HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:31 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Discussion
The sequel video to "pontoon boat landing"

Greeting Gents,

I have completed my second video and as promised I present it to you. This video took place on a sandbar on Torch lake. Brused but not battered I have to prove it to myself that I can fly over water and catch it at the end. It's a beautiful lake, and a beautiful day. Here's the video: Torch Lake, Michigan

On a happy note, I've already sent out my Christmas list to aquire all the upgrades to become a full FPVer. Thanks to Twinturbostang he gave me many great ideas and I'm lookin forward to this project,

Cheers, David T.
rvski is offline Find More Posts by rvski
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2007, 07:44 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Hi David,

It looks like the video is protected or marked as private.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Nov 12, 2007, 08:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know you could do that, I found the problem, try it now
Old Nov 12, 2007, 08:27 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
Again awesome video as the last! Its like being in paradise! About half way through the video I started to wonder how you are going to land again! How do you protect your electronics from the water?
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:29 AM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp
Again awesome video as the last! Its like being in paradise! About half way through the video I started to wonder how you are going to land again! How do you protect your electronics from the water?

You know, I never thought to protect it. I just did it off the cuff. Fool hearty I know, but I just ran with it. I was on vacation, the sun was warm, my wife was happy, I had a cooler of beer, and I just wanted to play. It wasn't my intention to put it my equipment in harms way, truely I really thought I could catch it! As many times as I caught it on land, I thought it was going to be a piece on cake, and yet I buckled under pressure! For the record, I quickly plucked the plane from the water, ripped it apart and dried it, laying it in the sun. Some say the third time is the charm, I'm not a betting man, I won't try it again!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:03 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
But does your stuff survive?
I think if you unplug the battery quickly and open everything to dry them inside, probably everything will survive. But it was not possible for you to do that. So I'm curious to know if you open later and clean carefully everything if the components will survive?
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:12 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
rvski: Very cool! You'll get it one of these days. Looks like you intentionally pulled the elevator at the last second though.

BTW, thanks for the note. Can't remember what "great" ideas I gave you. But your welcome!
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:49 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
Looks like you need to get some Corrosion X on your stuff, that stuff's good enough to let you use your plane as a submarine and still have it working
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:57 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Looks like you need to get some Corrosion X on your stuff, that stuff's good enough to let you use your plane as a submarine and still have it working
Are you serious
How do you apply it, in spray I imagine, but do you apply it directly on the electronic circuit
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
202 Posts
Hmmm we have Corrosion X at work. Really folks, the plane flys fine, and everything works. The time it hit the water, I got it out within a second or two. Even if lost some componants, I did it for fun, things can be replaced. I'm a full time Cessna Citation mechanic, replacings part is my living. It's second nature to me, at worst case scenario my Berg reciever goes by-by, eat crow and put out my wallet and get a new one. Life lessons learned, my bad! I'm still glad I tried it.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:07 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
Are you serious
How do you apply it, in spray I imagine, but do you apply it directly on the electronic circuit
corrosion x is non conductive you can basically soak w/e you want in it and it'll work just fine you have to be careful with the camera not to get it on the lens its greacy. that stuff does wonders especialy on float planes i use it all the time, on full scales we usualy spray the insides every 2 years. Altho I doubt its good enough to really save your electronics if your plane flips over and everything gets soaked in water but it'll definately help preventing corrosion/ problems from the water mist
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:10 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
and, if you can't find corrosion x there's something similar called inox. i use it on my boats. have had all the electronics go under and still work 100% when pulled out. i'm also very bad about leaving everything open to dry, so i can definitely say it keeps things working.

great videos!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:52 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvski
at worst case scenario my Berg reciever goes by-by, eat crow and put out my wallet and get a new one.
This is not a bad thing if it scrap...
it is not very good for FPV because it have poor range
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:33 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
When we played with floatplanes with a friend of mine on holiday we found out that:
- GWS Naro servos don't care that much, apart from the cosmetic effect of the rust on the screws
- RX have very poor behavior when wet (noooo?), opened it countless times to let it dry in the sun
- ESC's really don't like that, we fried one each. The worst is that they won't fry right after they've gotten wet, but that can be a couple of days later when corrosion comes. And of course, in flight, otherwise it wouldn't be funny.
Mine had the motor starting to do weird things while downwind, I turned back, aligned the plane, and there I lost everything. The landing spot was about 10m x 5m, and the plane flew the last 30m and landed perfectly on its own
A few output transistors were fried, which shorted the battery, which melted the solder where the battery wire was attached to the ESC. So it acted like a fuse and disconnected the battery. So, no more radio of course.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:42 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Well I've been a little slow of the forum these days but very cool video!!! So what a good excuse to go sight seeing.... yeah all those babes gone wet and wild after a few beers!!! Very cool lake! Looks like a little piece of Paradise!!!
So these days I am seriously thinking of using two bamboo poles with fish nets. Have them mobile and propped up to catch my EZ*!! I keep looking at my steep back yard because I live on a hill side; taking off and landing into my soft nets will be a cool thing! I can even take this idea on to my buddy's sail boat and do some great video shots of the gulf islands around my area. Just got to be careful to not land on the salt water!!!
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH