find More Posts by DeltaDart
Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2009, 09:01 PM
Now in TN!
J Morgan's Avatar
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
The F-86 at SEFF 2009. Vid by ATIS.
John Morgans F-86 at SEFF (3 min 37 sec)


J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:01 PM
Now in TN!
J Morgan's Avatar
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Just finished remotoring the F-86. Changed fro twins in the wing tanks to a single Scorpion 3026-890 in the tail. Removed the cooling scoops from the tanks and rebuilt the rear with fins.Made new batt hatch so it can be changed from the bottom. Before the wing had to be removed. Power is now a XPS 4s-5000 30/50C batt. We'll see how she scoots at SEFF!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
I've half a mind...
docrob's Avatar
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Just finished remotoring the F-86. Changed fro twins in the wing tanks to a single Scorpion 3026-890 in the tail. Removed the cooling scoops from the tanks and rebuilt the rear with fins.Made new batt hatch so it can be changed from the bottom. Before the wing had to be removed. Power is now a XPS 4s-5000 30/50C batt. We'll see how she scoots at SEFF!

J
That is looking absolutely beautiful, J. Close up, your work looks even better than it does from a distance.

Did you have major issues in rebalancing? I would think the Scorpion so far back in the tail would need a huge offset in terms of forward battery placement.

Awesome work as usual.

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
DELTAS RULE
corsair nut's Avatar
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,831 Posts
yeah!!!!! no more scoops! fins look great, and battery box is a nice touch too!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:50 PM
Now in TN!
J Morgan's Avatar
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob View Post
That is looking absolutely beautiful, J. Close up, your work looks even better than it does from a distance.

Did you have major issues in rebalancing? I would think the Scorpion so far back in the tail would need a huge offset in terms of forward battery placement.

Awesome work as usual.

Doc
Hey Dc!
Nice to hear from you! Yep, balancing issues but I knew it going in. My AUW before was about 6.5 lbs. Now it is ~8 lbs. The Scorpion weighs around 7.5( gained about 4 oz) oz and the new batt is about 19 oz( gained 7 oz). Then I had to add almost 8 oz of lead to the nose to balance her. But she's got over 900 watts now and the same motor flies my 8 lb piggy F-84F very well so I don't forsee any problems at all. This thing has a great wing on it and that makes alot of difference.
I had installed flaps in the original build but didin't hook them up. They are now though and should work well for landing.

Thanks Nut,
The batt box will be REAL handy! I just hate having to take a wing off to load a battery.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:47 PM
Registered User
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
that looks amazing once again J. do you think she'll make vegas again this year?
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:06 AM
Now in TN!
J Morgan's Avatar
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,192 Posts
Yep, she'll be at Vegas.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:22 AM
I've half a mind...
docrob's Avatar
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Hey Dc!
Nice to hear from you! Yep, balancing issues but I knew it going in. My AUW before was about 6.5 lbs. Now it is ~8 lbs. The Scorpion weighs around 7.5( gained about 4 oz) oz and the new batt is about 19 oz( gained 7 oz). Then I had to add almost 8 oz of lead to the nose to balance her. But she's got over 900 watts now and the same motor flies my 8 lb piggy F-84F very well so I don't forsee any problems at all. This thing has a great wing on it and that makes alot of difference.
I had installed flaps in the original build but didin't hook them up. They are now though and should work well for landing.

Thanks Nut,
The batt box will be REAL handy! I just hate having to take a wing off to load a battery.

J
WOW!!!!! 4+7+8 = 19 oz increase (if my geography is correct ). Man, you're gonna need those flaps coming in. Looking forward to the Vegas flying vids.

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:40 PM
Living a Dream
Hans-Joachim's Avatar
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,087 Posts
J, she looks great and will fly and roll good!

Mhh, all pictures are taken in direction to your shop-door. .. I feel, that I know the little surprise you were talking about.

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:09 PM
Registered User
Waltjg's Avatar
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks great John! Can't wait to see it! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GAD Northrop F-5a build thread roccobro Pusher Prop Jet Models 172 Dec 27, 2008 09:59 PM
Build Log F-86 build thread TFLG Slope 76 Apr 26, 2007 10:00 AM
P/F-80 Build Thread....the beginning... Kirkgh Slope 53 Nov 19, 2004 12:37 PM
Jet Hanger Hobbies F-14 build thread? speleopower Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 14 Jul 23, 2004 03:48 AM
Discussion Indoor foam Ultimate for IPS build thread jpflyer 3D Flying 162 Jan 21, 2004 03:55 PM