HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
Joined Nov 2007
3 Posts
Discussion
v8 engine

i am new to this but am searching for info on a 1/4 scale v8 engine..several years ago['91] there was an article in hotrod magazine about an engine developed and built by G.L.Conley Engines.It was a running fully detailed v8 engine. Weight 4.5lbs,water cooled,5"long6.5"tall..Very intriging!Does anyone know about these engines and are they still available?Thanks for any responses
motorman01 is offline Find More Posts by motorman01
Last edited by motorman01; Nov 11, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:48 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
ya conely still makes em so do a few other manufacturers... "the engines" there are even a few kits "i think" for those engines as well.. but they arent cheap.. the cheapest one i think ive ever seen was a 4 cylinder... if i remember correctly that one was like 2800$
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:54 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3 Posts
v8 engine

do you know where I can find these engines
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:27 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
From what I know conley had a fire and doesnt make the smaller displacement ones any longer. Remember the Rusty Wallace 1/4 scale with the v8 on it?

Anyways, heres the conley site, and a link to the newest motor they make:
http://www.conleyprecision.com/609.htm
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Nov 12, 2007, 08:54 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3 Posts
thank you very much for the info
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:40 PM
United States, NY, Rhinebeck
Joined Jun 2007
4 Posts
I don't know if you ever picked up a conley, but I have been thinking of selling mine. It is a very early Conley V8(serial# 00007). Back then they were a kit and you had to build the engine, seat and adjust all the valves, and even cut the supplied piston rings to a specific fit tolerance. Because it was such an early engine for Conley, it is still fitted with his 'multi piece crank' which is pressed together from many pieces. Because of this, the engine is suitable to run on display only and should not be loaded down by using it to power a scale model. You can me and my engine running on its custom test stand on youtube -->
Conley V8 Engine (2 min 24 sec)

In the video I talk about the engine and how everything works first, and then run it at the end of the video.

I purchased the kit and built the engine and stand myself. I have machined some black plastic valve covers for it that look really slick. I also have a few extra valves that were given to me by Gary Conley when I met him at a model show. At the time he was phasing out this V8 for his new engine, the Stinger 609.

Let me know if you are interested. You will not find many of these early kitted engines!!

Chris.
picco is online now Find More Posts by picco