HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:29 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,481 Posts
Unless you have thin 2200's or have made your fuse bottom a bit more "generous",
I doubt if that size lipo will even fit.

Regardless I have used 3M Velcro on batteries of that size and never had one tossd out !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:22 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
USA, FL, Green Cove Springs
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Well, I maidened it last night.

I was able to get a 2200 in there OK - the hatch was a little pushed up, but secure. I also have a couple 1800's that are a bit thinner so I'll probably go that way.

I took off, and it needed A LOT of up stick. I porpoised it around a bit before I finally got some altitude and clicked in enough trim to get it almost flying OK.

Everytime I gave it up elevator, she rolled left. Weird.

In the video, about 1:41 in, everything died on me. No motor, no controls. I was making a bit higher power run (still getting the feel for her) at just around half throttle.

As I had zero control, I watched her land on the roof of the Junior High I was flying at. Another 3 feet of altitude would have cleared the peak and she would have slid down the other side. But, Murphy's law says that couldn't happen. So, she was stuck right at the peak of the school.

My buddy Jim was filming for me - a nice snicker from him when I hit the roof, eh?

We drove to the fire station down the road, and they were nice enough to come out and fetch her for me.

She has a lttle damage to her nose, and the left nacelle bottom was broken where it hit on of the stiffeners on the roof. And the battery hatch cover was snapped in two. That was it for damage. Yippee!

Of course, when I grabbed my transmitter, everything worked as advertised.

I'm thinking my ESC shut down due to overheating. I always thought that if that happened it would shut down the motor power but still give you servo control. Right?

I need to try to find some depron and some CA un-bonder (is there such a thing that will work on depron???) so I can fix her. I think I will be moving the ESC to the trough between the center body and the nacelle - out in the open for cooling.

MDC F-14 maiden (2 min 0 sec)
ugly john is offline Find More Posts by ugly john
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:35 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,973 Posts
Check the max travel of both left and right tailerons to make sure you are getting the same amount of travel on max up/down elevator stick. If they are not, then you ned to adjust the Travel Volume or EPA to make them the same. Maybe they elevtors moving more one side and making the plane roll also

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jun 17, 2009, 06:04 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Check the max travel of both left and right tailerons to make sure you are getting the same amount of travel on max up/down elevator stick. If they are not, then you ned to adjust the Travel Volume or EPA to make them the same. Maybe they elevtors moving more one side and making the plane roll also

chewy

That's what I'm figuring. Everything was good at the house, then I went and set up differential. D'oh!!!! I guess with the elevon set up it may not work the same.

It's low priority now until I get her fixed up again. I'm sure glad I didn't spend much time making her pretty - just a quick coat of gray.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:05 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,703 Posts
Happy Camper

I was finally able to maiden the Tomcat today, and am happy to report that it is home in one piece and cosmetically the same as yesterday!

It didn't need any trim adjustment at all with the wing swept to the forward or mid position, but it has a right roll when fully swept. The wings are symmetrical at all sweep angles as seen from some low passes, so I don't know the cause yet. Boy, is this thing FAST with the wings swept!

I ran three sizes of batteries, from 1300 to 1800 mAh, and couldn't tell any difference in performance due to weight change. (Well, it didn't float as long in a parachute with the larger batts, but that was all I could really tell.) HC just received shipments of several battery sizes and today I ordered 4 of the new Turnigy 1800 20Cs. They are a new line and I'm hoping they are as good as the FlightMax and Rhino series, and they are really cheap at only $11.95 each! If they are any good at all they will be good for several other models I have in the hangar as well as this one.

I also flew my Mig-29 for the first time since increasing the aileron throws. Great fun and very nice compared to the F-14. Too bad there is no way that I can think of to add ailerons / roll spoilers to the -14 (but NOT with full sweep, YIKES!). That learning curve is still very steep.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:05 AM
Twisted Bannistator
Bromley, Kent, UK
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
loving my model, it flies like a rocket, nearly tops my starmax f18 hornet. An excellent design, wished i made it more scale than profile but still, swing wing makes up for it

RC Airshow part 1 (9 min 13 sec)
bannistator is offline Find More Posts by bannistator
Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:36 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Nice vid bannistator- Your F-14 fairly zips along! What is the F-18 model and the specs?
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:14 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,481 Posts
Did I mention that I saw a guy in Yakima doing INSANE verticle dives
and a last second Pullup and power out ?

I used to fly a lot of 4-line Kites ( Revolutions )
They could be powered straight down and Stopped in an instant
similar to the maneuver that I saw with our F-14's in Yakima.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:08 PM
Twisted Bannistator
Bromley, Kent, UK
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
The F18 is a starmax ARTF kit, they'be branded it exceed r/c in the us, bit pricey, but worth it. A whopping 4 cell battery (don't laugh you 6 cell guys) drivers a 45A controller and a 2836 Brushless Motor think around the 4000Kv range, turning a 70mm 5 bladed fan. Its a brilliant plane stock, but had to make modifications by adding rudders, finding it could stall alot, rudders help flip you around in suprising wind, well worth it. Used a spoileron mix on my dx6i, real good for high alpha. Gonna add the rcpowers leading edge slat, or fronterons as he calls them, for more alpha. They say it does 80mph, but i reckon in a little breeze it can top 100.

Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:03 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
I bought the same one about a month ago. it pretty good, I was surprised how well it flew. I have a little warp in one of the wings of my F-14 now, When I sweep the wings it wants to roll..LOL
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:52 AM
Twisted Bannistator
Bromley, Kent, UK
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
lol! i think that's a fine excuse to make a fresh one of these f-14 beasties! i'm tempted to make a spare one of these so as soon as something's wrong with this one, i can go straight on the other, This has deffinatley been the best flying homemade project! It hovers, and it goes like a bullet, brilliant!
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:55 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I got a shipment of Depron from RCFoam the other day. About $10 for a sample pack of various thicknesses and colors. Ordered Tuesday at 10am, it was at my door on Wednesday.

So, I now have what I need for repairs. I think I am going to move the ESC out of the center trough, and into the nacelle to keep cooling air on it. That is the only reason I can think of for everything to shut down on me.

Besides moving the ESC, I will need to make a new bottom cover for one nacelle, a new battery hatch, and a couple repairs to the nose. Not too bad - I just have to find the time for it. It should be flying again sometime next week if not this weekend.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:40 AM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Joined Jul 2008
1,583 Posts
I was able to take my newly-repaired F-14 out yesterday morning for a couple flights.

It went much better this time. The ESC is now taped to the lower center section in the airstream. This seems to have been the problem before - no issues this time at all with it cutting out.

She still wanted to roll left when I pulled up, but smoothed out when I clicked in a bunch of right trim. Of course, with the wings swept the trim changes quite a bit. I will have to go over her again and double check that everything is square, or at least adjust the linkages.

It was windy, so I was fighting that the whole time. The first flight, the battery came down so hot that it puffed a bit, and melted the label off of the battery - to which the velcro was attached. Luckily it didn't break loose until touchdown.

The second flight went great. The battery came down nice and cool, and I flew about the same profile, so I'm thinking that one battery may be toast - it is my oldest pack - a Parkzone 1800 15C.

I was on final approach for a grass landing, when a surveying stake jumped up in front of the plane and tried to impale it- dead center on the lower center section just forward of the battery hatch. Time for another small repair.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:27 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,481 Posts
For newbees to this thread

Bob still makes CNC cut, Black or White, 6mm depron, Parts sets for the MDC F14.
http://www.balsabuddies.com/cutouts/bbshop.htm

I only post, once again, as I've had some inquiries lately.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:09 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,703 Posts
Broke My Jet!

About three minutes into a flight the other day the ESC shut down motor power. I was able to land OK, but found the ESC to be very hot (Suppo 30a). This has never happened to me before. I also had added scoops to improve the cooling for the ESC, but it didn't help. Previous flights were not a problem, go figure.

Well, I went to fly my Mig-29 while the F-14 ESC cooled and snagged my thumb on the right stick after hand launching it, DOH! Result was a split S into the ground from 15 feet. Broke the nose off (again), plus some other damage but a fairly easy fix.

Now back to the F-14. Control and power check OK and launch. Flies out to about 15 ft and rolls inverted, does not respond to control inputs and... Crunch!!!

Seems I didn't change my transmitter back from the Mig to the F-14. What a bonehead! All of the damage was to the nose and battery door so another not so hard repair, but I'm not comfortable with the ESC now. Like ugly john, I think I will move the ESC to the left nacelle for better cooling.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted