HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:55 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk View Post
can someone please help with this:
would this motor:
http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store1...26-101400.html
be much different to this suppo:
http://www.allelectricrc.co.uk/a22126-782-p.asp
im not after super speed, just good vertical and good all round performance.
sorry but have no idea on motors
Rhysduk, I use the turnigy 2826 1400kv motor with a 7x5 APC prop. Battery is a 1300mah 3S, ESC is a 30A HK red brick. My F-14 is the standard sized F-14. It flies somewhat slower than you'd expect from a jet, but it has a good flight envelope nonetheless with decent vertical and a fair amount of oomph. Flight times are ~6-7 minutes. I have a suspicion that I am slightly over-propped, but it's never given me a problem.

For the second motor you linked, it looks similar in size to other ~50g 2200kv motors that can turn a 6x4 APC prop on 3S. I run a similar setup on a different plane and you can get very nice top end, low end, and good vertical performance out of it so long as the plane is under 600g. I think it might draw a tad more current, though. You shouldn't hit 600g on the MDC F-14 in any case. I've found that with this setup the plane can get away from you pretty quick if you aren't paying attention and just flooring the throttle.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:37 PM
Pusher jets rule!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
You also have another limiting factor on this plane, the size of the prop canyon. You will not be able to use anything larger than a 7" prop, and that's cutting it very close. The best setup for this plane is the motor in your second link with an APC 6X4E prop on 3S and a 30A ESC.

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech View Post
I disagree. The recommended prop for that 1400kv motor on 3S is a 7x4 prop. The same prop that I use on a 1450kv motor, and it works great.
I didn't say you couldn't use the 7" prop, only that it would be the max size available and would come very close to the edges of the prop canyon. That motor/prop combo would fly this F-14, but like rayonnair says, it won't perform as well as with the other 2212-6 motor on 3S and a 6X4E prop.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:29 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Thanks guys for the help :-)

Mine's taken a bit more shape over last weekend and is nearly ready for its maiden. Fingers crossed for a decent day this weekend!

Quick Q: has the CG been refined at all over the years or is it still on the carbon spar?
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:13 AM
Registered User
United States, MI, Sodus Township
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
I found the CG to work better on my plane at 3/4" to 1" in front of the spar, but I don't know what my AUW is, since I don't have a small scale. I made sure the CG was set froward quite a bit, and then slowly moved it back to where it flew well for me.
southwesterntech is offline Find More Posts by southwesterntech
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:21 AM
CNC Cutter
birdofplay's Avatar
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
Here is the CG drawing from the Designer, Mike Mayberry.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
www.balsabuddies.com

and YES !
I am still making these :-)
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:32 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Cheers guys! shall hopefully report back on the weekend after a maiden flight. :-)
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:05 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Sodus Township
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
and YES !
I am still making these :-)
Bird,
I was thinking about you the other day and wondering if you were still cutting these. I let a moment of bad judgement turn mine into a pile of foam-fetti the other day. It was an overcast day with a 5-7 mph breeze, but they had been calling for storms to roll through. I decided to take it up for a short flight after dinner. I launched it into the breeze and throttled up, and suddenly was blasted in the face with gale-force winds. The plane was bounced around like a cork in the sea, but I managed to circle around and get it pointed back into the wind and toward me, when it was suddenly flipped upward by a gust. I tried my best to get it under control, but it was at the mercy of the wind and I lost sight of it behind a treeline. I cut the power to the radio so the speed control would go into fail-safe and not burn anything up. We found it a few minutes later laying at the end of someones driveway. It acutally survived better than I expected, but the fuselage is unrecoverable. The wings and elevons are usable, and all of the electronics are intact.

That's when I thought of you and wondered how much you charge for your kits. That way I wouldn't have to spend time cutting foam.

Let me know how much for a 100% kit and wood parts.

Brian
southwesterntech is offline Find More Posts by southwesterntech
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech View Post
Bird,
I was thinking about you the other day and wondering if you were still cutting these. I let a moment of bad judgement turn mine into a pile of foam-fetti the other day. It was an overcast day with a 5-7 mph breeze, but they had been calling for storms to roll through. I decided to take it up for a short flight after dinner. I launched it into the breeze and throttled up, and suddenly was blasted in the face with gale-force winds. The plane was bounced around like a cork in the sea, but I managed to circle around and get it pointed back into the wind and toward me, when it was suddenly flipped upward by a gust. I tried my best to get it under control, but it was at the mercy of the wind and I lost sight of it behind a treeline. I cut the power to the radio so the speed control would go into fail-safe and not burn anything up. We found it a few minutes later laying at the end of someones driveway. It acutally survived better than I expected, but the fuselage is unrecoverable. The wings and elevons are usable, and all of the electronics are intact.

That's when I thought of you and wondered how much you charge for your kits. That way I wouldn't have to spend time cutting foam.

Let me know how much for a 100% kit and wood parts.

Brian
Brian,

Check his web site: www.balsabuddies.com Shows $38.50. My recommendation is white Depron for it's higher strength.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:26 PM
CNC Cutter
birdofplay's Avatar
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
Thanx Ted,
My recommendation too
specifically here ...
http://www.balsabuddies.com/cutouts/Listing.htm#MDCF14

I've been busy shipping FLyGuys due to FOX and CNN coverage
but they rest of them go out tomorrow,
http://www.balsabuddies.com/cutouts/...g.htm#FlyGuy60

L8r

Bob

BTW

IT IS BLASTING SNOW here RIGHT NOW !!! in Indianapolis
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:29 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Sodus Township
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
Yep, it's winter wonderland here too. Every school system around us is closed except for St. Joe.

Bob,
What is the structural differrence between the original Depron and the new Depron Alternative that you have on your site? I see it is slightly cheaper, but wondering if there are any drawbacks?

Brian
southwesterntech is offline Find More Posts by southwesterntech
Last edited by southwesterntech; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:44 PM
CNC Cutter
birdofplay's Avatar
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
It's a little more bendable.
If you want a stiffer fuse go with Depron
If you want to inch towards EPP go MPF.

But I'd go with Depron for this one because you want things to
remain parallel and Square all the time so as not to bind the wing swing.

I like MFP for just messing around and doing prototypes and
places where you want to bend a skin around a form.

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:48 AM
Kiss the Sky
electriceye's Avatar
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
It's a little more bendable.
If you want a stiffer fuse go with Depron
If you want to inch towards EPP go MPF.

But I'd go with Depron ..........
I like MFP for just messing around and doing prototypes and
places where you want to bend a skin around a form.

Bob
Hi,
This is news to me? Sounds ideal? good old Depron for main structure etc, but a new (?) type of foam, like depron but easier to bend for 'skins' with more complex bends and curves required? Can you tell me anything more about this 'new' foam?
Cheers in advance.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:07 AM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceye View Post
Hi,
This is news to me? Sounds ideal? good old Depron for main structure etc, but a new (?) type of foam, like depron but easier to bend for 'skins' with more complex bends and curves required? Can you tell me anything more about this 'new' foam?
Cheers in advance.
Here is the link to their site.

http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

Google "MPF foam" for more info.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:46 PM
Kiss the Sky
electriceye's Avatar
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Here is the link to their site.

http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

Google "MPF foam" for more info.

Ted
Thanks, I will look into it with interest. Any guys here in the UK know if its available this side of the pond?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Last edited by electriceye; Feb 02, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:34 PM
RC Adddict
Wilfor's Avatar
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,111 Posts
Modelplanefoam can be shipped over the pond as listed on the site . The just recently set this up
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update for F-14 EDF plan buyers. bipeflyer Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 6 Feb 11, 2005 01:10 AM
F-14 Scale EDF Whos kit is it ??? F900 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 6 Dec 07, 2001 08:26 AM
F-14 Tomcat EDF,pictures and questions bipeflyer Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 13 Jul 14, 2001 06:10 PM
Great Plane F-14 and Learjet conversions sbarrow Sport Planes 1 Jun 24, 2001 08:00 PM
f-14 center of gravity verus center of lift tony houk Power Systems 5 May 14, 2001 01:48 PM