HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:11 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripn4days View Post
Well I actually DID order the Grayson Hobby v2 jet setup about 2 weeks ago.
Yeah, saw that right after I posted as I'm subscribed to that Grayson thread too. I just can't see why Grayson has such a hard time with orders lately.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:12 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Pat, how much for just the motor?
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:13 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,669 Posts
$14.99, it is listed separately here:

http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/ind...roducts_id=245

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:15 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Looks like the grayson hobby one will suffice if you can build it light and it can really put out 100W. Not sure about the recommended prop for that on a 3S though.

The EMP 2826 is very similar to what I am using on mine, which is the turnigy D2826-10 1400kv motor. It spins a 7x5 or 7x6 APC IC prop. I run 1300mah turnigy nanotechs in them, I believe it is 20 or 25C. The packs come down slightly warm. The ESC is a 30A ESC, it is marginal for the job.

Hope that helps.
So given the option, why would you recommend the GH one over the setup you already have? Isnt your setup more powerful than my GH option?

I have a 30A ESC available, so perhaps I should just copy your setup... No?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:15 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Thanks Pat
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:34 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Quote:
So given the option, why would you recommend the GH one over the setup you already have? Isnt your setup more powerful than my GH option?

I have a 30A ESC available, so perhaps I should just copy your setup... No?
Well, I know mine will work. However, it is heavy, and I've always thought I wanted to have a lighter setup for the F-14. The grayson motor you linked on paper does appear to have the watts to drive the F-14 but as I haven't used it before I don't know if it works. Hopefully someone can help you out!
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:20 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
For the 12g weight difference and the fct that mine is made from DTfoam with paper still attached (ie probaly NOT the lightest) I'm gonna try out your setup rayonnair. Thank you for your feedback
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Anyone know if the CG noted is with wings open or closed?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:56 PM
ragwood rune
Rigby, Idaho
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
I cant say for sure what the intention was, but I balanced mine at half sweep. With the wings fully retracted, it becomes slightly tail heavy and with the wings fully extended, it become slightly nose heavy.
nscradar is offline Find More Posts by nscradar
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
I have very little cg change with wing sweep. Cg is at the spar in the fuse that runs horizontally to hold the wings in place. With wings swept, it's just my cruising speed increases by a tiny bit more throttle.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:13 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
So what is everyone's AUW looking like for this plane? I want to use my 2200mAh battery, but man, that sucker is a brick! I cant imagine my 850mAh packs will really be up to the task. I've got a great looking plane, but it sure feels heavy to me...
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined May 2011
2,359 Posts
28 oz with a 2200 3s Zippy. Mine is a little upsized.
AlfaXray1 is offline Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Yeah.... so lets just say the "pusher" design is a whole new way to fly. Maidened mine today, for about 10 seconds, 20 seconds and 10 seconds. Followed by a crash, another crash and, you guessed it, another crash

Never flown anything quite like it. Had CG perfect, wings swept or opened, didnt matter. It felt like I was trying to "surf" through the sky rather than fly. The only way I can really describe it is like trying to drive a car in reverse at really high speeds; or, trying to balance a baseball bat vertically in the palm of your hand...

::Saddy Face::

I'm kinda bummed, as I put a lot of energy into her, but that's the way the chips fall sometimes. I definitely wasnt prepared for the foreign flight characteristics. I thought it would fly just like any other plane...

But there is definitely a difference between pushing through the air and being pulled through the air. I was worried about the weight, but that didnt seem to be the issue, as at one point I accidentally shot straight up into the sky for like 60-70 feet
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,648 Posts
Quote:
Yeah.... so lets just say the "pusher" design is a whole new way to fly. Maidened mine today, for about 10 seconds, 20 seconds and 10 seconds. Followed by a crash, another crash and, you guessed it, another crash

Never flown anything quite like it. Had CG perfect, wings swept or opened, didnt matter. It felt like I was trying to "surf" through the sky rather than fly. The only way I can really describe it is like trying to drive a car in reverse at really high speeds; or, trying to balance a baseball bat vertically in the palm of your hand...

::Saddy Face::

I'm kinda bummed, as I put a lot of energy into her, but that's the way the chips fall sometimes. I definitely wasnt prepared for the foreign flight characteristics. I thought it would fly just like any other plane...

But there is definitely a difference between pushing through the air and being pulled through the air. I was worried about the weight, but that didnt seem to be the issue, as at one point I accidentally shot straight up into the sky for like 60-70 feet
Was the plane tail heavy?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:40 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,363 Posts
More Weight on the nose Tripin Sounds tail heavy to me
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor