RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:46 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,175 Posts
I really wanted to thank Maybz and everyone who helped contribute to this plane.

I'm really new to scratch builds, less than a month, this is my third design I decided to make as it looks great! I thought it would be pretty complicated, but really was easy and the design is genious.

Here was my maiden and I must say ... WOW this thing flies GREAT!!! Seriously great design.

Scratch Built F-14 Maiden (4 min 9 sec)
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
First Scratch Built Foamy

After reading through much of this thread, I am going to take the plunge and built this model. I am not a foamy guy but this swing wing design has won me over. Maybz is in the middle of moving so he will not have any kit to sell for a while. So, where do I start?
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:32 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
After reading through much of this thread, I am going to take the plunge and built this model. I am not a foamy guy but this swing wing design has won me over. Maybz is in the middle of moving so he will not have any kit to sell for a while. So, where do I start?
I live in the states and I went cheap and got my foam from a store here called Dollar Tree. Took 4 sheets and had to fuze 10" on to each foam sheet as Maybz plans are for 16x40" sheets and the dollar tree foam board is 20x30"

I know a lot of people like using depron, I cannot find that locally, but know there are online stores that carry it.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:49 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,860 Posts
Birdofplay sells kits too. You can get them from him if you want. I think he's all settled in now.

Queadlunnrau, grats on the maiden! This is one of my favourite planes, huge flight envelope, swing wings for uniqueness, and easy to build. You will get many flights out of her
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:21 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Birdofplay sells kits too. You can get them from him if you want. I think he's all settled in now.

Queadlunnrau, grats on the maiden! This is one of my favourite planes, huge flight envelope, swing wings for uniqueness, and easy to build. You will get many flights out of her
Pm'd him id like to build another one out of real depron, this one seriously was an awesome build and flies badarse
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:27 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,860 Posts
He runs the northwest cutout service. http://www.balsabuddies.com/. The website says he's still in the process of moving . Maybe that's what Iflyrc_vic meant.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
I am hoping that Balsabuddies comes back online, I would like to pick up a couple of these. Any idea when they might be back?
Lurien is offline Find More Posts by Lurien
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:14 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
Thanks !
I have managed to GET to Indianapolis but have not selected a home yet.
I expect/Hope to be back in business by the end of the yr.

Plenty of time for you to be ready for Spring flying :-)

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Thanks Bob, I will quietly wait on the edge of my seat. Good luck, I hope that you find the right place.
Lurien is offline Find More Posts by Lurien
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
I've just completed a 75% version of the F14. I had no depron available so I chose to build a smaller version using foam board from the dollar store. Motor is Turnigy 1250kv and weighs 9 oz with 800mah battery. First flight should be tomorrow, weather permitting. This is soooo much fun
Poporbit is offline Find More Posts by Poporbit
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
I have, once again, updated my BLOG with new "Digs" info.

Best

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:35 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poporbit View Post
I've just completed a 75% version of the F14. I had no depron available so I chose to build a smaller version using foam board from the dollar store. Motor is Turnigy 1250kv and weighs 9 oz with 800mah battery. First flight should be tomorrow, weather permitting. This is soooo much fun
Make a vid if u can, I was also thinking of making a smaller one, but chose to fuze foam board to make the right length instead.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:06 AM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
I attempted a maiden flight today. I could not clear the runway before a prop strike ended it prematurely, .I ran some calcs on thrust as a function of kv and prop pitch and determined I need to replace the motor. The turnigy 1250kv motor I was using is ideal for the full size model with a 7x5 prop but the 75% model only has room for a 5.5 inch prop. I would need a 10.5 pitch with that motor. So I ordered a 2200kv motor and will mate to a 5.5x6 prop to get the thrust I want. In the mean time... I'll start construction on a full size model to use the current motor. See, there is a silver lining in them clouds.
Poporbit is offline Find More Posts by Poporbit
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Jul 2011
8 Posts
i almost to maiden this plane, but could you guys post picture how to secure the battery, i plan to use 2 type lipo, 750 and 1300 mah, i know lot of you use velcro, but i have no idea how to attach it, because the position will be upside down, i doubt if hanging velcro will keep the lipo at position. i plan to be able to swap lipo at correct CG. thanks
tulushadi is offline Find More Posts by tulushadi