Old Dec 13, 2007, 03:21 PM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
United Kingdom, Rushden
Joined Dec 2005
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybz
Ian,
both of those look like good options.. the 150MGR is nice because of the 120 degree rotation and would eliminate the need for 150% travel on the TX.
I also found this one at Hobby Lobby which looks very similar...

SR9320MG http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servos.htm
Hey,

Yeah thats does look very similar, although power is down a little if I am not mistaken it's difficult comapring metric to imperial specs
The casing looks the same, probably is equivelant to a Waypoint servo just badged differently.

As you say the retract servo is the better option as with the extra rotation you wont need such a long arm, in turn allowing the servo to generate more torque as well as the load isn't so far out from centre.

Ian
coolice is offline Find More Posts by coolice
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:59 PM
Vietnam Vet US NAVY
Joined May 2004
301 Posts
SMKN,

The elevon mixer mixes the two signal from ailerons & elevator channel to give you elevon control

Here's the link to UH, but they are out of stock at the moment. You can also get the GWS one at Tower Hobbies for around ten bucks

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idproduct=6321
Captainrandy is offline Find More Posts by Captainrandy
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:06 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolice
... it's difficult comapring metric to imperial specs
To convert from kg.cm to oz.in multiply the kg.cm value by 13.858

eg.: 2.2kg.cm = 2.2x13.858 = 30.488 oz.in

54oz.in = 54/13.858 = 3.897 kg.cm

Hope that helps

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:23 PM
Glitch
kauai, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2006
534 Posts
Whoa, this is getting good. Hey, Maybz. You know your design is a good one when everyone is chipping in to refine what they think is a great design. What!? Did you hear that? Sounded like foamie of the year sounds to me.....Yeehaww. I can hear that theme song from "Top Gun" as we speak! Hey, what can I say?! Giddy as a school boy. "I'll have you know, my aircraft and crew come first" ROCK & ROLL BABY! Sorry, could'nt resist.

SS
Stephen Shioi is offline Find More Posts by Stephen Shioi
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
All kits are sold... gone in under 24 hours. If you sent PP and did not receive an email confirmation please let me know. My appologies to those who didn't get on the list... but at least you can still roll yer own.

Thanks and cheers.
Maybz is offline Find More Posts by Maybz
Last edited by Maybz; Dec 14, 2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:26 PM
RobbeUK & Midland Helicopters
United Kingdom, Rushden
Joined Dec 2005
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
To convert from kg.cm to oz.in multiply the kg.cm value by 13.858

eg.: 2.2kg.cm = 2.2x13.858 = 30.488 oz.in

54oz.in = 54/13.858 = 3.897 kg.cm

Hope that helps

chewy
Hey Chewy,

Thanks mate. I used to be a mechanical/electrical engineer and the lathes/mills all had imperial dials on them, but it's been a while so I've forgot the conversions.
Having said that I never knew this one for power conversions.

I totally agree with Stephen Shioi, Maybz F-14 should be foamie of the year.

Ian
coolice is offline Find More Posts by coolice
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:32 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,602 Posts
Flew my F-14 again today.

First thing I did as to try out the Parachute maneuver ! ! !
yup yup yup WORKS for ME TOO :-) !!! whoo hoo ! ! !

Tried an 800 ma Lipo 3s1p pushed forward under the front bottom piece.
That worked too ! but didnt last as long !

Big Fun :-)
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:38 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
Assembly manual...

Quote:
I just added an assembly manual to the first thread. It is not complete but will at least give you an idea of how it goes together and in what order.
Use a good strong servo for the sweep - the HS-45 that I am currently using doesn't have enough poop to move the wing in level flight - I have to move it while in a climb or a dive. Probably need something in the 25oz/in range.

Cheers.
I'm a little lost here. You state that the assembly manual is on the first thread. Where is the first thread located? I can't seem to find the manual and would love to build this jet. Great job on the build, jet and videos and thanks for sharing with all of us. Unfortunately I missed your sale. I'm so anxious to fly it I would have preferred buying your kit. Thanks again.

Jim
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:30 PM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
If you think this is the best go here and let your voice be heard...

2007 Foamie of the Year Vote for most interesting design

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783876

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolice
Hey Chewy,

Thanks mate. I used to be a mechanical/electrical engineer and the lathes/mills all had imperial dials on them, but it's been a while so I've forgot the conversions.
Having said that I never knew this one for power conversions.

I totally agree with Stephen Shioi, Maybz F-14 should be foamie of the year.

Ian
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:06 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
Best to date...

Quote:
Tab overlap has been fixed in tiled plans - download "foam parts tiled 2" from the first thread. Glad you like it.
Maybz,
I've been going through this thread and I have to tell you, of all the plans I've looked at so far, yours has to be my favorite. Fly's great, looks great and as complex as it seems, it looks like it will be a build that's not too difficult considering what the final product looks like. I'm very excited about starting this build. I just had a hernia surgery but once I'm recovered I'm going to start this first thing. I can't wait to get going on it. Thanks again for sharing your plans with the rest of us.

Jim
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:27 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,602 Posts
Guys, Posting ( not thread ) 1 and 2 ( check all the Pix )
"should " be enough to get this thing together.

Afterall, The parts only fit one way.

I agree that it's well done, complex, yet easy to build.
After all, Mike wanted this to be a ONE NIGHT BUILD !
( he uses foam safe CA )
I used 5 min epoxy and some Sumo !

I had some issues with the wing swing geometry but not enough that
it held up progress. This was MY first Swing wing too.

Proof is in the flying and it PROVES itself nicely :-)

I was hessitant re the wing strength and attchments but it has proven
to be strong enough for my Aero- Shenanigens ! :-)

Loops , rolls, 8's Stalls, goor vertical, Helicopter-stall,
wings-back rolls like crazy !
I'm a happy camper !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:41 AM
medium-sized Lewbowski
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2005
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimweda
Maybz,
I've been going through this thread and I have to tell you, of all the plans I've looked at so far, yours has to be my favorite. Fly's great, looks great and as complex as it seems, it looks like it will be a build that's not too difficult considering what the final product looks like. I'm very excited about starting this build. I just had a hernia surgery but once I'm recovered I'm going to start this first thing. I can't wait to get going on it. Thanks again for sharing your plans with the rest of us.

Jim
Thank you Jim, that is a very nice compliment. And thanks to everyone else who has taken the time to post their compliments and critiques. I did my best to make it easy and quick to assemble, but it certainly ain't perfect.

Jimweda - about the manual... like I mentioned earlier I took down all of the Mk1 stuff in order to minimize confusion. I still plan to post a new Mk2 manual but until then you'll have to go by the build pics which are pretty detailed.

Coolice and Chewytm - Here is a link to a cool little program that I have been using for years now.. it's the best thing I've found for converting almost anything to anything. It's basically just a free-standing Excel program but it is really handy and best of all, it's FREE.

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/
Maybz is offline Find More Posts by Maybz
Last edited by Maybz; Dec 15, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:47 AM
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,670 Posts
Another neat trick is go to google.com and type in your question.

4 inches= ? mm
66 mm=? inches
3 feet =? mm
What ever you need and it will give you the answer.
LOGICAL_PSYCHO is offline Find More Posts by LOGICAL_PSYCHO
Old Dec 15, 2007, 02:51 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Jim, that is a very nice compliment. I did my best to make it easy and quick to assemble.

Jimweda - about the manual... like I mentioned earlier I took down all of the Mk1 stuff in order to minimize confusion. I still plan to post a new Mk2 manual but until then you'll have to go by the build pics which are pretty detailed.

Coolice and Chewytm - Here is a link to a cool little program that I have been using for years now.. it's the best thing I've found for converting almost anything to anything. It's basically just a free-standing Excel program but it is really handy and best of all, it's FREE.

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Thanks for the link. Will check it out.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Dec 15, 2007, 06:42 AM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
hello everyone,
i was having issues with a motor not having enough oomph, fc 2805. so i replaced it with a blue(silver)wonder 1700 kv and still the same, running 6 in props and 1000mah 3 cell 20c batt and 20 amp esc.
i have a few tp 2408. but i think it might be too heavy. i also have eflite 370 out runner.
need everyone's opinion on which motor to use.
TIA
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951