HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2009, 08:55 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
No worries Plane Hazza, I think you'll enjoy the plane very much.

And yes ICON we can definitely agree on that!

the vid I posted is also from last summer. the auw for that flight was about 21oz (not exactly a porker, I've seen 25-26oz auw's already on this thread, and their owners were not complaining either!)

I forgot to mention a little detail; the one in the vid is slightly modified; it has a 42" wingspan instead of 40", now how'd he do that? I hear you ask...

Since this was my second airfoilz 260 I decided to try something a little different; instead of joining the wing skin halves at the middle, I spaced them out about 2 inches which adds 2" wingspan and a couple of extra squares.

it works, but I can't really see much difference; if asked if it's a worthwhile mod I'd say probably not.
aflipz is offline Find More Posts by aflipz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2009, 11:40 AM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Quote:
the vid I posted is also from last summer. the auw for that flight was about 21oz (not exactly a porker, I've seen 25-26oz auw's already on this thread, and their owners were not complaining either!)

With a 2200 and the LG on I expected yours to be around the 25oz range.

Actually I dont have any clue how mine got to be 20oz... Should have been an easy 18-19oz.

The wing extension is an interesting idea. Might make it a little floatier. It would leave the spar a ways away from the wing tips though, or did you make a longer one?

Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Last edited by I.C.O.N.; May 12, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 11:54 AM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
It's been so long I don't remember; I am pretty sure I didn't even have to extend it; I thin the spar is too long in the first place and we have to cut it anyways for the stock build, if not; I probably would have made a 6MM depron spar to complete it to the wingtips, but in any event, the last few inches of wing tip are under very little load in flight and a spar wouldn't even be required on the last couple of inches on both sides.

In that vid, the auw was around 21oz with a 25C 1300mah pack, it goes under 20 oz with a 1320 and of course heavier with a 2200mah 20C.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:11 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
608 Posts
I'ev just ordered a Turnigy 2217 16T for 18

Just need the ESC, some kicker, micro balloons and I'm tempted to replace the 2 HS55s I have with HS65HBs.

Should I?
Plane Hazza is offline Find More Posts by Plane Hazza
Old May 11, 2009, 04:54 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Definitely
Old May 11, 2009, 05:01 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Hazza
I'ev just ordered a Turnigy 2217 16T for 18

Just need the ESC, some kicker, micro balloons and I'm tempted to replace the 2 HS55s I have with HS65HBs.

Should I?
I second that! You will enjoy it more with the HS-65's if you are doing hardcore 3-d.
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2009, 05:18 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
I second that! You will enjoy it more with the HS-65's if you are doing hardcore 3-d.
Cool, I won't be doing any hardcore 3D yet, but may as well get the good stuff in the first place.

EDIT: I found some foam safe CA Kicker. You guys are killing me, I just spent 20 on a motor and 38 on two HS65HBs and Foam safe kicker.

Still got to get the ESC yet! That'll be another 20 lol...
Last edited by Plane Hazza; May 11, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:22 AM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
608 Posts
Dumb question no doubt, but will Foam safe CA be suitable for the plywood frame?

Could I use it to tack the frame together and use gorilla glue to properly bond it?

Also, it doesn't look like I'll be able to source any micro balloons. Will Epoxy Resin do by itself?
Old May 12, 2009, 12:42 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
608 Posts
woohoo it's here! Came home from work to find a nice (well wrapped in over 10m if bubblewrap!) airfoilz box!

Building will have to wait until the weekend though
Old May 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Hazza
Dumb question no doubt, but will Foam safe CA be suitable for the plywood frame?

YES!!

Could I use it to tack the frame together and use gorilla glue to properly bond it?

Don't need the gorilla glue on the frame...I use thin CA and Med CA.

Also, it doesn't look like I'll be able to source any micro balloons. Will Epoxy Resin do by itself?
Yes, just go easy on the epoxy...adds weight really fast if you are not careful!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
I found an outstanding source of microballoons (not to mention epoxy's, resins adhesives, fibers of all kinds etc etc)

boating store! (stores that sells marine equipment) they usually have all the same stuff for a fraction of what you'd pay for them in a hobby store, and in much much larger quantities.

makes me feel like a sucker for paying that premium on those things for the last few years.
Old May 12, 2009, 02:00 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflipz
I found an outstanding source of microballoons (not to mention epoxy's, resins adhesives, fibers of all kinds etc etc)

boating store! (stores that sells marine equipment) they usually have all the same stuff for a fraction of what you'd pay for them in a hobby store, and in much much larger quantities.

makes me feel like a sucker for paying that premium on those things for the last few years.
Ooh I never thought about that! It just so happens that there is one at the bottom of my street! I'll check it out tomorrow!
Old May 12, 2009, 04:15 PM
all up in your grill
Joined Aug 2006
4,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C.O.N.
With a 2200 and the LG on I expected yours to be around the 25oz range.

Actually I dont have any clue how mine got to be 20oz... Should have been an easy 18-19oz.

The wing extension is an interesting idea. Might make it a little floatier. It would leave the spar a ways away from the wing tips though, or did you make a longer one?

Andy

I checked, you know, to refresh my memory; the spar goes all the way to about 1/2 inches from each wingtip, and I made little fillers for that with 6mm depron, but like I said before this shouldn't even be necessary.
Old May 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
AKA Amraam
Newcastle, England
Joined Feb 2007
608 Posts
I haven't started buidling yet, but I've looked at all of the bits. I noticed I have two threaded rods of different lengths, which I presume are for ailerons and elevator. Should there be three? Or do we cut one in half to make the aileron push rods?
Old May 12, 2009, 06:46 PM
jfv
Bridgewater, NJ
Joined Aug 2004
787 Posts
Cut one in half.
jfv is offline Find More Posts by jfv