HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:28 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,161 Posts
Nice 86 Bob! Sad to hear that. UPS

beanie,
Great, I get a new ink cartridge. Sounds like it will be perfect. Thanks so much, sorry to cause you all this trouble.......

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:36 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
hey J, no trouble at all. i had time on my hands last 2 days, so i worked on it almost non-stop. it took me away from the cougar plans for a little. i'll get her finished up for you hopefully within the next week. then it's back on to the cougar and another side project for one of our fellow pusher prop jet buddies.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:39 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,161 Posts
You'll love the Cougar.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:47 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
You'll love the Cougar.

J
i already do! its got beautiful lines... just like the F-20 and F-5's i have to build. so, side question here. if the motor appears to be inline with the centerline thrust, how come we still need some down thrust? i'm a little worried because i didn't design any downthrust into my F-105, Boeing 727 and MiG-15. do i need to be worried about those birds and should i engineer a fix for them?
-beanie
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
i already do! its got beautiful lines... just like the F-20 and F-5's i have to build. so, side question here. if the motor appears to be inline with the centerline thrust, how come we still need some down thrust? i'm a little worried because i didn't design any downthrust into my F-105, Boeing 727 and MiG-15. do i need to be worried about those birds and should i engineer a fix for them?
-beanie
If you check closely you'll see that the thrustline IS actually below the centerline. I placed the motor mount as low as possible so that I didn't have to cut any more than necessary from the vertical fin for the prop to clear. To be safe I put in a couple of degrees downthrust.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:17 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,751 Posts
ben, your doing 1/8 scale mig 15 plans for J!!! aw man, that would be too cool to have them both!! im DEFINATELY going to build your COUGAR BEN!!!!!!!!!! oh man, thats one purdy bird...not as purday as the 86....but pretty sweet none the less!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:24 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
hey CN, i'd be honored if you built the MiG-15 and/or Cougar from the plans i'm developing. i've already basically completed the MiG-15 plans at 1/11th scale, so it was just a matter of some tedious work converting all the small corners and such that don't scale (ie, thickness of foam). i'm thinking that it may not be all that hard to convert the plans to EDF since that is one of your fortes. it'd just be a matter of cutting out the formers and the middle section of the planform.

J- thanks for the tip. i didn't even think about how much the prop would cut into the fin. she didn't just balance easily by battery placement right? (and hence the need for that missing nose weight?) i was thinking that if she was easy to balance that i'd consider taking a look to see what she might look like with a stick motor mount to get the prop to clear the fin. but if nose weight was needed, then the last thing i'd want to do is to add motor weight even further aft.

-beanie
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:35 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,161 Posts
The Panther required a little nose weight. The Cougar balanced fine with just battery.
My batts on both are up close to the front , within 3" of the nose on the Panther and about 4" on the Cougar. Same setup.....SPJ now on 7x5, CC25A, 3s-2070 batteries.
I've never been a big lover of stick mounts but hey, just my opinion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:53 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,729 Posts
yeah, after seeing your F-105 Thud build, you've converted me over to the firewall mount method. i originally used the stick mount option because that is the way steve did it. but i think i'll convert over to the firewall mount and do the cut away like you did. i probably should have done that for my MiG-15 as well.
-beanie
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:40 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,751 Posts
a "huge" THANKS TO j FOR THE DRAWAINGS! they showed up today... :O bigger than i though! holy cow, glad we didnt go 60"! this thing will need a 90mm fan for sure. im considering making a plug/mold of this baby...i think the market needs a SCALE F-86 this size, light weight for EDF. thanks again grandpa! my wife even saiod she would support me on this one..a miracle in itself! ;p
Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:40 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
a "huge" THANKS TO j FOR THE DRAWAINGS! they showed up today... :O bigger than i though! holy cow, glad we didnt go 60"! this thing will need a 90mm fan for sure. im considering making a plug/mold of this baby...i think the market needs a SCALE F-86 this size, light weight for EDF. thanks again grandpa! my wife even saiod she would support me on this one..a miracle in itself! ;p
It is big looking on paper, we'll see how that translates to 3D.
I know it sure helps when your wife supports you instead of fighting it. Tell her she earned a couple of "atta boys" from me!
I'm going to do some measuring today, looking at that wing, and check on the 1" root thickness, etc.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:56 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,751 Posts
they always look bigger on paper i think its going to be a SWEET size. should fly awsome!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,289 Posts
Well I got a Nice new Haoye 90mm 7 blade fan and a Hot new motor to try in it
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:05 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,751 Posts
90mm is PERFECT for this bird, and i can keep the inlet 100% scale.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,161 Posts
I cut out some of the F-86 today since the primer was drying on the A-1H.
This is a 100% size Steve Shumate F-15 sitting on it. Oh yeah, it's gonna be big. And that might be an understatement.

J
RCG Plus Member