HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2009, 11:23 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv
I have flown it and it flies pretty well. I like it. The main difference I noticed was the the motor could have a bit more power as mine flies with more authority and with a higher top speed.
I agree...the top speed is lacking!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
Up,Up!up!!up!!!
Ashland, OR
Joined Jul 2009
731 Posts
How is the recommended power set up, motor, servos, etc. I really like the sounds of this plane. 200$ RR can't beat that.
gonzoman5 is offline Find More Posts by gonzoman5
Last edited by gonzoman5; Jul 12, 2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Because
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoman5
How is the recommended power set up, motor, servos, etc. I really like the sounds of this plane. 200$ RR can't beat that.

The combo is a great package. The Common Sense motor is light with gobs of power. With the APC 10x5E prop, there's just the right combination of speed and thrust.
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:10 PM
Up,Up!up!!up!!!
Ashland, OR
Joined Jul 2009
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv
The combo is a great package. The Common Sense motor is light with gobs of power. With the APC 10x5E prop, there's just the right combination of speed and thrust.
Great, thank you I'm ordering one as soon as I can. Also is there any really important things to look for in the build so I don't screw myself, beside what's been mentioned in this thread?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:10 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Great, thank you I'm ordering one as soon as I can. Also is there any really important things to look for in the build so I don't screw myself, beside what's been mentioned in this thread?

Not at all...but if you do have a question just ask!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 08:46 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
<Also is there any really important things to look for in the build so I don't screw myself.>

Just make sure the crutch is straight side to side before you do the final gluing. I test fit the crutch together first to make sure all the pieces fit and there is no twisting. Some times the notches are tight and if you just push the pieces together the crutch may develop a twist. Sand or file the notches if you have to. I tack glue mine together first, check that everything is straight, and then do the final gluing.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:42 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv
<Also is there any really important things to look for in the build so I don't screw myself.>

Just make sure the crutch is straight side to side before you do the final gluing. I test fit the crutch together first to make sure all the pieces fit and there is no twisting. Some times the notches are tight and if you just push the pieces together the crutch may develop a twist. Sand or file the notches if you have to. I tack glue mine together first, check that everything is straight, and then do the final gluing.
+1 on that! I mention that back in the build...but that is the most important part of the build
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
Up,Up!up!!up!!!
Ashland, OR
Joined Jul 2009
731 Posts
Great Tx fro the pointers!!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:27 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Great Tx fro the pointers!!
No worries...here to help! I have built a few of these
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:31 AM
Get It? - Got It!
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2007
454 Posts
Hacked AF Extra 260

I had my AF Extra 260 kit for about a year now and finally got around to building it, but I really like the looks (and hopefully flying characteristics) of the Extra 300L so I cut my own fuse sides out of 3mm depron and rudder out of 5mm depron. Everything else is pretty much stock except adding about another inch to the wing span. I hope to have this finish in the next couple of weeks (just a weekend builder) and will give a flight report, but I am really looking forward to getting this bird into the air.
Maverickk is online now Find More Posts by Maverickk
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:53 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
Looks great. That's a mighty big rudder you have there. How are you increasing the wing span? If you like the Extra 300 you have to try the new AirfoilZ Extra 300NX profile. It's an awesome flier.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:38 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Looks great! Look forward to your flight report!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:59 AM
Get It? - Got It!
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2007
454 Posts
Thanks The rudder may look big, but the area is still a fair amount less then my Flash or Parkmaster. I increased the wing span by separating the center joiner with some additional 3mm depron the spar comes to 1/2 of the wing tips.

I have the AF Extra 300NX profile on the way and I hope to have this by next week.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:43 PM
Get It? - Got It!
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2007
454 Posts
Here is an update after a quick paint job - almost ready to fly. The rudder may need to be trimmed down, but will evaluate after a test flight next week.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:46 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
408 Posts
Hey Guys, I had a AF Edge 540 up until I sat on it the other day (on my Birthday no less ). Anyway how does the Extra 260 fly compare to the Edge 540 profile & how does the Extra FF compare to the Extra NX? I have a spare 2215-18 motor now would that work well with the Extra or should a go up to the Scorpion30 series or something else you guys might recommend for the extra?
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3