HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2009, 11:07 PM
United States, LA, Blanchard
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
v bend

yes you have it right.. both rods have a small bend so you can make the rod shorter or longer..by opening or closeing the v bend..can't get my head around why it's not letting you adjust each wing so the sweep is the same. i must be missing something..you should be able to adjust each wing a couple of inches eather way just doing that..the only thing i can think of is the holes on the ends of the servo arms are not the same from the center of the servo. if it was only out by 1 mm at the servo you could see 1/2 to 1 inch at the wing tip..the wood peice that bolts onto the servo i made the holes a little slotted so i could slide it side to side to get it even..i feel that is were your trouble is..all the adjustment at the rods will not make up if the rod ends at the servo arms are not the same from the servo center. hope this helps...

Randy
randynsaudi is offline Find More Posts by randynsaudi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2009, 11:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
I measured the center of the servo arm to teach hole at the ends of the wood arm and it was exactly but I was still getting a difference. Right now I've got the servo end holes a mm or so different and it is closer.

The problem could also be that my holes drilled into the triangular piece of wood on the wings aren't the same. As I was thinking about the build I wanted to stack those on my drill press when I drilled them but when it came time for it I had forgotten. They are very close but it's another area that could be part of the issue.

It flies well right now with the trim the way I have it setup so I'm not sure if I will mess with it. I want to, but I don't know if I should!
sgf323 is offline Find More Posts by sgf323
Old May 08, 2009, 11:36 AM
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
trim

if it flys good as is leave it. and start another one.. mine first one was a little sloppy but after that the others were fine..learned off the first one
Old May 08, 2009, 12:45 PM
St.Petersburg, Fl.
Joined Mar 2009
2 Posts
Hello to all.
I just found this thread a few days ago and have been reading all the post. Lots of info but after viewing some of the vids I new I had to build one of these F-14's. So I have just placed an order for my own pizza box. So Bob I hope you will fire up that cnc oven of yours and cook one up. I think I have all the topping to spice it up.

And yes, this is my first post but not my first build.

Great thread!!!
Keith
leadstick54 is offline Find More Posts by leadstick54
Old May 08, 2009, 01:08 PM
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
hello to all

welcome....build it as per plan and she's a dream..then like a lot of us you want to find the " speed of Foam " the speed that parts start to rip off of her in flight.LOL..so far my fastest one has been with a JustGoFly 450 5.5 X 5.5 prop and 4 cell pack..hot hot hot gets her in the 22 oz range hard to beleave something so small and heavy flys so well rigged for speed..
Old May 08, 2009, 01:31 PM
St.Petersburg, Fl.
Joined Mar 2009
2 Posts
Thanks Randy, I will start off mild to get it up and then will do up some hot spice as you have and see what I can handle.
leadstick54 is offline Find More Posts by leadstick54
Old May 08, 2009, 03:23 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,548 Posts
sounds like Pizza sauce to me :-)
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old May 08, 2009, 03:34 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
I reworked my wings a bit last night to get them a bit closer. Still requires some trim like before but much less now. I'm satisfied where it is at as far as that goes but I think I may add a rudder just to see what kind of maneuvers I can do with it.
Old May 14, 2009, 08:29 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
I added rudders this evening. The aviation forecast doesn't look good for the next few days though so I'm not sure when I'll be able to test it out.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:04 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,548 Posts
Sorry for your bad luck.

The weather here is improving for the weekend ,
so I am heading over the Cascades to Yakima to an AeroTow event !

Better luck next week.
Old May 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
The rain held off for today so I was able to fly!

Rudders=Awesome! So good that I'm going to add them to all my park jets and may retrofit the ones I already have.

I made the rudders in the plane very small and I thought maybe they wouldn't have much authority but they have plenty. Full rudder will roll the plane over quite quickly but it didn't need much at all to be effective so I never used the full throw after seeing how little movement was required to get the maneuvering I wanted.. Managing rudder and opposite aileron to stop the roll coupling along with some up elevator allows me to do some nice flat turns. It also makes it possible to do tighter slow speed turns. Without the rudder if I roll and pull to turn quickly while having low air speed the plane quickly loses lift but with the rudder/aileron/elevator turn I'm able to keep the plane as level as I want and maintain altitude through the turn at low speed.

Is there a technical term for using rudder + opposite aileron for doing flat turns?
Old May 21, 2009, 11:58 AM
Joined Feb 2009
183 Posts
Anybody think of adding a small rubber band to the wing mechanism to compensate for the air resistance against forward movement so that the force required of the servo for forward and aft motions would be somewhat equal? I know on the ground it would have trouble going back, but in the air it would balance out. If done properly it would allow use of a lower weight servo. When I get to building this I will post my results after attempting it, unless someone else gets to it first...
Jetman123 is offline Find More Posts by Jetman123
Old May 21, 2009, 01:28 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
I wouldn't bother with doing that. Poly tape and a strong S3102 servo works extremely well for me. I think the ease of doing it that way outways the added problems with trying to figure out a rubberband solution let alone the additional stress there would be on the servo.
Old May 21, 2009, 01:49 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgf323
I wouldn't bother with doing that. Poly tape and a strong S3102 servo works extremely well for me. I think the ease of doing it that way outways the added problems with trying to figure out a rubberband solution let alone the additional stress there would be on the servo.
I have to agree-Whilst mine has only flown a couple of times, moving the wings in flight, keeping them open etc, doesn't seem a problem? Anyway, after a short while the rubber band would lose its elasticity/rot and snap- Whilst I see where you are coming from, as per above, I wouldn't bother. If built to the plans you should be fine.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old May 21, 2009, 05:02 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,548 Posts
I've often though of using "Gearing" to Sync the wings.
I have a design for a B1 that was going to work that way.
The F-14 is just a little "tight" to rearrange things.

Here's a pic of the general idea.

It'd be fairly easy to implement and cut with my CNC.