HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:43 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
One thing to remember about CA glue and flying in cold weather.

A CA bond is very strong, but as the temperature drops, it becomes more brittle and its sheer strength diminishes. If you have two parts you need to separate, toss them in the freezer for a couple hours. CA becomes seriously brittle at cold temps.

Quote:
Properties
In its liquid form, cyanoacrylate consists of monomers of cyanoacrylate molecules. Methyl-2-cyanoacrylate (CH2=C(CN)COOCH3 or C5H5NO2) has a molecular weight equal to 111.1, a flashpoint of 79 C, and 1.1 times the density of water. Ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (C6H7NO2) has a molecular weight equal to 125 and a flashpoint of >75C.

Generally, cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin which rapidly polymerises in the presence of water (specifically hydroxide ions), forming long, strong chains, joining the bonded surfaces together. Because the presence of moisture causes the glue to set, exposure to moisture in the air can cause a tube or bottle of glue to become unusable over time. To prevent an opened container of glue from setting before use, it must be stored in an airtight jar or bottle with a package of silica gel.

Another important trait is that cyanoacrylate sets quickly, often in less than a minute. A normal bond reaches full strength in two hours and is waterproof. Accelerators such as toluidine trigger setting in two or three seconds, with some loss of strength.

Acetone, which is sometimes found in nail polish remover, is a commonly available solvent capable of softening cured cyanoacrylate. Nitromethane is also an excellent solvent. Methylene chloride is the most effective but is toxic.

Low temperatures cause cyanoacrylate to become brittle. Cyanoacrylate's bonds can be weakened (allowing disassembly) by placing a glued object in a household freezer for several hours.

If applied to cotton, cyanoacrylate undergoes an exothermic reaction rapid enough to cause minor burns if spilled on clothing.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcala
Decided to fly my newly build MCD-14 yesterday even though the snow on the ground was crusted and bumpy. Flew great once I got use to flipping the flap switch on my DX7 and thottle speed for different wing positions. Had only one problem - my ply motor mount kept separating from the foam [even though I epoxy it] This happened several times on landing. Anybody have a better way to secure the ply motor mount?
Thanks Bill
As I mentioned in the build log, I highly recommend using foam safe CA and kicker for the ENTIRE build except for the servos which are better secured with hot glue.
Maybz is offline Find More Posts by Maybz
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:24 AM
Joined Nov 2007
31 Posts
Autosweep with a DX6

Has anyone done autosweep with a DX6? I've got the sweep servo on the Aux port, but don't have any experience with programming and need some help mixing the throttle and wing sweep. Any help would be much appreciated.
wmacorlando is offline Find More Posts by wmacorlando
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hope Mills, NC
Joined Nov 2003
42 Posts
Ready To Fly!!!

Maybz,

I got my F14 ready to fly. Just wanted to say thanks for all your work. I've put together several foamies but I must say this one was really fun. Excellent plans!!!!!! Also thanks to all the other contributers.

Keep 'em flyin'

Tom
thomasnc41 is offline Find More Posts by thomasnc41
Old Mar 01, 2008, 10:36 AM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
here's mine

waiting for rx and pushrods, but she's pretty much done. Thanks to Maybz plans , Birdofprey kit and GotrekGurnisson for the decals. Sorry about the picture quality.

Mike K
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Mar 01, 2008, 04:16 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,183 Posts
Very nice Mike! Like the Wolfpack colors.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 01, 2008, 07:54 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Great looking birds fellas!

Hope Mills representing. I'm from Fayetteville originally
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 01, 2008, 08:05 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,661 Posts
Looks like we will have an NC squadron of f-14's if I can find the time to finish mine!

Tim
AG4RZ (slightly NW of Winston-Salem)
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Mar 01, 2008, 10:56 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,531 Posts
I made it home from Arizona !

What a great bunch of RC guys in Mesa !

Thanks for letting me fly with you guys !

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 01, 2008, 11:16 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Hey Bob,

Just wanted to publicly thank you for cutting such a fine kit (and Maybz for the superb design)! Mine arrive in perfect condition, I've now bought my motor (LSPP), just waiting on the servo's then I can get building.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Last edited by Fig Jam; Mar 01, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2008, 11:32 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
flight report

a great big thanks to MAYBZ for sharing the plans and for everyone for the advice.

I managed to fly mine in a 10 mph wind. something told me not to do it but i did it anyway.
set up is a grayson motor with a 5 in prop, 30 amp esc, 2200mah 3s 25c hxt.(couldnt close the batt compartment i had to use tape)
lots of vertical and great parachute moves.
fle inverted but the wings had lots of bend especially on reverse loops.
i had installed a servo for the wing sweep 250mg from hc, but can't seem to operate while in flight.
something i tried though was ....i stood the plane on it rear and gave it F/T and it went up about 2 ft with no problem but i'm a noob at flying so it just toppled everytime. but with the current setup i think in the proper more experienced hands this plane can do VT and i can do the inverted VT reall well AKA lawn dart.......
any advice on what set up i need to get it off the ground faster? i think if iget it high quick that imay be able to continue flying.
TIA
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Mar 01, 2008, 11:36 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,531 Posts
You're welcome :-0 ,

I'm glad the PO did their duty.
There have been a couple of seriously sad incidents !
But the second trys worked ok.

A BUILDING NOTE or Addendum:

When the kits are CNC cut, the parts are retained in the original Depron Sheets
via a few small ~1/4" tabs.
Later, I cut those parts OUT with an exacto and ship em out , as is.
Sometimes I get close to the parts outline sometimes not.
Those "Tabs" should be sanded off if they are going to be visible ie outside edges.
It's kinda like the old Balsa Die Cut or stamped out kits.
There was always a few rough places after popping out the parts that needed sanding.

Nuf said,

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 03, 2008, 04:38 AM
Joined Mar 2007
5 Posts
A new F-14 from Spain. Powered by Emax 2812 and 7x5" prop. Maiden flight will be this week. Thanks to Maybz for sharing the plans.
juanje is offline Find More Posts by juanje
Old Mar 03, 2008, 10:24 PM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmacorlando
Has anyone done autosweep with a DX6? I've got the sweep servo on the Aux port, but don't have any experience with programming and need some help mixing the throttle and wing sweep. Any help would be much appreciated.
The only way I've seen it done is to set it up in Heli mode and use the pitch and throttle curves that that mode allows to control the wing autosweep. However you then need at least two progammable mixes to get the tailerons working because you lose the ability of setting up delta wing in Heli mode. Unfortunately the DX6 only has one programmable mix while in Heli mode. You need to upgrade to the DX7 if you want to setup autosweep in this fashion.

However, the DX6 does have three programmable mixes in aircraft mode that may give some rudimentary autosweep control. Once I get my DX6 back from being serviced I intend to try playing with this option myself. I'll try the following.

I have my wing sweep set to the gear channel because I need the Flap/Aux switch for turning the mix on and off during flight yet still be able to actuate the wing sweep with the gear switch when the mix is off. So I'll try a Throttle to Gear mix. This would mean setting Mix "Ach" to a value of 15. 1 = throttle and 5 = gear.

Then set Mix A to be turned on or off using the flap switch by setting the Mix "ASW" option to "Fl" This will allow me to turn off the mix in flight should I want to fly around at full throttle with the wings un-swept and give me manual control of the wing sweep using the gear switch.

Next would be to set the Mix Offset "A15" point. Not having my transmitter with me I don't really have a good grasp of what this function controls. I'm hoping it will allow me to set the mix start point at about half throttle. This way the wings will only start their backwards sweep after I've passed half throttle.

Lastly would be to set the "Mix A15" function for the desired mix value needed to make the wings sweep within there full sweep range from half to full throttle. I won't know that value, or if it will even be possible until I get my transmitter back. If I find a good set of values that work for me I'll be sure to post back.

Paul
turt1e_b is offline Find More Posts by turt1e_b
Old Mar 04, 2008, 03:13 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,897 Posts
Wow, I just found this,and I just LOVE Tomcats,I think I will just have to go and make one now,fantastic job maybze, can't believe I missed so much of it already,awesome design.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton