HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2007, 09:25 PM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
Assemble the wing servo arm using a couple of servo mounting screws, then cut and grind the screws flush.
Maybz is offline Find More Posts by Maybz
Last edited by Maybz; Dec 10, 2007 at 05:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2007, 04:49 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Oct 2006
142 Posts
Count me in for a precut F-14 in grey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybz
I am making a small batch of CNC cut kits and I just got the first set in for testing. I figured I would document the build for anyone wanting to make their own... I will also try to post a MK2 assembly manual tomorrow.

Birdofplay cut the parts for me and they arrived neatly packed in a pizza box. The quality and fit of the parts is absolutely top-notch.
-How do I get on your list for the precut kits? That's looking AWESOME!

-Codesource
codesource is offline Find More Posts by codesource
Old Dec 09, 2007, 05:07 AM
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,238 Posts
Yeah, Count me in too!
Dak...
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Old Dec 09, 2007, 07:14 AM
Joined Mar 2006
927 Posts
The motor I'm using is an Eflite 400. I am finishing the plane this weekend, and have cut down an APC 10X7 prop to 7X7. I had to cut back the motor mount about 3/4" into the fuse for the prop to center in its cutout. Also, I'm concerned about the CG, what with the motor in the rear. All I can do is place the battery as far forward as possible to compensate.
Will Rock is offline Find More Posts by Will Rock
Old Dec 09, 2007, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2006
927 Posts
Here is a pic of the finished plane...I hope it still looks good after the first flight. The hatch on top center with the lightning bolts on it is not in the plans, I velcroed it over the wing servo to have access for adjustment. I'm not wild about the cutdown 7X7 prop, and will go to a hobby store today to look for something with more pitch. It is cold and snowy here, so I'm not sure I can get a flight today, but will try.

Old Dec 09, 2007, 10:07 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
Looks good Will. Can you post a close up pic of your motor? If there are any stickers or markings on it try to show those also...
Old Dec 09, 2007, 10:41 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Just started cutting mine out. It looks like it's going to take me longer to cut it out than it will to build it. Judging by the videos, it looks like it'll be worth the effort. I'm going with white Depron, I may paint it gray or maybe I'll just try to paint it like Stephen Shioi did.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Dec 09, 2007, 10:44 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Hey Maybz, where did you get the magnets for the hatch?

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Dec 09, 2007, 11:40 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
Radio Shack sells rare earth magnets that are .187" in diameter for $1.99 a pair. Or you can buy them in bulk from these guys for $9 per 100. http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/magnets.htm
Old Dec 09, 2007, 12:48 PM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
United Kingdom, Rushden
Joined Dec 2005
129 Posts
Hey,

I just wanted to jump in a commend Maybz on designing such a nice model.

This is the first Depron model I have built (maybe not the last) and considering I am a helicopter pilot thats good going.
It's not quite finished yet but is getting there.

Motor wise I am going with a HiModel A2212-6 (170W) 2200Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor, swinging a 7x5 APCe prop which should give it some serious power. These motors go very well having come from larger models.

The alure of the F-14 with the swing wings made up my mind to build this model, also 3 other of my flying buddys are building one to so there should be 4 in my club blasting about the sky.

I do have one question, what is the largest 3s LiPo that has been flown in one of these models? We have a few 1800~2200mah ones between us for the small heli's, but thinking about it they seem a little too heavy

I will post some pictures soon.

Ian Contessa
coolice is offline Find More Posts by coolice
Old Dec 09, 2007, 01:50 PM
Joined Nov 2007
125 Posts
Hey all just finished my mkII tonight, thought i'd show u guys some pics, still needs smoothing off etc, cant wait to try it out
bigbadbob2003 is offline Find More Posts by bigbadbob2003
Old Dec 09, 2007, 03:06 PM
Glitch
kauai, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2006
534 Posts
Hey guys! Sorry, I've been away for a day or two. Been out flyin' the F14. I love this plane...oh, did I say that already? Dang it! I wish I had video of this one. I haven't weighed mine yet. I'm using a spare motor and mount from 2DogRC. Very good power, will do long verticle climbs and with the wings stucked its pretty doggone fast. So far the biggerst battery i've run is a CSRC 1,650 15c pack. More than enough. I think this design will have a dedicated following. I'm planning on building #2 next week with the changes Maybz has done. Since all I have is white depron I'll stick with that, plus my 49yo eyes seem to follow it better among the tree lines. You know what would be utterly cool? Having two or three of these in the air at once. I can picture the dogfight scene from "TopGun"....yeehaw!

SS
Stephen Shioi is offline Find More Posts by Stephen Shioi
Old Dec 09, 2007, 04:47 PM
Joined Mar 2006
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybz
Looks good Will. Can you post a close up pic of your motor? If there are any stickers or markings on it try to show those also...
The motor is an Eflite 400 outrunner, with a 1250ma 3 cell lipo battery and a 35 amp ESC. I'm concerned about the prop, which is a 7X7 cut down from an 11X7. I didn't get to fly this weekend because of weather, but the plane is ready.
Old Dec 09, 2007, 05:39 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,563 Posts
got this from the Motor winding forum up above here a ways

http://www.engconcepts.net/List_Of_Motor_Magnets.asp

LOTS O MAGNETS !
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 09, 2007, 05:45 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
hello everyone,
i have been flying mine for a couple of days now and still have not crashed it. great plane.
since i can't figure out how to do the swing wing on my radio, i just went ahead and made it a permanent open wing configuration.
gear consist of a blue wonder, 3s 1000mah 20c lipo, 20 and esc, futaba r114f rx and 5g hxt servos.
very nice in the air. i'm thinking of slapping a 370 outrunner eflight on it, would this make the plane faster? i also have a couple of 3s 1300mah 20c coming.
would ailerons work on this plane? i'm having a bit of trouble turning.
thanks everyone.
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951