MDC F-14 Maiden Flight (0 min 49 sec)
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:30 AM
France, Basse-Normandie, Balleroy
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaXray1 View Post
Eagle 14 I built mine at 125% it has 42" length and 42" spread wing span. I use a Turnigy 3536/1300 with a 8.5"x6" APC Prop. Unlimited vertical and nice comfortable speed and flies great. I made it a semi scale full cockpit to hide the battery.
. Thank you very much for your message and your information. Can you tell me if you have made some particular changes with the original plans according to the carbon reinforcement parts for this larger F-14? Also, what servo do you use to moove the wings?
eagle14 is offline Find More Posts by eagle14
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:34 AM
France, Basse-Normandie, Balleroy
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ids911 View Post
eagle14
I have the 100 & 125% size and for me the 125% flys much better, the extra wing area seems to be more stable in the air. Pictures and details are a few pages back
Ian
. Thank you very much for your message and your information. Can you tell me if you have made some particular changes with the original plans according to the carbon reinforcement parts for this larger F-14? Also, what servo do you use to moove the wings?
eagle14 is offline Find More Posts by eagle14
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined May 2011
2,310 Posts
I used the square 3/16" carbon for the wings, and I originally used a 40 ozin MG servo but it would not swing in flight under load. So I put a 85 ozin servo in it still needs to be unloaded for it to swing. So the problem is the big 2" disc that the wing pivots on, giving only about 1" of leverage to push on. There is a modification shown in this forum of using a smaller diameter pivot. If I build another I would use that. It will give greater leverage ( about 2.5" )for the servo to push on. But if I roll knife edge and have the nose up (no rudders) it will swing in flight and looks cool at the same time.
AlfaXray1 is offline Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:14 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
My lightly built version had lots of packing tape for SLICKING UP
ALL of the insides of the wing pivot surfaces. Top and Bottom fuse and wings too

It was 12-14 oz depending on Pak used. N)O BIG Motor and therefore no big ESC either.

It moved the wings fairly well under all but pulling G's loads.

Also agree with the More leverage mods being favorable.

Or put one pivot servo in EACH wing as another option.

I'm still available for cutting these kits.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:11 PM
USA, FL, Gulf Breeze-Harold
Joined Aug 2008
82 Posts
And he does an excellent job cutting these kits!!! I just finished mine and I love it! Thanks everyone for the great plane and all 200 some pages of knowledge.
Rpotter90 is offline Find More Posts by Rpotter90
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:30 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Airplane?

Alfaxray1, what is the plane in your avatar - blue and white low wing twin?
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:08 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
If you are looking for a twin
The Twins is a great stable easily built Airdrop sized vehicle
capable of aerobatics too.
It's in Scratchbuilt Foamys
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124466

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:11 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Thanks Bob, I already have the twin foamy - you cut it for me....
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:32 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
I just built three of these for me and my wingmen...any tips before maiden? I plan to launch them by holding onto the canopy with wings fully extended out. I have them set up with 20 amp esc's with eflite park 370s and 3s 1300s.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:38 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot83 View Post
I just built three of these for me and my wingmen...any tips before maiden? I plan to launch them by holding onto the canopy with wings fully extended out. I have them set up with 20 amp esc's with eflite park 370s and 3s 1300s.

Coot
Have fun . That's how I launched mine and it works great . Before I lost it in a lake it was my go to flier for bad weather or just fun . Used to fly it by low and slow above the road and let my son throw rocks at it , great fun for both of us
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:20 AM
Uk Leicester
Joined Dec 2008
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
I have finished it. I have had two attempted maidens that didn't work out too well. Both flights were short due to lack of speed...just wont accelerate enough to stay airborn. Last attempt lasted longer but speed was so slow that there wasn't enough air flow over tailerons to turn All the plane will do is a nose up high alpha...lol. I know that getting the nose down will help to increase speed but I cant even get enough altitude to get the nose down. I dont really understand what the problem is because thrust is close to 1:1 if I remember correctly. Hmmmmmm, could it possibly just be too tail heavy? If thats the case, I dont have any more room to move batt forward. When I checked cg it seemed to be fine according to the measurements provided in thread. Any suggestions?
Hmm sorry not been around due to ill health but I can only state that motors fans and lipo's is a MUST. . you must use hyperion ys22 6000kv wemotec fans and 3s 4000mah lipo as per my video this set up works a treat for twin ducted fans any thing else don't bother as you can see no power etc but just to prove the point Video attached

F14 MDC Maiden convert to twin EDF (4 min 11 sec)
Gazzaxr4x4 is offline Find More Posts by Gazzaxr4x4
Last edited by Gazzaxr4x4; Mar 02, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:53 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
power setup/belly landing?

Hey guys,
I just maidened my MDC F-14 today and it was set up with an eflite park 370 motor with a 20 amp esc with a prop size of 7x6 I think. Anyway it seemed really SLOW. I would love to get a good motor esc combo for this bird that can zip around pretty good. Also my buddy maidened his first and we realized that we have to catch ours to make sure we dont bust off the prop on the back. Has anyone found a decent landing gear that these could use or some rendition on the bottom of the plane so that I can belly land it instead of having to catch it every time? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined May 2011
2,310 Posts
Mine flies sl slowly into any wind that it has never caused any damage from belly landing. Maybe try to slow it to stall speed and flare about 1-1.5 feet off ground then let it plop onto the belly mine does this easily.
AlfaXray1 is offline Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds