Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:43 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
789 Posts
The flair in the ply is not a problem. That will correct itself when the rear tab on the crutch is fit into the slot in the fuse sides. When you put the sides on make sure the rear portion of the two sides match exactly and the top edges are even. That should take care of any slight twist.
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,569 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv
... make sure the rear portion of the two sides match exactly and the top edges are even. That should take care of any slight twist.
What do you mean, "match exactly"?

I took another look this morning and dry-fitted the sides. I wasn't really happy with how it looked, and didn't relish the though of trying to straighten out the fuse when gluing the sides on.

Looking down the crutch at the long ply pieces, I noticed that right at the last depron piece, the ply bulged up slightly on one side. Still no idea what happened, but I slid my knife under the depron, squeezed it together again, and reglued. I ended up doing the same sort of thing with the tail to straighten that a little. It looks much better now. Pics in a few minutes.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:22 AM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
I want to try the side force generators on the Extra...how did you make yours?
many ways to make it

i made mine out of the wood scraps after building the extra (little triangles from the side frame) but i later moved on to a fuller SFG, cut out from $1 foam at dollartree, it's simple, just a triangle that extends from the leading edge of the wing to the root of the wing (aileron) on the tip. mine is about 3.5 inches high and it worked so well, you could go big with it, but i think it's gonna ruin the look of the extra
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:23 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
FuryFlyer2 (Paul?)

On the front page of your website you have this picture that shows a stick mount motor attached to the firewall.

I've googled. I've looked......where did they get this motor mount from?

TIA,

Dave

[EDIT - found them here http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1916

it would be cool if you carried these to cater for more motor options, although I'm sure you cant carry everything everyone wants..]
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Last edited by aviatordave; Feb 18, 2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:27 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave
FuryFlyer2 (Paul?)

...although I'm sure you cant carry everything everyone wants..]

Don't tell the man what he can and can't do

Just kidding bud...

It's amazing the progress Paul's business has made in the past 2 years, started from scratch now he has a HUUUUGE array of products and it's growing all the time.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:30 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
I am going to try one of these mounts on one of my Foilz...just have to figure out which one!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
Joined Sep 2004
5,569 Posts
This looks better.

More dumb questions from the newbie, if you don't mind.

Step 11 has me "glue the crutch to one skin assembly from the nose to just behind the wing opening". Then, "glue the skin to the lower crutch member from the wing opening to the rear tab".

Then I repeat steps 10 and 11.

Step 12 is, "Glue the top rear edges of the fuselage together..."

When do I glue the skin to the top crutch member? And to the depron support piece?

Oh, and I've run out of kicker. I'm going to look it up, but I think I can use baking soda in water.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundoggy
This looks better.

More dumb questions from the newbie, if you don't mind.

Step 11 has me "glue the crutch to one skin assembly from the nose to just behind the wing opening". Then, "glue the skin to the lower crutch member from the wing opening to the rear tab".

Then I repeat steps 10 and 11.

Step 12 is, "Glue the top rear edges of the fuselage together..."

When do I glue the skin to the top crutch member? And to the depron support piece?

Oh, and I've run out of kicker. I'm going to look it up, but I think I can use baking soda in water.
No problem! You are only going to glue the fuse skin on right now...take your time on this step to make sure that the foam doublers are lined up correctly on the ply crutch. Apply the fuse skin from the motor mount back...work slowly since this is your first...I liked to apply a bead of CA and hit it with kicker...keep doing this moving toward the tail. Hope that helps...as far as the support pieces...I didn't glue those on until the fuse sides were completed
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
789 Posts
<When do I glue the skin to the top crutch member? And to the depron support piece?>

No need to glue the rear of the top crutch to the skin.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 04:42 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
I forgot...jfv is right...one you apply the top of the fuse...the depron support pieces are just that....support!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:10 PM
Joined Sep 2004
5,569 Posts
I've run a bead of CA along most of the edges between the upper and lower crutch pieces and the fuse skin from the wing forward.

From the wing back, I've glued the lower crutch to the skin similarly, with a bead of CA (should I do top and bottom?). You're saying I don't need to glue the top crutch piece to the skin? Or to the depron support? Wow. I don't think I would have realized that.

Though No need to glue the rear of the top crutch to the skin. is pretty clear.

If the rearmost part of the upper crutch is not even with the horizontal stab hole, should I try to align it to the top of the hole? Of course, if I'm not gluing it, it doesn't matter.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 07:52 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundoggy
I've run a bead of CA along most of the edges between the upper and lower crutch pieces and the fuse skin from the wing forward.

From the wing back, I've glued the lower crutch to the skin similarly, with a bead of CA (should I do top and bottom?). You're saying I don't need to glue the top crutch piece to the skin? Or to the depron support? Wow. I don't think I would have realized that.

Though No need to glue the rear of the top crutch to the skin. is pretty clear.

If the rearmost part of the upper crutch is not even with the horizontal stab hole, should I try to align it to the top of the hole? Of course, if I'm not gluing it, it doesn't matter.
That is perfect! Don't go crazy with the CA...don't want to add a bunch of unessary wait The foam doublers should align with the ply crutch...test fit before you glue...and yes the horizontal stab should fit cleanly on both sides...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:55 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
By the way...was out flying again today and I am confident in saying that the Extra 260 is the best all around Airfoilz Plane (heck all around plane that I have ever flown ) that has come out so far...I was pulling off high alpha knife edges at less that a foot off the ground...spins like my Edge...hovers like my Bipe...harriers are rock solid once you get it all balanced out. We are working on video still...coming soon!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:44 PM
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
W00t - The eagle has landed!

took awhile, but i got mine today!
Everything looks nice and minty

the scorpion 3008-32 should pull like a mother on a 12x6
kakisd is offline Find More Posts by kakisd
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
789 Posts
<If the rearmost part of the upper crutch is not even with the horizontal stab hole, should I try to align it to the top of the hole? Of course, if I'm not gluing it, it doesn't matter.>

As long as it doesn't interfere with the stab you can leave it alone. If it protrudes down into the slot for the stab, push it up, out of the way. You can tack it in place with some CA if you want.