SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:07 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Discussion
To offset or not to offset - That is the question!

I have a 3.4M Ventus 2C sailplane that is set-up for aerotow, but we no longer have a tow plane at our club.

I have been thinking of converting it over to electric self launch. Now, I presume 2 degrees down and 2 right is a good angle, but since we only use these motors for climb, does it really matter much?

Inquiring minds want to know.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,864 Posts
No, it doesn't matter much. Generally, no need for any right thrust at all. A little downthrust is beneficial, but not necessary.

Just install the motor for the best fit of the spinner to the fuselage. If that can include some downthrust, great. If not, don't sweat it.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:03 PM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
I don't put side thrust in mine at all, but if it has a reasonable amount of dihedral (which yours doesnt) then having no downthrust can make for an unusual climb - you have to hold in so much down elevator that it can tuck easily. For that reason, I put in as much downthrust as the fus will take.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:56 AM
Dartford, Kent, UK
Joined Jul 2006
196 Posts
I've found that at least 4 degrees is needed for the reasons stated by Nick.

Hugh
HughG is offline Find More Posts by HughG
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:46 AM
Norway
Joined Jul 2005
796 Posts
I agree. 4 degrees is not too much, usually I have to push down elevator during climb anyway.

Put a Cyclon Elite18 and a 5S LiPo in your Ventus, and go vertical Remember to buy a 18x11 Graupner CAM folder for it. Then be prepared for 500 meter in some few seconds if you dare to keep WOT...
jooNorway is offline Find More Posts by jooNorway
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:02 PM
Dartford, Kent, UK
Joined Jul 2006
196 Posts
Yes, I think (without checking) I put in 4 degrees and then added extra shims to increase the downthrust further. I hand launch with slight up-elevator, releasing it almost immediately and then make slight adjustments to the elevator as needed.
HughG is offline Find More Posts by HughG
Old Nov 12, 2007, 08:17 AM
Joined Nov 2007
191 Posts
We've been flying 2-meter (Gentle Lady, 2X6, etc.) sailplanes with Park 400 outrunners this past season and found that somewhere between 4 and 6 degrees of downthrust makes the climbout easier. If you get the downthrust right there's less need to re-trim between climb and glide. Holding down elevator isn't hard in the early part of the climb, but gets trickier the higher you get, so a hands-off climbout is a plus.
Flyer1950 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer1950
Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:21 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,072 Posts
Ed,

Take this with some salt, but if it were me, I'd be hesitant to chop up the nose of that nice scale saiplane. Instead, I'd go for a power pod type option on that one (normally I'd say put the motor in the nose, but on that nice glass scale job, I'd be hesitant to, even if the tow plane in the club has disapeared).

There is a nice power pod sold by a few vendors, else you could make something.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Thanks Ryan, but no power pods for me. If I go electric it will go in the nose.

If we ever get a tow plane back, I can put a release under the nose using a capture pin working through a slit in the fuselage.

I am not a purist when it comes to scale sailplanes. When it is up 500-1500 feet, the prop will not be noticeable. I can live with it.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:07 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,072 Posts
I'm no purist either. Good luck with the mod. I'd suggest down thrust for sure. Probably on the order of what guys are suggesting here.

Ryan
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:35 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Aeronaut has some white blades that will help with the appearance, and if the nose is removed with a bandsaw, it would be easy to put it back on if needed in the future.

As to thrust offset, definitely some down, but you'll need to fly it to see how much is needed.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Thanks guys. You have been most helpful.

I don't know if or when I will make this mod. I have plenty of other planes to fly, so there is no urgency to this. I just think it is a shame that this one will sit, unloved and unflown due to the lack of a tow plane and I don't have a slope suitable to fly it.

We will see.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I just think it is a shame that this one will sit, unloved and unflown due to the lack of a tow plane and I don't have a slope suitable to fly it.
That plane can't be flown at Cape Cod? On the simulator, Cape Cod seems like you could fly just about anything there.... Seems to have a nice huge green landing zone too. Of course, a computer program might not reflect real life... :-)

Ryan
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:28 AM
Joined Oct 2005
42 Posts
Maybe you dont need to cut the nose (well, no too much ) Take a look at pictures.
roblej is offline Find More Posts by roblej
Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:58 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblej
Maybe you dont need to cut the nose (well, no too much ) Take a look at pictures.
roblej,

Which Hyperion is that? 3025 - X is all I could make out (the light shine blurs the actual number). I can kinda make out a 12 . What prop size too
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece