HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:32 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Pat, I am DIGGIN it. Can't wait till this w/e.
I was thinking about putting a lead weight on a wire that will move to keep the CG constant despite the wing postion. Has anyone tried this?
I have not viewed this thread in a few years, about the time I ordered the kit off RCG's from the designer.

Rick
No need for that weight thingie. The CG shift is insignificant, it's the CP change that requires a bit of trim but it's minor and not worth bothering about. When you sweep the wings your attention will be focused on roll control not a minor pitch change!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,682 Posts
Roll control, and keeping up with the sudden increase in speed.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Roll control, and keeping up with the sudden increase in speed.

Pat
I'm sure you mean also heart speed! You are so right about that. The difference in top speed between wing positions is remarkable. At full sweep it is a real adrenalin rush! Whew!

Ted
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:12 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,682 Posts
"Heart speed". Yeah, that too.

Pat
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:30 PM
United States, IN, Huntington
Joined Jul 2011
46 Posts
ok, one more question, since i'm new and all... how do you recommend gluing the foam pieces together... i've read... and read... and read in all sorts of different forums... and basically everywhere i see it reccomends some sort of epoxy, or hot glue... but i seem to have issues with over-gluing, cause the first plane i built came out WAY to heavy... so i build a f-14, and i only "spot" glued it, kinda like tack welding... but it seems like structurally it isn't very strong... one hard landing, and i feel like all the parts are going to come off... so basically i'm asking what a good "gluing technique" is... should i glue a several inch section, and then leave a section un-glued? or what...

thanks for any answers in advance... without this forum, i woulda prolly gave up on building and just bought a pre-fab'd plane by now...
jl521080 is offline Find More Posts by jl521080
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:42 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl521080 View Post
ok, one more question, since i'm new and all... how do you recommend gluing the foam pieces together... i've read... and read... and read in all sorts of different forums... and basically everywhere i see it reccomends some sort of epoxy, or hot glue... but i seem to have issues with over-gluing, cause the first plane i built came out WAY to heavy... so i build a f-14, and i only "spot" glued it, kinda like tack welding... but it seems like structurally it isn't very strong... one hard landing, and i feel like all the parts are going to come off... so basically i'm asking what a good "gluing technique" is... should i glue a several inch section, and then leave a section un-glued? or what...

thanks for any answers in advance... without this forum, i woulda prolly gave up on building and just bought a pre-fab'd plane by now...
What has worked best for me for gluing depron is foam safe CA. I only use hot glue for tacking in servos or small pieces of velcro (like to hold an ESC). I use only epoxy (sparingly) to glue in carbon rods or ribbon for spars or in making control rods.

HTH,

Ted
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
46 Posts
that leads me to another "noob" question... what is "foam safe CA"... i understand what "foam safe" means... but what is "CA"??? and would my local hobby shop cary it??? they've been helpful with helping me out so far... but i know NOTHING... lol
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:49 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,371 Posts
Another great glue is White Gorilla Glue , it foams when activated with water so its best to practice with it a bit before using on a model but it makes for strong joints .
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:00 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
that leads me to another "noob" question... what is "foam safe CA"... i understand what "foam safe" means... but what is "CA"??? and would my local hobby shop cary it??? they've been helpful with helping me out so far... but i know NOTHING... lol
CA is an abbreviation for Cyanoacrylate. Also called 'super glue'. Sold by most all hobby suppliers, it comes in several formulations. Many are "regular" CA, in very thin, thin, medium and thick consistencies for different applications. It will melt most foams including depron so don't try to use it for this or similar models. This is the type you want.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Foam_Safe.html

'Foam safe' CA is generally thicker and slower curing than 'regular', and most people use an accelerator or "kicker" to make it set fast.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_2._oz.html

Ted
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:10 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,682 Posts
jl521080,

Also check out this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052464

Lots of tips and techniques for working with depron. Includes info on glue and power systems for pusher jets like this one.

Pat
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:56 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
74 Posts
Quote:
hey, i need to know where to buy depron foam? i've checked rcfoam.com, and like 90% of what i want is sold out... grrrrrrrr

i ended up just sucking it up and buying white depron instead of the Grey i wanted... so no need for sites where i can buy depron...

thanks anyways...

i am still wondering where a good spot to put landing gear of some sort would be... as well as any advice on how to make sure it's good and strong...
I see your from Indiana although a ways off. Hobbytown in Greenwood keeps depron in stock in several thicknesses. I think MAYBE that Barb at HobbyRC has it too. They also (both places) carry foam safe CA! Dont forget the accelerator for the CA
Kevin Kyle is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Kyle
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kyle View Post
I see your from Indiana although a ways off. Hobbytown in Greenwood keeps depron in stock in several thicknesses. I think MAYBE that Barb at HobbyRC has it too. They also (both places) carry foam safe CA! Dont forget the accelerator for the CA

i bought some 6mm depron from Rcfoam... it's actually sitting on my front door as we speak... FedEx dropped it off at 1:03... funny thing is... at 1:00 i left to go to work... to top it off... i work for FedEx... hahaha anyways... back to the topic... i also bought foam safe CA and accelerator from HobbyRC, and it says it should be delivered today as well...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:39 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
i bought some 6mm depron from Rcfoam... it's actually sitting on my front door as we speak... FedEx dropped it off at 1:03... funny thing is... at 1:00 i left to go to work... to top it off... i work for FedEx... hahaha anyways... back to the topic... i also bought foam safe CA and accelerator from HobbyRC, and it says it should be delivered today as well...
Does that mean we can expect pictures of your finished Tomcat tomorrow?

Here is a quick tip on using the accelerator (kicker) for CA. Three basic ideas really. 1. If you need a really fast bond mist some kicker to piece A, put CA on piece B, align carefully without touching and then press into position. 2. If you need more assembly time put CA on piece A, press into position on piece B and then mist some kicker on the joint. 3. Gluing without kicker results in the most time for the CA to cure but be careful not to jostle the bond for maybe an hour or so.

Note on the accelerator is that it still works when it has dried, maybe not as fast. A lot on a joint will cause it to get quite warm/hot so don't over do it.

Ted
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Jul 2011
46 Posts
i read on the site, it said that i'd have about 20-30 seconds till "set" and to let it "cure" for the next hour... i thought that seemed fast... (that was without the kicker...)
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:48 AM
UK, Sussex
Joined Jan 2009
568 Posts
I found the gluing method that (I think) was recommended earlier in this thread works well. That is, spray accelerator on one piece of foam, put foam-safe CA on the other, and press together. Light weight and pretty strong.

My F-14 is out of action with a bent motor shaft at the moment. Should have used a prop saver

It made me chuckle when someone asked above "is that a full-size version?" and the answer was yes... I was just imagining a depron foamy with 19.54 m wing span!
Davee1 is offline Find More Posts by Davee1