HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:05 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Help!
Jeti Spin box - How to configure?

I can't figure out how to connect the spin box to program the ESC. I've read through the instructions many times, I can't figure this thing out.

The display show "impulse generator"... I've tried several different configurations and STILL can't figure out how to get this thing to work.

Thanks,
Bob
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:29 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,932 Posts
connect the ESC to the connector with the + - and signal label. Do not connect anything to the other port

Connect a battery to the ESC. Your spinbox should boot up and be in ESC programming mode. If it's in one of the other modes (which I have no idea how to use) then press the down key a few times... Mine does this occasionally but will change to ESC programming mode if I futz with it.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:41 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
What ronin4740 says works if your ESC is not an Opto. If it's an Opto you have to also plug an Rx battery into the other socket on the box -- this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the instructions.

It should then display the ESC type, and then go into programming mode.

By the way, once the box has detected the type of ESC that's attached, I find it easier to use the flowchart on the instructions, rather than the words, to do the programming
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Thanks for the help...

Yep it's an Opto 48, and I've tried the above suggestions, and it still won't boot up into ESC programming mode. I'm pretty sure I have tried every single wiring configuration and the box just won't boot up. It goes right into "Waiting for input device", then switches to "Impluse Generator".

1. Motor leads attached.
2. Plug the ESC "black" plug into +-S port (top most port)
3. RX battery into the lower port.
4. Main battery to ESC.

The display shows "Impulse Generator". I tried the arrow buttons in every direction.

So, I guess it's one of two things, the box is bad, or the esc is bad... I have used the ESC to run-up the motor so I know it at least does something

Bob
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,461 Posts
The Opto isolated hacker-jeti ESCs have a second three wire lead which is not opto isolated and does provide power to the jeti-prog box.

From memory the lead that goes to the receiver from the ESC has a black plug on it, and the one that is used with the prog-box has an orange plug on the end.

PeterO
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:17 AM
Massachussets
Joined Nov 2005
233 Posts
I went thru the same problem on the Spin 99. It turned out that I had the wrong lead connected to the receiver. The shorter lead with the red connector goes to the programming box and the other lead goes to the receiver. I had it the other way around.
The short lead has a sticker on it that is marked "RX" for reciever. But if you look closely it has a cirle with a line thru it, like a traffic sign which stands for "not to reciever". By the way you don't need to have the reciever turned on.
wingster is offline Find More Posts by wingster
Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:53 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterO_UK
The Opto isolated hacker-jeti ESCs have a second three wire lead which is not opto isolated and does provide power to the jeti-prog box.
That's interesting As you'll have gathered I've only got regular Jeti Spins so I was going by what I have to do with my Jeti Advance Optos and their programming card.

So, why does the Spin programming box have a second socket on it for battery input
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:21 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
For use with optocoupled speed controls, and also for things like the servo exerciser function where an ESC would not be involved....
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Dec 01, 2007, 07:08 PM
ldg
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
I just got a Spin33 and Spin Box from Hobby Lobby - I plug the speed controller into the '+ - signal' port, turn on the battery switch but all I can get is the "IMPULS GENERATOR" message. I cant get it to recognize the ESC and display the setup pages despite much pressing of buttons.
Any suggestions before I send it back?
Would it be the ESC or spin box ? (The ESC powers the motor fine)
Many thanks,
Luke
ldg is offline Find More Posts by ldg
Old Dec 02, 2007, 05:19 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,358 Posts
This might help some:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...70&postcount=8
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers