HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:51 AM
Jordan "Woody" King
Joined Jan 2006
526 Posts
My scheme came yesterday in the mail and got it cut out today.. This thing looks BadAss!! I can't wait to see it all finished on the plane!

Woody
king160woody is offline Find More Posts by king160woody
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2007, 07:44 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
wow that is really nice, woody
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Nov 23, 2007, 04:40 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
guys, does Lowes carry micro balloons (the one mentioned in the manual)

i've never heard of that, is it required or can i just use lightweight spacklings
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:38 PM
los angeles
Joined Mar 2004
662 Posts
the micro balloons are finer powder but the spackling would work. anybody get up to the elavator yet? in the plans the elavator is cut different than what i got, looks like it's setup to notch the fuse so it can move. in the plans where the elavator joins is much narrower. how far have u gotten to brian?
skyhiflyhigh is offline Find More Posts by skyhiflyhigh
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:45 PM
Jordan "Woody" King
Joined Jan 2006
526 Posts
I just looked at the elevator also... Im not sure about this one... I will talk with paul in a little bit but im sure there is an easy answer.

Woody
king160woody is offline Find More Posts by king160woody
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:45 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
You get micro balloons from your hobby shop or on line http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...lons&search=Go

Micro balloons are VERY small hollow glass spheres that are used as a filler. When mixed with epoxy they help reduce the weight. In the manual the fillet of epoxy and micro balloons is used to attached the wing to the fuselage. It provides a very strong and light weight joint. Spackle is just a filler and has NO strength. If you can't get the micro balloons just use a small fillet of epoxy.
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:54 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
skyhiflyhigh:

im done with the wings, and almost done with the fuselage, though i am worry about the elevator also, i can't figure out a way to slide the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator in without having to cut a notch so it would slide on like the profile airfoilz

jfv:

ok thank you, so i guess i'd be using 12 mins epoxy to make a tiny fillet to hold the wings on
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:38 PM
los angeles
Joined Mar 2004
662 Posts
brian u can't slide the elavator and stabilzer in to the fuse as one piece already hinged. u will either have to cut the elavator down like on the plans or cut a notch in the fuse so the elavator can move
Old Nov 23, 2007, 08:49 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhiflyhigh
brian u can't slide the elavator and stabilzer in to the fuse as one piece already hinged. u will either have to cut the elavator down like on the plans or cut a notch in the fuse so the elavator can move
i didnt hinge the elevator, im just wondering if anyone did cut a notch for it to slide in, i guess i'll do that
Old Nov 23, 2007, 09:43 PM
los angeles
Joined Mar 2004
662 Posts
oh... i thought u meant to cut a notch in the rear so u could slide it in from the rear instead of sliding it in from the side. the notch i'm talking about would be sorta a d shaped notch so that the elavator could move up and down
Old Nov 23, 2007, 09:52 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
The sequence is to add the carbon fiber elevator joiner then cut the bridge between the elevator halves out leaving only the carbon fiber rod between the elevator halves. Then cut the hinge slots in both the elevator and the stab, but don't glue the hinges in place. Slip the elevator through the slot, then slip the stab in the slot. Glue the stab in place. When the glue is dry, hinge the elevator to the stab. The only thing on the elevator going through the slot is the carbon fiber rod.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 09:55 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhiflyhigh
oh... i thought u meant to cut a notch in the rear so u could slide it in from the rear instead of sliding it in from the side. the notch i'm talking about would be sorta a d shaped notch so that the elavator could move up and down
OHHHH!!!! that's what u were talking about

well you dont have to, thats why airfoilz include the CF rod to hold the elevator while you cut the foam part in the middle, either way it still works
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:23 PM
los angeles
Joined Mar 2004
662 Posts
actually now that i think about it if u notch the fuse u'll have to cut through the plywood former to get up elevator to get down elevator just through the dupron. yeah we'll see what paul sez but i'm thinking about redoing the elevator, cut it down like on the plans, loose the cabon rod joiner and go with 1/4 in. balsa triangle stock on the leading edge of the elevator full lenght with a wire joiner for extra support. on the trailing edge of the stab go with 1/8th or maybe 1/16th by 1/4 in. balsa or .007 cabon fiber but u would have to be able to cut a slit in it for the hinges
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
I have built 5 of the prototypes with just the carbon fiber rod between the elevator halves and get 45 deg + throw on the elevator. Keep the hinge gap tight and just follow the manual and there will be no problems.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:30 AM
los angeles
Joined Mar 2004
662 Posts
i'm sure u can get plenty of throw with just the carbon joiner... i think i can get it alittle stiffer torsionally with a wire joiner by going with 1/4 in. square balsa in place of the cabon tube ( not full length of the elevator like i was saying before) with the leading edge sanded round and the wire joiner recessed into it. if i could just drill a couple of holes through the carbon tube and pin it with toothpicks or carbon rod i would do it that way