HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:24 PM
New Jersey
Joined Oct 2003
1,655 Posts
We have changed to a new vinyl that seams to be sticking very well, for some reason the printing changes the property of the glue, we were using a 2mil premium vinyl now we have gone to a 3mil econo that so far is not lifting up, all the new kits come with the new vinyl. The vinyl problem did not affect but 1% of the thousands of kits sold. But solid high performance vinyl sticks very well.

You can use any water based paint like Krylon H2O or Short Cuts.

Michael Yosten AirfoilZ Extra 260 (3 min 36 sec)
furyflyer2 is offline Find More Posts by furyflyer2
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:21 PM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyflyer2 View Post
We have changed to a new vinyl that seams to be sticking very well, for some reason the printing changes the property of the glue, we were using a 2mil premium vinyl now we have gone to a 3mil econo that so far is not lifting up, all the new kits come with the new vinyl. The vinyl problem did not affect but 1% of the thousands of kits sold. But solid high performance vinyl sticks very well.

You can use any water based paint like Krylon H2O or Short Cuts.

Michael Yosten AirfoilZ Extra 260 (3 min 36 sec) (3 min 36 sec)
If there is heat in the printing process...then there is your problem. If you have a problem getting a price sticker or UPS sticker off of a box, take a hair dryer to it and it lifts right off. The heat softens the glue. Like adding heat to glue from a hot glue gun.

Going to a thicker vinyl does not help the problem of the stickers being too heavy at 2mils. That is why I bought my own vinyl. I only add color and keep it to a minimum to keep the plane light. The printed graphics look great but you are covering white foam with white vinyl and the planes that I bought, the decals were mostly white so all that white was adding unnecessary weight to the plane. Plus you are covering the entire wings, most of the fuse, and tail feathers. I think a while back someone had measured the weight of the printed vinyl decals and they were like 2 oz if I remember. That is a lot of weight for a 20 oz plane (10%).
msprygada is offline Find More Posts by msprygada
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Oct 2003
1,655 Posts
The analogy has nothing to do with printed vinyl, it's $15K printer made for printing, if that was the case why print on vinyl at all? Foam is tuff to stick most things to.

Anyway, Yes going to the new vinyl has help 100% and sticks with no problem, it's sticks like the old solid color vinyl did. The new graphics no longer cover as much as the last graphics did see the new NX graphics. We are in the process of redoing all the graphics on the FF planes to a simpler design. Weight has never been a problem as 20oz for a light for a 40" plane in either case.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2009, 12:53 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
One tip I did with mine was cut away the extra "White" areas of the decals...that will save a bit! I really didn't have any issues with the decals after hitting them with the heat gun...just be careful!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2009, 03:06 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,558 Posts
I also cut the white out but after some time stuck the white parts on. I like covering the little dings the depron gets - it also seems to protect the foam and keeps it looking great.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Nov 03, 2009, 12:24 AM
United States, MS, LK CORMORANT
Joined Jan 2006
9 Posts
Thanks for the info, Guys. I'm getting another set from Paul and I'll try again. It's nice to get quick answers and great customer service from a company. It just doesn't happen that much anymore.

Thanks again,

Jim
jbalash is offline Find More Posts by jbalash
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:39 AM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,376 Posts
gents

is this motor suitable Turnigy 2217 16turn 1050kv for this bird?

I am on a budget
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Nov 07, 2009, 11:33 AM
Joined Sep 2004
5,558 Posts
That's what I have, Diablo, with an 11x5.5. I love it - almost 300 flights on mine.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:47 PM
New Jersey
Joined Oct 2003
1,655 Posts
Yes that motor will be fine.

http://3dxhobbies.com
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 08, 2009, 04:32 PM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,376 Posts
thanks for the info guys, my next question is regarding servos

I have a bunch of S75's from eflite, they seem a bit too small. Any suggestions for a decent servo? Maybe those 9gm ones from HobbyCity?
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Nov 08, 2009, 04:35 PM
Joined Sep 2004
5,558 Posts
I had 4 HXT900 (9g) servos on mine for the longest time, then went to an HS-65 on the elevator. They work fine for me, with the caveat that after about 200 flights an aileron servo quit in the air. I replaced it and the remaining ones (cheap insurance).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:29 PM
Maximus Decimus Meridius
Illinois
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
I just picked up the Katana NX and cant wait, anyone know if the NX planes have the same performance as the FF in 10 to 15mph winds? I would also like to give a heads up to a great deal on the Katana's over on RCU in the classifieds $59.99 shipped but there are only three left.
Tubeheadz is offline Find More Posts by Tubeheadz
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:54 PM
New Jersey
Joined Oct 2003
1,655 Posts
All Airfoilz NX planes can handle 25mph no problem.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:33 AM
Joined Oct 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeheadz View Post
I just picked up the Katana NX and cant wait, anyone know if the NX planes have the same performance as the FF in 10 to 15mph winds? I would also like to give a heads up to a great deal on the Katana's over on RCU in the classifieds $59.99 shipped but there are only three left.
Ive flown my Extra NX in about 15-20mph winds and it was good. The maiden was done on a 20mph day..
nitrobeast is offline Find More Posts by nitrobeast
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:17 AM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeheadz View Post
Do you have a link?
Thanks
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley