Fixed
Plane Hazza is offline Find More Posts by Plane Hazza
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2009, 09:01 AM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
When glueing the crutch, how did you all clamp it up to ensure perpendicular joints?
Old May 18, 2009, 10:53 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
When using the kicker, position the piece first, then spray the kicker along the edges. This allows you time to position the piece.
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv
Old May 18, 2009, 11:03 AM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Hazza
When glueing the crutch, how did you all clamp it up to ensure perpendicular joints?
Use the motor mount support to make sure everything is square. Just assemble the sides, top and bottom crutch, and the motor mount support without glue, than while holding the assembly in place on its side on a flat building board, tack it together with CA. Add the rear ply former and check that the crutch is straight and square. (A slight bow up or down is not a problem.) When everything is aligned, securely glue all the joints with med CA.
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv
Old May 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv
Use the motor mount support to make sure everything is square. Just assemble the sides, top and bottom crutch, and the motor mount support without glue, than while holding the assembly in place on its side on a flat building board, tack it together with CA. Add the rear ply former and check that the crutch is straight and square. (A slight bow up or down is not a problem.) When everything is aligned, securely glue all the joints with med CA.
Would it be safe to tack it with med CA? I can't seem to find my thin CA anywhere Doh!
Old May 24, 2009, 06:03 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
The plates to make up the undercarriage assembly wont sit flush with the side frames. Will it matter or should I keep sanding?
Old May 24, 2009, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2005
1,752 Posts
Are the Airfoil Z profile planes better flyers , easier to build and more rugged than the full frame? I get that impression.

My Edge 540 is the best flying aerobatic plane Iown.
lammy1000 is offline Find More Posts by lammy1000
Old May 24, 2009, 07:53 PM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy1000
Are the Airfoil Z profile planes better flyers , easier to build and more rugged than the full frame? I get that impression.

My Edge 540 is the best flying aerobatic plane Iown.
I think the profile planes fly better and can be built much lighter than the FF planes. But that said, I would say that the FF would have a more durable fuse.
msprygada is offline Find More Posts by msprygada
Old May 24, 2009, 08:31 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
The plates to make up the undercarriage assembly wont sit flush with the side frames. Will it matter or should I keep sanding?
Here's what I mean:

Sorry to nag, but I need to know before I glue it...
Old May 24, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,001 Posts
When I had my 260 freshly stuck-together, I tried out my 1300 packs to see where the CG would be. Answer: waaaaaay back there! That's because (a) I had added a moderately heavy tail wheel assembly and (b) it's hard to shove a pack far enough forward to get the center of gravity where it needs to be in the original configuration.

I replaced the tailwheel with a much lighter one (which has it's own problems because it rides directly on the rudder, so bad landings make themselves known in the hinge department...land better!) and that helped some, but what really helped was opening a battery hatch between the landing gear mount and the firewall and installing a plate from the LE to the firewall that I could put Velcro pack-grabbers on. The hatch cover is held in place by a couple of small magnets (ripped out of a dead motor) and it is very easy now to put the pack exactly where it needs to be. I'm kind of surprised this isn't a feature in the standard kit. Makes things MUCH easier (at least for people flying small packs). I've run Rhino 1250s (about 100g) in it, all the way up against the firewall, and they've done great. Now to try my old 2200. I've got a 3530 motor left over from another plane; kinda tempted to try it too.
roidspop is online now Find More Posts by roidspop
Old May 25, 2009, 09:41 AM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
Sorry another question. The U shaped plates that are glued to the frame to support the landing gear. Should they sit flush up against the horizontal landing gear support plates? Mine are a good 9mm short.

The part that I mean is on page 14 of the manual.
Last edited by Plane Hazza; May 25, 2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old May 25, 2009, 02:21 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
Bump. Where've all you 260 lot vanished to?
Old May 25, 2009, 04:09 PM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Sorry another question. The U shaped plates that are glued to the frame to support the landing gear. Should they sit flush up against the horizontal landing gear support plates? Mine are a good 9mm short.

The part that I mean is on page 14 of the manual.
The u shaped plates are to be glued to the side frame. If you put the landing gear wire in the hole, it will slide along the side of the frame. This u shaped piece keeps the wire straight up and down. Does this help?
Old May 25, 2009, 04:35 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msprygada
The u shaped plates are to be glued to the side frame. If you put the landing gear wire in the hole, it will slide along the side of the frame. This u shaped piece keeps the wire straight up and down. Does this help?
Thanks, mine are glued in solid now so I hope so What I meant was, should they butt up right against the top of the bottom part of the crutch? Mine have about a 9mm gap, but tis all fits nicely anyway.

I'm at the most stressful part now, gluing the skins to the crutch

Do I need to apply CA to the side of the top part of the crutch where it meets the skin at the rear? The manual doesn't mention gluing here. This is the part I mean:

Last edited by Plane Hazza; May 25, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 05:30 PM
Bay City, Michigan
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, mine are glued in solid now so I hope so What I meant was, should they butt up right against the top of the bottom part of the crutch? Mine have about a 9mm gap, but tis all fits nicely anyway.

I'm at the most stressful part now, gluing the skins to the crutch

Do I need to apply CA to the side of the top part of the crutch where it meets the skin at the rear? The manual doesn't mention gluing here. This is the part I mean:

Looks like your landing gear u shaped piece is in correct. It just keeps the landing gear upright.

When I built my first one, I glued the skins on a little crooked and the elevator was not level with the wings. But what happened was I did not put the fuse skin in the aligning hole in the back of the fuse before I hit the CA with kicker. So what I did on the second one was put CA on the crutch except for the yellow part (both high and low) and put the skin on the crutch, then put the tab in the aligning hole. Then sprayed kicker on the fuse from the top and bottom and waited a few minutes. Then I did the same for the other side. Then pulled the skin from the tab in the back and then I put glue on the yellow part and put the tab back in the hole and then sprayed kicker on the yellow part from the top and bottom and the did the same for the other side. Now you have both sides glued.