RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2008, 07:49 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
Jeez, it looked like he had it made and then "BAM". You know, we can say what we will about gassers, but the B-25 really sounded great on takeoff.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old May 13, 2008, 08:01 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,501 Posts
Someone that can build that nice, and still hasn't figured out what "pilot" positions are for? I'm suprised the director of the event let them stand out there?
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old May 13, 2008, 08:06 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,579 Posts
Yeah, it sounded great. That reminds me of when we were flying at SEFF on Station #1 and that 130 mph wing whizzed by us about 10' out over the runway. Scared the crap out of me and then I look down the line to see who was flying it. It was a kid that looked like he was 8 years old!!!!!!!! I couldn't help but think what would have happened if he had Brent's allergies and sneezed!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2008, 08:30 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
I hate to be this way, but that's when complaints need to be filed. Not after someone gets hurt. And the age of the pilot is really irrelevant. Dangerous flying is dangerous flying, period!

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old May 13, 2008, 06:26 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,579 Posts
I guess since they let the other planes putt by down the runway, they thought it was alright for the fast jobs too. We lived for another day at least.
This is the slow time in the build, waiting on epoxy, etc.
I sanded the plug again this morning to remove the blemishes that I mudded last night.
Then gave it a coat of epoxy which took until this afternoon to dry. Once dry I wet sanded the plug and then gave it two coats of wax. Tomorrow morning I will give it yet another coat of wax and then a coat of PVA. Hopefully I can lay the glass Thursday.
A couple of pics of it epoxied.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Looking Great J!

RAFster
David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old May 13, 2008, 10:13 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Someone that can build that nice, and still hasn't figured out what "pilot" positions are for? I'm suprised the director of the event let them stand out there?
Funny that you say that. I've noticed that the bigger and more expensive the plane is the more likely the pilot stands where they want... often right on the runway.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old May 14, 2008, 12:17 AM
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Maybe it is part of natural selection in action, if they stand on the runway long enough eventually natural selection kicks in and they are no longer a pilot but a patient in some extended care facility after the accident.
Thinning the gene pool?

Sow bears can lose fear of humans by their mother's demonstration and with time that lack of fear of humans leads to bad encounters that get the mom killed and later the cubs. More thinning of gene pools...
Old May 14, 2008, 12:24 AM
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
So J, do you use about 10 yards of cloth per plane if a bolt of cloth is around 100 yards give or take 10%.
Do you use satin weave, plain weave, twill weave, etc.?
Single layer or multiple layers for the bottom?

Ever try kevlar cloth beneath the belly for improved strength? Or carbon cloth?

David
Old May 14, 2008, 06:47 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,579 Posts
No, it's not 10 yds per plane David. Maybe if I covered them three times each. The rolls are usually plain weave and can't remember how much. But like I said, they will cover about 10 planes each. That's the 25" wide rolls. Last time I got the 14" rolls that I really like, much easier to handle. Sometimes I'll double layer the bottom, sometimes not. And no, haven't tried Kevlar or carbon cloth.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Guess bolt size or roll size varies...14" wide rolls, pretty narrow but the ticket for your size aircraft.

The Kevlar or Carbon cloth, or kevlar & carbon cloth have different properties...
The Kevlar is good for abrasion resistance when on an exterior but with our painted finishes it gives better performance in the nose of belly landers being less likely to crack or dent. Carbon improves the rigidity of the area it is used. Kevlar can keep pieces of a bad crash where the fuse does crack together so it doesn't break up.
I've seen strips of carbon or kevlar used in fuse layups.

Slope soarer I fly with spent his career in composites and he has more knowledge on them than I could ever hope to learn in my lifetime. My level of knowledge on composites is by comparison a thimble full.

Kevlar tow along the leading edge will give you a stronger leading edge that resists dents or cracks. Very easy and inexpensive way to beef up a flat plate wing you fiberglass.

David
Old May 14, 2008, 05:59 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,579 Posts
I'll have to try some Kevlar and carbon at some point. I like new learning experiences.

Got off to a fast start this morning, aanother coat of wax and then PVA. The PVA usually dries slow but today it did well and was dry by 1:00PM. So I started glassing.
Wow. Now I knew this isn't the perfect way to do it and I would assume it is harder applying the glass on a round fuse on a spit than the conventional female mold layup.
But I finally got it. Glass sagging as I roll it over, epoxy trying to kick off, etc. It is done, I will have more surface finishing than I wanted but hope that it will come out all right. I'll sand and give a microballoon coat tomorrow to help the outside finish better. Then wet sand, split, and pull of the plug.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2008, 11:51 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
I'll have to try some Kevlar and carbon at some point. I like new learning experiences.

Got off to a fast start this morning, aanother coat of wax and then PVA. The PVA usually dries slow but today it did well and was dry by 1:00PM. So I started glassing.
Wow. Now I knew this isn't the perfect way to do it and I would assume it is harder applying the glass on a round fuse on a spit than the conventional female mold layup.
But I finally got it. Glass sagging as I roll it over, epoxy trying to kick off, etc. It is done, I will have more surface finishing than I wanted but hope that it will come out all right. I'll sand and give a microballoon coat tomorrow to help the outside finish better. Then wet sand, split, and pull of the plug.

J

Uncle....she looks amazing, but I have one request?

Can you PLEASE let some of us catch up just a little before you go setting a new standard?

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old May 15, 2008, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
What weight cloth are you using on your fuse layups like this? 6 oz, 4oz, 2oz or the delicate 0.75 oz?

I presume something more substantial than 0.5 oz or 0.75 oz used on small parkjets...