HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:21 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Fellas, I'd about given up on my F-14..... I fly out of my backyard which is lined with trees. I had tried 3 different motors, many propellers and several batteries. First I flew with the FC 28-12. Either my copies of the 2812 are tame or my larger batteries are on their way out. My amperage readings don't jive with listed reports on RCGroups. I'll probably wind up rewinding my Emax motors for better power. I tried the 2805 but was not impressed. My last motor was the 2409-12 delta. High speed performance was never an issue with any of the above motors, but the plane flew like a tank at low speeds. I need lots of thrust and control to circle inside the trees, land etc.

After rewinding one of my BW motors for a 28" SkyRay, I noticed a huge improvement in performance. I knew my rewound Blue Wonder would be perfect in the F-14. I decided to wind another with 11 turns of 24awg to use in the F-14. I replaced the heavy 25a ESC and 1500mah batteries with much lighter components. I shaved about a quarter of a pound from the F-14!

I cut down an 8040DD to 7", amp draw is probably around 9-10 amps WOT. Using a Hextronik 860mah 3S 20C battery pack I'm getting really good flight times and performance. Top speed is less than the larger motors, but low speed performance, turning radius and run times are all vastly improved. Vertical is OK, just enough to get out of trouble and roll straight up into the air. It's pretty windy out today, I'm sure the plane will fly even better once things calm down a bit. I'll try and get some video later this week.

Lighter is always better.

From this;

To this;

Different setups tried on the F-14;

Happiness;

Luke
Lukejt is offline Find More Posts by Lukejt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:11 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Coming past the house at high speed I misjudged the altitude and wound up in a tree. The impact bent the shaft inside my 20g metal geared servo, causing all kinds of fuss from the servo until I could get it down. I replaced the servo with a Hextronik 9g. I quickly noticed the sweep delay mentioned earlier in the thread, well this caused low voltage cut out when the servo stuck for more than a second or two. The end result, the ESC cut out when pulling up from a dive under power as the wings were under load and stuck in the forward position...nose dart.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:00 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,550 Posts
Doo Doo Occures !
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt
Coming past the house at high speed I misjudged the altitude and wound up in a tree. The impact bent the shaft inside my 20g metal geared servo, causing all kinds of fuss from the servo until I could get it down. I replaced the servo with a Hextronik 9g. I quickly noticed the sweep delay mentioned earlier in the thread, well this caused low voltage cut out when the servo stuck for more than a second or two. The end result, the ESC cut out when pulling up from a dive under power as the wings were under load and stuck in the forward position...nose dart.
So the moral of this story is (apart from staying clear of trees, something I dare say many of us have learnt the hard way like you!) don't use use a lightwieght servo on your wing sweep mechanism?? This is actually very useful as I have been playing with the idea of making one of these F-14 but being a cheapskate, I was hoping to use a normal type servo, so thanks for the heads up! Sorry to hear of your troubles, all character building stuff (thats what I try to tell myself!)
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:34 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,184 Posts
good price here on recommended servo for wing sweep..HS81MG

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=HITHS81MGS

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Feb 17, 2008, 03:43 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Electriceye, that's pretty much it. Don't use a wimpy servo, it won't move the wings in the air under any load. If I had a beefier ESC I may have made it, but I was running a TP 9gr 10amp at it's limit. The plane was flying awesome until switched the wing sweep servo.

I had a MG BB servo and there's metal bits in the case. I don't see where they came from or what happened, the gears look OK, but something is definitely wrong with the servo, I can turn it by hand when it's plugged in. Maybe the bits came from the motor. It did a great job while it lasted, the wings moved with the throttle no matter the position or speed of the plane.

The 9gr Hextronik, a decent servo for it's size could not move the wings under any load.

Folks, I would look for a Karbonite servo, or avoid the trees and ground at all costs.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 03:49 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Maybe a micro servo saver......

I don't see any Karbonite servos in the 20gram range.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 05:48 PM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
Again... I use the Hitec 65HB (Karbonite gears) and I have NEVER had any issues or failures. Weight is a paltry 12g. AUW on my sMk2 is about 13oz. If you build the plane over 14oz it will fly like a slug (trust me, I've tried it). 12~13oz is ideal.
Maybz is offline Find More Posts by Maybz
Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:53 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,550 Posts
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-65h...y_feather.html
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:39 PM
www.ReaperBrushless.com
Joined Jul 2007
1,868 Posts
Motrolfly USA New Motors Instock

dear foam nuts

just wanted to let you know we now have the Motrolfly DM2210 2200kv now in stock a perfect parkjet motor. fro you high speed freaks.
and a new little ripper the dm2205 2800kv 28gram of pure power.

scott
www.motrolflyusa.com
The Reaper is offline Find More Posts by The Reaper
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HITHS65S

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:05 PM
I do it cause it's FUN!
Oak Ridge
Joined Jun 2007
198 Posts
Cheapest I've seen Hitec 65HB is $19.99 here http://centralhobbies.com/radiosNser...c/hitec65.html

Mike
Smiky is offline Find More Posts by Smiky
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:05 PM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotrolflyUSA
dear foam nuts

just wanted to let you know we now have the Motrolfly DM2210 2200kv now in stock a perfect parkjet motor. fro you high speed freaks.
and a new little ripper the dm2205 2800kv 28gram of pure power.

scott
www.motrolflyusa.com
Yes we know you have motors for sale. Now go advertise somewhere else!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:13 PM
I do it cause it's FUN!
Oak Ridge
Joined Jun 2007
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybz
Yes we know you have motors for sale. Now go advertise somewhere else!
you know I was going to get a Motrolfly for my MDC F14 but him continually pushing them down our throats has turned me right off. The question is now what do I get, I was thinking one of the cheap LightFlighRC Combo's. What do you think Maybz?

Mike
Smiky is offline Find More Posts by Smiky
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:01 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
I'm not familiar with them, sorry. You want something in the 150watt range that weighs 40g or less and can swing a 7" prop (1450-1650kv)