SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2008, 02:38 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
I'm not sure of the weight of the recomended Turnigy motor...but I am using 2100-2200/ 15-25C packs...still plenty light enough....I only have to position them with about 1" to 1 1/2" past the opening. Depending on the pack, my heavest AUW is just a little over 21 ozs. The added weight helps in the wind, and with flat spins and more...it's still plenty floaty too. I love flying this plane so much...I can't imagine settling for shorter flight times by running anything smaller than a 2100 15C pack. Also I agree with whoever said that you shouldn't have to move a heavier pack so far forward.

If I could get away with a 5000 mah pack I would...once I get this plane in the air...I just don't want to land it. HEY!!!! wait...has anyone tried that??!!?? (lol)

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme
I'm not sure of the weight of the recomended Turnigy motor...but I am using 2100-2200/ 15-25C packs...still plenty light enough....I only have to position them with about 1" to 1 1/2" past the opening. Depending on the pack, my heavest AUW is just a little over 21 ozs. The added weight helps in the wind, and with flat spins and more...it's still plenty floaty too. I love flying this plane so much...I can't imagine settling for shorter flight times by running anything smaller than a 2100 15C pack. Also I agree with whoever said that you shouldn't have to move a heavier pack so far forward.

If I could get away with a 5000 mah pack I would...once I get this plane in the air...I just don't want to land it. HEY!!!! wait...has anyone tried that??!!?? (lol)

Bill
21 oz with 2200 pack is pretty light. I just checked mine and it is 22 oz with PowerFlight Evo 1350's which are pretty light batteries (100 grams). If I put a 2200 battery in mine it would weigh 2 to 3 oz more. I have the Torque 20T/1025 (about the same motor as a Hacker 20-20L) with a 10x4.7 SF prop and I would not want to put a 2200 battery in the plane as pull out from a hover would be very slow. It is slow as it is compared to my Yak with the Hacker 20-20L and 10x4.7 SF with 1320 TP Prolites. The Yak climbs like crazy, but not the Extra.

I had my CG on the Extra at 3.75 and the plane would not stay in a hover very well. I moved it back to about 4 and it seems to hover pretty good now. I also changed the expo on the rudder and elevator from 35 to 15 and that seemed to help a bunch as well.

I had the plane in the car this afternoon as I went flying at lunch hour and I see the decals started to bubble and the edges started rolling up and the car was maybe only 80 in there. I may have to get an air brush and learn to paint. Plus it would make the plane lighter instead of having the entire plane covered in vinyl. While the decals for my Yak was a pain because of all the pieces you had to put on separately, it was lighter and they looked better than the printed decals.
msprygada is offline Find More Posts by msprygada
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:14 PM
Joined May 2006
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msprygada
While the decals for my Yak was a pain because of all the pieces you had to put on separately, it was lighter and they looked better than the printed decals.
ouch lol

casey g
casey g is offline Find More Posts by casey g
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:10 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Aww poor casey!

Don't take it so hard lad, many people love your schemes! I am one of those.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
Old Apr 24, 2008, 03:00 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
Quote:
21 oz with 2200 pack is pretty light. I just checked mine and it is 22 oz with PowerFlight Evo 1350's which are pretty light batteries (100 grams). If I put a 2200 battery in mine it would weigh 2 to 3 oz more. I have the Torque 20T/1025 (about the same motor as a Hacker 20-20L) with a 10x4.7 SF prop and I would not want to put a 2200 battery in the plane as pull out from a hover would be very slow. It is slow as it is compared to my Yak with the Hacker 20-20L and 10x4.7 SF with 1320 TP Prolites. The Yak climbs like crazy, but not the Extra.

I had my CG on the Extra at 3.75 and the plane would not stay in a hover very well. I moved it back to about 4 and it seems to hover pretty good now. I also changed the expo on the rudder and elevator from 35 to 15 and that seemed to help a bunch as well.

I had the plane in the car this afternoon as I went flying at lunch hour and I see the decals started to bubble and the edges started rolling up and the car was maybe only 80 in there. I may have to get an air brush and learn to paint. Plus it would make the plane lighter instead of having the entire plane covered in vinyl. While the decals for my Yak was a pain because of all the pieces you had to put on separately, it was lighter and they looked better than the printed decals.

Well, maybe my scale is off...I thought that seemed kinda light. All I know is...I love the way it flies even if it is heavy. And the Turnigy motor w/ 11 x 5.5 prop. pulls out pretty well. I like my CG at the 4" mark also...may even try another 1/4 inch back. As far as the decals go...I took some scotch tape left over from Christmas and wraped the edges. It's not going to peal now, and you can't even really see it (Magic tape). I still have a little fiddling to get it really dialed in...but I'm very happy with this plane.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:48 AM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
750 Posts
Quote:
Well, maybe my scale is off...I thought that seemed kinda light. All I know is...I love the way it flies even if it is heavy. And the Turnigy motor w/ 11 x 5.5 prop. pulls out pretty well. I like my CG at the 4" mark also...may even try another 1/4 inch back. As far as the decals go...I took some scotch tape left over from Christmas and wraped the edges. It's not going to peal now, and you can't even really see it (Magic tape). I still have a little fiddling to get it really dialed in...but I'm very happy with this plane.
Don't get me wrong, I love this plane too. And it is getting better as I am adjusting the CG and the expo. From the start, KE's were great. Get it locked and I can do KE ovals around the airfield. Harriers have some rock but so does my Yak and since they are so similar, this was somewhat expected. If someone has hints on how to eliminate or reduce it, please chime in. I like the look of the full fuse better as well and the fuse is much stiffer. At first hovers were not easy to hold (CG @ 3.75") so I moved the battery back and removed some expo and it seems easier to hold but only got one flight in with the new adjustments so I will see how the next few flights go.

But I think putting the full coverage decals on this plane pushed the weight of this plane over the limit for a Hacker 20-20L motor and 1300 sized battery setup, to a plane that needs a larger motor and battery. Thus you loose some of the light wing loading but still light compared to say the Eflite Extra 260 which comes in at 28 to 30 oz for the same sized plane.

And that is the problem, I have the Torque 20T/1025 (simular to Hacker 20-20L) and I need to find a slightly larger motor and go to the 2100 batteries. Currently the pull out from hover is slow and would like this to be better. Can people give me suggestions on what they are using for a motor. I have a Torque 2830T/1095 that I can put in here, is this too large (70 grams)? Is there a better sized motor.

And if I want something really light on the wing, then I will just fly my Yak.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:51 AM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
Aww poor casey!

Don't take it so hard lad, many people love your schemes! I am one of those.
I love the schemes too...I bought the RC Universe just because it looked so good. It would be nice if the colors were dark and did not that faded look (like not enough ink was sprayed on the vinyl).
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:55 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,819 Posts
Quote:
I love the schemes too...I bought the RC Universe just because it looked so good. It would be nice if the colors were dark and did not that faded look (like not enough ink was sprayed on the vinyl).
Agreed.

And my decals are also peeling. No biggie - I just smoosh them down as part of preflight. I'll probably also have to go the tape route when the weather gets warmer.

As far as the plane goes, I've put a bunch of flights on it now, and am getting more and more comfortable with it. It definitely flies very nicely. I'm trying to track down a vibration at about 3/4 throttle that makes the plane very loud in the air, but aside from that, I'm very happy with the Turnigy motor, 11x5.5 and the TP 2100.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:15 AM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Quote:
But I think putting the full coverage decals on this plane pushed the weight of this plane over the limit for a Hacker 20-20L motor and 1300 sized battery setup, to a plane that needs a larger motor and battery. Thus you loose some of the light wing loading but still light compared to say the Eflite Extra 260 which comes in at 28 to 30 oz for the same sized plane.
Haven't started my Extra yet. But I have a goal of 18-19oz with the Hacker 20/20 and TP1320's. With an 11X5.5E prop it should be plenty. Time will tell if it has enough oomph.

I really like the light floaty planes after I have been flying an EPP Flash at 14oz. That plane still handles 20MPH winds and I expect the Extra to do even better. At 14oz's the Flash gets yanked around like nobody's bussines.

I don't plan on using the decals. (although they do look very nice!) I just prefer a light paint and solid color with high contrast. I will also be belly landing without the gear to save a little more wait. I land in some pretty tall and rough fields where even 3" wheels catch a snag.

This weekend is shaping up to be wet and cold... should be easier to take my time with the build.

Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:59 AM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.O.N.
Haven't started my Extra yet. But I have a goal of 18-19oz with the Hacker 20/20 and TP1320's. With an 11X5.5E prop it should be plenty. Time will tell if it has enough oomph.

I really like the light floaty planes after I have been flying an EPP Flash at 14oz. That plane still handles 20MPH winds and I expect the Extra to do even better. At 14oz's the Flash gets yanked around like nobody's bussines.

I don't plan on using the decals. (although they do look very nice!) I just prefer a light paint and solid color with high contrast. I will also be belly landing without the gear to save a little more wait. I land in some pretty tall and rough fields where even 3" wheels catch a snag.

This weekend is shaping up to be wet and cold... should be easier to take my time with the build.

Andy
If you can keep it in that 18 to 19 AUW with the Hacker 20-20 you will be happy with the performance. This is the power system I have on my Yak and it weighs 19 AUW and it has great pull out from hover (where you need power most). I think that anything over 19 you start getting outside that sweet spot for that motor.

What will you be painting yours with? Airbrush?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:01 AM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster
Agreed.

And my decals are also peeling. No biggie - I just smoosh them down as part of preflight. I'll probably also have to go the tape route when the weather gets warmer.

As far as the plane goes, I've put a bunch of flights on it now, and am getting more and more comfortable with it. It definitely flies very nicely. I'm trying to track down a vibration at about 3/4 throttle that makes the plane very loud in the air, but aside from that, I'm very happy with the Turnigy motor, 11x5.5 and the TP 2100.
Have you balanced your prop? Most people don't but it can make a big difference. Make sure that the prop is tight on the motor shaft, otherwise it will be off center and that will cause problems as well.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 01:08 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Quote:
What will you be painting yours with? Airbrush?
No airbrush yet. I have been using Krylon spray paint and just making a light dusting.

Kinda like my Bipe was. There are a bunch of pics on that page... (for those who haven't seen them. )

The extra is going to get black tiger stripes though. Should be neat lookin.

Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 01:39 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.O.N.
No airbrush yet. I have been using Krylon spray paint and just making a light dusting.

Kinda like my Bipe was. There are a bunch of pics on that page... (for those who haven't seen them. )

The extra is going to get black tiger stripes though. Should be neat lookin.

Andy
Do you just do a couple of light coats of Krylon to get rich color? And do you know how polycrylic clear coat first, sticks to the dupron?? Krylon on top of that? Will the Krylon melt the foam if you get it too much at once??
Old Apr 24, 2008, 02:09 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,279 Posts
Most seem to be using a 11 x 5.5 prop. with the Turnigy 2217-16 motor. Do you think I would get a little more thrust using something like a 12 x 4 or 11 x 4 or 5 ??? Thoughts?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 02:22 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Do you just do a couple of light coats of Krylon to get rich color? And do you know how polycrylic clear coat first, sticks to the dupron?? Krylon on top of that? Will the Krylon melt the foam if you get it too much at once??

krylon acrylic spray is foam safe; water based and it gives a THICK gunky coverage. it's HEAVY though; this stuff spits like a pro basebal player... big sloppy splatters of gunk, weighs a ton compared to the stock schemes when you apply enough to get uniform coverage. I won't work with that stuff ever again.

better to get an airbrush kit and some thinned down acrylics.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz