HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:10 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,747 Posts
I just "hang" them like you say. Works fine. I do, however, also secure the lower tray to the fuse by more Velcro straps or tape.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jul 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
I just "hang" them like you say. Works fine. I do, however, also secure the lower tray to the fuse by more Velcro straps or tape.
thanks for share Rayonnair... gonna try the "hang" battery trick... but will reinforce with some extra velcro or something..
btw i read about your plane that have extra weight (around 21oz) but cant figure what motor-prop you use... just curious
tulushadi is offline Find More Posts by tulushadi
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined May 2011
2,222 Posts
I flew mine agin this past weekend, with the suggusted trick of mixing elev to elev and ail to ail. WOW what an improvement. The ailerons and elevator are much more responsive. Now I need to dial back the elevator part and leave in the aileron part. I don't like a touchy elevator, but it sure need the increase ailerons.
AlfaXray1 is online now Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,747 Posts
I like the full scale plane in the background

Tulushadi, a pic of my setup is attached.

Motor is a Turnigy 2826/1400kv swinging a 7x5 APC gasser prop. It's what I had, it seems to work. I get 7 minutes mixed flying off of a 1300mah 3S. I get 6 minutes off of a 1000mah 3S, but that's pushing the battery.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Jul 2011
8 Posts
that is very clear rayonnair... thanks for pic...
tulushadi is offline Find More Posts by tulushadi
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
I successfully maidened both models, (75% and 100%) I replaced the wing servo with new metal gear 11g units. The 75% developed so much slop in the wing links that it wont open to full extension but otherwise they flew beautifully. The smaller model is best in swept wing mode and the larger model is best in wing extended mode. A friend suggested i build a 87% version to get the best of both worlds. That sounds good to me.
I field swapped the 2200kv motor in the smaller model to the large model (formerly 1250kv). That made a real performer out of it but the set up created so much vibration that the motor tore loose after a few minutes of flight and cut off much of the tail. Fortunately the plane settled in a flat spn and no more damage was done. Repairs are now complete and ready for another flight tomorrow.
Poporbit is offline Find More Posts by Poporbit
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
Flew the repaired full size model again It was a short flight The ESC (30amp) died. Thats the second one to smoke with the 2200kv motor. I ordered some 40amp ESC's to cure this problem. I was real happy with the glide back to home base after the ESC failure. Landed at my feet.
I analysed the geometry for the swing wing set up. I wanted to know why the wing sweep was not identical on each wing. I found a slight modificaiton on lengths and servo positioning that improves the angle variation to less than +/- 2 degrees through the first 45 degrees of rotation. If anyone is interested, I can provide details and/or spread sheet to play with
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:43 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,112 Posts
You should not be smoking 30A ESCs with the 2200kv motor. What prop are you running on it?

EDIT - I see above you said a 5.5x6 prop. That is too much pitch. You really need something like a 6X4E.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:33 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
30 amp ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
You should not be smoking 30A ESCs with the 2200kv motor. What prop are you running on it?

EDIT - I see above you said a 5.5x6 prop. That is too much pitch. You really need something like a 6X4E.

Pat
You should always check your power system with a Power Meter to see how many amps you are drawing. They are not very expensive and will prevent "smoking" your ESC and battery.

You can also use one of those computer programs like MOTO-CALC.

If all else fails, check the motor mfg recommendatios. They often give you a prop chart that shows power setup for various batteries and props (not providedwith some cheap motors).
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Nov 01, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined May 2011
2,222 Posts
My BP2212/6 with a 6x4 prop is pulling 30 plus amps. So I always use a 40 amp speed control anyway. Better safe than sorry. A 5.5x6 is too much prop for these motors, i think.
AlfaXray1 is online now Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
I had checked the power prior to flight. Was pulling 30A at full power. Although it was at max rating of the ESC I was not running at full power and expected the power to unload in flight to provide additional margin. Unfortunately that ESC has no margin. At any rate a new ESC has arrived (40amp) and is installed (at a 16gm penalty). I won't get back to the field till next thursday to fly again.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
I now have 5 flights on the full size model. Wonderful flying machine. I'm letting others fly it to generate interest. All are impressed. I've nearly completed a 3rd version. This one is 115% of the plan. I'm working on a new servo swing design that will eliminate the asymmetric swing of the wings that create the 5 degree error at mid swing. Gears are too heavy so a push pull cable system looks most promising.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
Third plane is complete. These are real crowd pleaser's. High alpha is so much fun. Our flying field has commercial strawberry's planted for next year so this plane will be my primary parkfield flyer.

Some observations:
Wing servo design: with original geometry, one wing swings 48 degrees while the other only 40 degrees. To correct this I lengthened the lower servo arm 0.1 inches. Now both wings swing 48 degrees.
Foam: I used dollar tree foam on all models. I removed the paper from both sides and covered the foam with clear packing tape (dollar tree tape, one roll $1.00) every where except where glue is present. This gives a more durable finish than paper with no weight penalty.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:06 AM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
So I read the first 12 pages of posts and then skipped to the last page... I just laid out the templates and will cut tomorrow out of DT foam. This is my first pusher and first jet so I anticipate the first build "may" not last long... Also, with the posterboard/paper lining on this DT stuff, should I worry about rounding the edges, or just fly it square edged? Anyone done a square edger? If I was using depron I certainly would sand her down all nice, but this DT stuff (its my first time trying it) doesnt look like a sanding candidate.

Looking ahead to my second build of this plane...

Is there a precut 6mm Depron foam-only version of this plane available? I saw a few requests back in 2007 and a prototype from original poster, but without reading 200+ pages of posts, I just thought I'd ask.... This things got so many notches and cuts that I'd probably just prefer to order a nice precision precut version.

If a precuts available, please IM or email me

Thanks! I cant wait to tinker with this beaut!
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
Last edited by tripn4days; Nov 23, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:27 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,747 Posts
birdofplay sells a laser cut kit, but he is moving right now so I don't know if he is up and running.

Square edges are fine. Might be a bit slower at WOT is all.