Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 25, 2009, 05:43 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
616 Posts
Thanks!

I'm well into the construction now Got most of the fuse done, just need to do the bottom and cowl skins and assemble the wings and do the hinges. I've found a great way to bevel the surfaces, which I'll explain tomorrow. It's 23:45 here and it's back to work tomorrow! Doh!
Plane Hazza is offline Find More Posts by Plane Hazza
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2009, 07:22 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
789 Posts
You don't have to glue the rear portion of the upper crutch to the skin.
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv
Old May 25, 2009, 07:43 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Hazza
Bump. Where've all you 260 lot vanished to?
Looks like everyone beat me too it!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2009, 05:55 AM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
616 Posts
Hey bighead, you still flying your 3 (4?) extras? Still havingnlots of fun with them?
Old May 26, 2009, 09:35 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
Quote:
Hey bighead, you still flying your 3 (4?) extras? Still havingnlots of fun with them?
I have one still flying and YES I LOVE IT! Had a couple issues with a receiver that killed one...
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2009, 10:02 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Remember the one I cut in half and glued back together? (the orange breitling one) It's still flying So is it's bigger 42" brother
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
Old May 26, 2009, 10:43 AM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
616 Posts
good to hear can't wait to get home from work and resume the build!
Old May 26, 2009, 03:39 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
616 Posts
Oh no! Disaster! I managed to snap completely in half, one of the wings trying to glue in the spar. It was a tight fit to start with (even with a lot of sanding of the spar) and coupled with the 30min epoxy, even with the light careful force, I managed to buckle the depron.

How can I smooth and strengthen this?

I was furious when it happened!!
Old May 26, 2009, 03:42 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Ignore it... mount it with that as the underside of the plane you won't even notice it. My beat up orange one looks like Frankenstein compared to that pristine object of desire
Old May 26, 2009, 03:45 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
Ignore it... mount it with that as the underside of the plane you won't even notice it. My beat up orange one looks like Frankenstein compared to that pristine object of desire
Haha, true, it's only going to get trashed on maiden knowing my luck
Old May 26, 2009, 06:23 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
789 Posts
You can fill it in with light weight spackle. Then lightly sand to get it smooth.
Old May 26, 2009, 06:37 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Haha, true, it's only going to get trashed on maiden knowing my luck

Don't say that!!! unjinx unjinx unjinx!!!

Oh I just looked at the pic again I failed to see that structural integrity had been somewhat compromised. (doubt it's an issue, these things are so insanely strong)

I would position the cracked parts as close together as possible, tack them together with foam safe CA in strategic places and when set, make a 3:1 or more mix of micro balloons (keep mixing it in until it looks like there's too much in there, then wait a bit; see it become liquid again? Add more MB's) When you have your mix right use that as a filler, pieces of straight cardboard (like business cards) used as little trowels to make a nice thin joint over the cracks.

That should do it. scroll back a few million pages and you'll see before and after pics of my fuselage repair which was done the same, only add patches of depron that I had to use to substitute disintegrated pieces.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:22 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Oh no! Disaster! I managed to snap completely in half, one of the wings trying to glue in the spar. It was a tight fit to start with (even with a lot of sanding of the spar) and coupled with the 30min epoxy, even with the light careful force, I managed to buckle the depron.

I was furious when it happened!!
Did you do what I did? Did you make the spar with one of the larger pieces in the middle? As opposed to putting the larger ones on the outside?

It was a tight fit for me too.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old May 27, 2009, 08:10 AM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster
Did you do what I did? Did you make the spar with one of the larger pieces in the middle? As opposed to putting the larger ones on the outside?

It was a tight fit for me too.
Hehe I remember reading that. Yup, I made the 'I' with the fat price as the vertical. I sanded it quite a bit, but even so it was very tight with the epoxy. I was so careful too . It's well glued with foam CA, hopefullythe decals will add a bit of reinforcment. No doubt the lateral balance is shot now though haha. Let alone a penny, I'm gonna have to glue my wallet to the opposite wing!!
Old May 27, 2009, 03:45 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
789 Posts
The way the wing is designed, most of the load is carried by the spar. If you just CA the wing skin together, you shouldn't have any strength issues. The problem is mostly cosmetic.