HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:05 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,501 Posts
Hello again guys !

I have made my move to Indiana and ALMOST have my machine back together.

I Will most likely be doing a POWER ON test and recalibration this weekend.

So, my return as Hoosier Cutout Service should be done by the 1st week of December.
I'll be offering CNC cut Depron and Model Plane Foam kits again soon.
Same old URL - www.balsabuddies.com and a new e-mail addy on that page

L8r

Bpb
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,774 Posts
Welcome back! Hope everything is good with the new place
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
Just an idea.... But has anyone ever tinkered around with a mechanical, speed induced wing sweep?

When I was a kid I created an F-14 swing wing balsa (pictured below) that automatically swept the wings back at high speed and unfolded as the plane slowed down....

Obviously we are dealing with a much faster plane and much larger mass, but do you think some kind of spring system or even HD rubberband/bungee between the wings could create the same effect? Perhaps a shared gear in the middle would ensure the wings sweep equally on both sides? I see the sourcing or manufacture of a plywood gear as a bit troublesome without a laser cutter, but you'd only need 1 gear: Cut it in half and affix to wings similar to wood reinforcements in the original design. I cant imagine depron gear would be strong enough?

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried something like that with this model?

If feasible, it could eliminate the need for rudder-induced wing sweep and/or a 3 stage switch on the radio. I know my Futaba 6CH Tx, for instance, only has ON/OFF switches on Ch 5 & 6, eliminating the option for a mid-sweep setting. The 4CH radios dont typically have any kind of option for wing sweep other than using rudder stick...

Hmmm.... Unless using rudder trim tab with a really high negative expo setting would work? That option might allow for a near infinite number of sweep settings?

Thoughts? Ideas? Feedback?

I'm getting eager to start building here
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
Last edited by tripn4days; Nov 23, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
If you search this thread, there is a step-by-step guide (using Heli mode) for this. My 50% scale F-14 is setup for it.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:07 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
If you search this thread, there is a step-by-step guide (using Heli mode) for this. My 50% scale F-14 is setup for it.

Ksqm
I have to see if the heli option is possible on my radio... But it's an older radio though, so I doubt it.

Such is the appeal of a mechanical automatic wing sweep. Also there's a lot of newbie, park flyer type 4 channel folks out there that are getting into this scratch build foamie stuff
Last edited by tripn4days; Nov 23, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
Just did a mock up fitting. Made mine for $3 worth of DT foam Everything came out nice. Very little trim-to-fit needed.

Man, I just cant get over how sharp this model looks! I just keep wanting to stare at it...

Thank you for your fantastic looking, VERY well tiled piece of artwork. I love it already!!! Tomorrow I glue it all together. Doesnt look like weather's gonna pan out for quite some time, unfortunately.

It's the ultimate tease

Probably going with the stock setup for wing sweep on this version... Anyone know if an HS55 is up to the challenge on wings?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:38 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripn4days View Post
Just an idea.... But has anyone ever tinkered around with a mechanical, speed induced wing sweep?

When I was a kid I created an F-14 swing wing balsa (pictured below) that automatically swept the wings back at high speed and unfolded as the plane slowed down....

Obviously we are dealing with a much faster plane and much larger mass, but do you think some kind of spring system or even HD rubberband/bungee between the wings could create the same effect? Perhaps a shared gear in the middle would ensure the wings sweep equally on both sides? I see the sourcing or manufacture of a plywood gear as a bit troublesome without a laser cutter, but you'd only need 1 gear: Cut it in half and affix to wings similar to wood reinforcements in the original design. I cant imagine depron gear would be strong enough?

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried something like that with this model?

If feasible, it could eliminate the need for rudder-induced wing sweep and/or a 3 stage switch on the radio. I know my Futaba 6CH Tx, for instance, only has ON/OFF switches on Ch 5 & 6, eliminating the option for a mid-sweep setting. The 4CH radios dont typically have any kind of option for wing sweep other than using rudder stick...

Hmmm.... Unless using rudder trim tab with a really high negative expo setting would work? That option might allow for a near infinite number of sweep settings?

Thoughts? Ideas? Feedback?

I'm getting eager to start building here
I'm not sure how your futaba radio is set up, but on the DX6i which is a 6 channel radio with only 2 position switches I set up a mix that did something like the following:

Code:
SW1:      OFF OFF ON
SW2:      OFF ON  ON
POSITION: 1   2    3
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, MI, Sodus Township
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
Wow, that was A LOT of reading! I spent the last two weeks or so reading all 203 pages of this post. Maybz, you have definitely created a masterpiece with this design.

Birdofplay, you also have contributed greatly to this design with all you have done.

I downloaded the DXF files and rearranged the parts so that my son could cut them on the laser cutter at his school. I am doing my first model out of $Tree foam. It is assembled as far as I can go while I wait for my electronics order to arrive. I will be using:

1300mAh 25C 3s lipo battery
CDROM 2826 1500kv 140W purple motor
20A esc
TP SG-90 9g servos for elevons
Corona CS-939MG servo for the swing

This looks to be a fun little plane. I will post pics as soon as I have my gear and start installing it.

Thanks to all who contributed their 2₵ on this thread.
southwesterntech is offline Find More Posts by southwesterntech
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:04 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech View Post
Wow, that was A LOT of reading! I spent the last two weeks or so reading all 203 pages of this post. Maybz, you have definitely created a masterpiece with this design.

Birdofplay, you also have contributed greatly to this design with all you have done.

I downloaded the DXF files and rearranged the parts so that my son could cut them on the laser cutter at his school. I am doing my first model out of $Tree foam. It is assembled as far as I can go while I wait for my electronics order to arrive. I will be using:

1300mAh 25C 3s lipo battery
CDROM 2826 1500kv 140W purple motor
20A esc
TP SG-90 9g servos for elevons
Corona CS-939MG servo for the swing

This looks to be a fun little plane. I will post pics as soon as I have my gear and start installing it.

Thanks to all who contributed their 2₵ on this thread.
I'm worried about the 939mg. Do let us know how it turns out.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,501 Posts
the 939mg is supposed to be good for 5.5 lbs of torque - AKA 2.5 Kgm

If the model not built slippery enough to accommodate that much force
then there is a problem.

Sheeez , coming up from old mainframe type of computers then Unix workstations
then PC came of age and now everybody is a computer expert.

So I get a CNC machine 15 yrs ago and AND ONCE AGAIN, seems like everyone has access to one now.lately.

Still, it's a fun toy and another hobby all in it's self.

L8r

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:08 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,501 Posts
Hi Guys,

I believe that I have my CNC machine back together enough
to start making kits again.
I have some foam stocks and a have another 2 cases
of depron arriving on Wednesday.

I've made web page changes, so if you discover
something amiss please let me know right away.
Also NO MORE Black depron offerings.

I still have to get shipping boxes locally.
A trip to deepest darkest downtown Indianapolis is my
next step on Monday, then I'll be ready to go.

Thanks for your patience while I moved 2400 miles,
bought a new house and moved back in. Wheew !

As always I'm here to serve.
e-mail - bob@balsabuddies.com
Web pags - www.balsabuddies.com

Best,

Bob
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
tripn4days Strip off the paper from the foam and cover the foam with clear packing tape. This is stronger, lighter and more durable than the paper.

rayonnair Thanks for the tip on the DX6i using the switches to get three positions.

On the three I have built and flown, I have found landing with no power is problematic. Steering is nearly non existent without the vectored thrust from the motor. I've had rudders break off on two occasions and hit the prop (I now add a 1/32 ply strip in the rudder to body for strength). This chiped the prop and forced a dead stick landing which is fine but I found very little maneuvering control without the motor running. (I just missed the outhouse on one landing)
Poporbit is offline Find More Posts by Poporbit
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
full throttle flyer
Joined Nov 2012
35 Posts
what size would this plane be if made at 125%, and what power does it need to get it going
my_names_nobody is offline Find More Posts by my_names_nobody
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:02 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,501 Posts
Cant remember right off but I did a search using 125% and came up with these

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2865

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1178

I never finished my 125% although I see several other have had success.

Best

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
Birdofplay: I have read the complete F14 thread and am so impressed you have stayed with this and other threads. You bring so much enthusiasm and encouragement. Thanks
Poporbit is offline Find More Posts by Poporbit