HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Congrats Bob good luck on the move. BTW I got my kit from you (super fast shipping) and have been working on it slowly. Was just ready to button up the top deck and ran out of thick CA and don't want to chance using thin on the top of the pivot disks. All I can said is the kit was perfect, I was able to assemble the whole fuse just by the tabs and slots without glue. I just wanted to see what it would look like and then started the actual build. Should wrap it up tomorrow. Robert
Robrotor is offline Find More Posts by Robrotor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
I got NEWS today !!! ( at least for me )

I got an acceptable OFFER for my home in the Northwest.

I will be moving in a month, to Indiana. ( near the Grand kids )

So, if you are on the fence about any of my stuff,
ya better make a decision NOW !

NOTICE:
Northwest Cutout Service is MOVING !
We will be moving to the Indianapolis area at the end of September,
close to the Grand Kids.
All orders received BEFORE September 15 will be honored
depending on stock availability.

However, all operations will be closed at that time.
We intend to reopen as soon as possible after relocation.
We very much appreciate all the business you have afforded us,

Thank you very much.

When we reopen we will make an announcement here as well as RCGroups.

Best regards

Bob
congrats and good luck on the move.

Its been probably years since I've been in this thread and I still have two of my MDC F14's that Bird cut for me. Going to get a new one built up for the upcoming Wenatchee huckfest.

very cool to see these birds still around!!
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,608 Posts
Thanks guys,

I have change the date to 7 and it looks like I have to get BUSY .. .LIKE NOW !!!

to get outa here by closing date.

C ya

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Macro
China, Chongqing
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
What a great design, thanks a lot Maybz.

I had my F-14 maiden flight yesterday. and she's absolutely did a great job.
I reduce the original size to 63%, so the wing span is 700mm while fully open.
because most of the foamborad are 5mm in chinese. I got to zoom down the size. before the maiden, I'm a little worry about the small wing span, but after her very first 30s in the air, everything is fine! she's really good than the any plane I built before.

I will build another F-14 this week. This time, I'm gonna build accroding to the original size. also I will use a larger servo with the wing sweep part. I believed she 'll bring me more happy flight.

Thank you, Maybz! You did a great job, because of you, lots of people like me could get happy flight and build their DIY confidence.

You are the MAN!

Macro Yan
From Chongqing,China
lion1029 is offline Find More Posts by lion1029
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,608 Posts
Nice build.

You are going to like this plane !

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:10 AM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
just to check up, after a little experimenting, i've got my f-14 working perfectly, its really joy to fly, i'm not sure what i had wrong before, but now its so much fun!

my recommendations for people using the motor from grayson hobbies, lots of carbon fiber, lol.
the elevon control surfaces needed a piece of carbon fiber to keep them from bending, the vertical tails needed a piece of carbon fiber run up them, (it actually made a big difference in how stable it flew, once without and one with- made a world of a difference). the little strip behind the motor where the flaps attach to needed a piece of carbon fiber, that ripped through almost instantly. use 2mm and 3mm carbon fiber rod, its really cheap and can be bought at your local hobby town.

has anyone else run into these problems? could it be the really powerful motor?

also for the wing sweep, if your having problems with getting it to work nicely, cut out a piece of 1/4in wooden down and to fit through the normal wing swing position. fill in the part you cut out of the wing and make a perfect 1/4in hole through it. having a 1.5 inch-ish diameter turn surface has like 10 times more resistance to over come then a 1/4in diameter turn radius, this may help with a lot of the problems of having the wing sweep, and could allow for a smaller, lighter servo to be used.
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Mike,

That's unusual. I've flow a couple of these with the 2212-6 motor, and have not had to reinforce any of the surfaces behind the motor. If tape hinges are used for the elevons, they should not bend or flex at all.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,608 Posts
Never used or recommended such a powerfull motor.

Bob
Last edited by birdofplay; Aug 20, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined May 2011
2,308 Posts
Mine is getting closer. It has a 1067 mm wingspan and a Turnigy 3536-1300 for power. I used carbon rods on verticals and across the back horizontal. Also by adding a fuller front top fuselage to hide my battery in it allows me to change batteries without flipping it over ov the table at the field and perhaps damaging the fins.
AlfaXray1 is offline Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AlfaXray1; Aug 20, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
new kid on the block
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
really? im surprised, i ran into problems quickly, i could just be my limited build experience and using the dollar tree foam which i've found to be much less durable than pink insulation foam.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:26 AM
new kid on the block
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
alrite, so i was just out flying my f-14, first flight, no problems, everything going great. second flight went well, not so great, i had the timer set and the plane dropped out of the sky a minute and a half earlier than it should have, i didn't know why until i walked up to it and the plane was on fire.... after running to the burning plane and trying to put out the now pretty good sized fire i had to call 911 to get fire engines in to put out the fire because it was growing so fast. sooo i guess i don't have a f-14 plane anymore, everything was toasted... so i'm out about $100 and wondering if my other plane is in danger of catching fire...

i used dollar tree foam, could that be the problem? i used 3s 1500mah 25c lipo batteries compacts by zippy, any issues there? then i had the power kit from grayson hobbies and a cloned receiver. do you guys see any obvious problems with this set up?

i just want to know or have a good idea of why my plane malfunctioned and who to call if there are any refunds available.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,851 Posts
Dude, sorry to hear about your bird .

Lipos can catch fire for a variety of reasons. Over discharge, hot weather, to name a couple. I know this is the last thing on your mind right now, but have you considered that you may have been running the batteries too close to the edge? As a rule of thumb I do not ever discharge my batteries below 20%, and my normal flights are actually timed to end with my batteries at nominal voltage (11.4 or so on 3S) because it makes storage charge a snap.

How long did you run it for? How many amps does your setup draw at WOT on static tests? Did you fully charge your battery beforehand? Did you balance your packs?

I use zippy 1500s, turnigy nano techs and some brand called voltron. All are fine, I just have to manage it. Check your own gear first, carefully! Only if everything checks out would I consider going to the hobby shops, and even then only with evidence. I had exactly one failure caused by a faulty lipo, on a buggy, and my LHS guys actually witnessed it. Had they not, and had they not checked my buggy personally, I don't think I would have gotten the replacement I did.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Last edited by rayonnair; Aug 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Pressed submit by accident
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
new kid on the block
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
well that could be a problem, i was just running the batteries to the safety cutoff pre-set into the esc... they would get pretty low, more like 10.6 or something... hmmm... the battery wasn't hot the first time so thats why im not thinking it wasn't battery...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
Uk Leicester
Joined Dec 2008
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
I finally received all the parts I need to start the build. I've used cf in the deck, wings and tail. The motor mounts are 1/4' ply. I've wrapped the wing pivots with stencil blank sheets cut to fit and glued on. The lower fuse is glued and servo's installed. I think the next step will be to glue nacelles/mount motors.

Damon

Have you finished it Yet
Gazzaxr4x4 is offline Find More Posts by Gazzaxr4x4
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzaxr4x4 View Post
Have you finished it Yet
I have finished it. I have had two attempted maidens that didn't work out too well. Both flights were short due to lack of speed...just wont accelerate enough to stay airborn. Last attempt lasted longer but speed was so slow that there wasn't enough air flow over tailerons to turn All the plane will do is a nose up high alpha...lol. I know that getting the nose down will help to increase speed but I cant even get enough altitude to get the nose down. I dont really understand what the problem is because thrust is close to 1:1 if I remember correctly. Hmmmmmm, could it possibly just be too tail heavy? If thats the case, I dont have any more room to move batt forward. When I checked cg it seemed to be fine according to the measurements provided in thread. Any suggestions?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH