SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:42 AM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Discussion
Comparing A Pigeon's Specifications W/ Cybird P1 Specs.

I got to thinking about the fact that an Ornithopter being a mechanical bird should be able to fly and exhibit more capability than a flesh and blood bird, IMHO.
The Orni's we have now can barely fly compared to the real thing, so I wanted to compare Specifications of a Cybird P1 to a Pidgeon since I always see that it says the P1 is about the wingspan of a Pidgeon.
In this I am just trying to satisfy my curiosity about these birds and mechanical birds, I am almost certain that these comparisons have been made aready, lol here are the Quick facts.

Pigeon Quick Facts, Cybird Quick facts
Height/Weight
12-15/10oz-16oz
32-37cm long, =Approx 12.6 inches
64-72cm wingspan, =25.2 inches

Life Span
3-4 years in the wild up to 16 captivity
Flight Speed
28 to 82 mph!!!!

Cybird P1 Specs..
Product Dimensions: Wingspan: 29" (725mm)
Body Length: 15" (375mm)
Product Weight: 225g, including Flight Battery= Approx. 7.03oz
Flight Speed??

So from these numbers I see that the Cybird body length is the same as an grown up fat pidgeon (though Cybird is skinnier),,
Cybird wingspan is approx. 4inches wider and the weight is 3-9oz less than an actual Pidgeon and the speed, I have no idea of the Cybird P1 flight speed (anybody have the answer?) Pidgeon flight speed is bloody amazing in that I had no idea it was such a wide range 28-82mph!! (That means a Peregrine must approach warp speed in a dive)
I wonder how much thrust a Pidgeon's wings generate to move 16oz in climbing and fairly normal flight, not diving speed (and what is the fastest it can go in level flight),and why does my P1 seem so marginal (now).
Also I just read one of Kincade's ads for (I believe) the Parkhawk and it said that it had the power to catch up to and pass real birds (of course I want one).
But now i am applying to bionic animal research school as it might be easier to subvert the pidgeon's capabilities than to make a mechanical bird do the same thing..
Sorry for the long post..
Petey..
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Last edited by Machy2k; Nov 11, 2007 at 04:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:02 AM
Nathan Chronister
Joined Jun 2003
626 Posts
Ornithopters can easily be made to have more power than a real bird. Unfortunately the efficiency is not as good as a real bird, just yet, but that will change. Hopefully also we'll get some better energy storage technology because batteries don't hold anywhere near as much energy as the fat storage birds use. Maybe someone with a radar gun could give us some actual flight speeds?
Chronister is offline Find More Posts by Chronister
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:36 PM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Leipsic, OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,448 Posts
Still, the P1 is close enough to a pigeon to fool a raptor.
Tweener is offline Find More Posts by Tweener
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:48 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
I have gotten very little bird attention so far, I think it is because of the red wings, I can't wait to try my new "eagle wings"
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k