HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2009, 10:12 PM
United States, LA, Blanchard
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
cnc

i'm really looking forward to getting it done..i have all the programs..and have been cutting planes in cyber space on Mach3.. getting good with TurboCad..and AutoCad 12..Adobe Illustrator..Lazy Cam..Corel Draw 10..been teaching myself about converting my PDF plans to g code..already have a bunch of my flying buddys waitting for me to finish it.LOL..and you know what they want..
randynsaudi is offline Find More Posts by randynsaudi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2009, 10:40 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,563 Posts
Whaaat ?
Don't tell me they are too cheap to get one from me ?

Not to worry, no offense taken :-)

BTW I just use Rhino. My CNC Sw converts from DXF to what ever it needs.

I've played with tons of that kinda stuff. I spoz ya just have to ,
until you've settled on what you need and want.

I only do 3D grudgingly as it takes too much time - both design and cutting time !

I do use it in designing for my new planes and parts creation.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old May 05, 2009, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
cnc

The one thing i'm still working on is a good way to hold the foam down...looking to build a vac table useing a couple of layers of peg board for the top something that is easy and cheap to replace as it gets scared by the cutting tool. a good shop vac should fine..still checking the cnc groups and internet on ideas on vac tables..but one out of 2 X 4 and pegboard top would be fine
Old May 05, 2009, 02:36 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,563 Posts
I use a piece of Foam to protect my vac-table.
I did a "Hole Cutting" routine to cut holes in the foam.
Then when that eventually gets chewed up I simply make another.

Seems like I eventually screw up something and OVER PLunge
which tends to tear up the vac-table top. But I've NOT totally ruined it yet.

I made the vac-box out of relatively cheap 1/4" Sintra plastic sheet
with a 2" Blue Foam interior. I routed out Channels in the Foam block
then used the block to glue to Sintra sides and top together.
Sintra is PVC so Pipe glue work on it nicely :-)
I made a vac attachment by heating the sintra with my heat gun and bending
then glue it to the Box side .
Ply would work, but it's more porous/leaky !
I use my ShopVac - which is all I need to cut foam !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old May 07, 2009, 10:33 AM
new pilot - micro addict
Singapore
Joined Jul 2007
246 Posts
Subscrible...
UH -1H is offline Find More Posts by UH -1H
Old May 07, 2009, 05:20 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
WOOOOOOOO!

My 20 oz F-14 will now open and close during flight, at any speed, without unloading the wings!

I added Poly tape from Ace/Westlakes Hardware to the fuse, top-deck, top of wings, bottom of wings. I'm also using a Futaba S3102 @6v w/ UBEC giving me 64 oz of torque.

I've got my DX6 setup with 4 positions for the swing wing. The wing is on the gear channel and is set to 10% movement. I then used one of the mixes to mix Flaps to Gear so that when I flip that switch it adds 125% of movement which gets me to my maximum wing span.

So, by having the gear on only I have one position. Having the flaps on only I get a slightly wider span, having both on I get full span, and both closed is full sweep.

I also have a slight drag on the left side while the wings are open. To compensate for that I added a mix of Gear to Aileron so that I can trim it specifically for that position. I then trimmed it out with the wings swept and balanced these two settings so that I had a straight flying plane at both open and closed.
sgf323 is offline Find More Posts by sgf323
Old May 07, 2009, 05:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
Oh, and does anyone have any comments on adding a rudder?
Old May 07, 2009, 06:26 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgf323
WOOOOOOOO!

My 20 oz F-14 will now open and close during flight, at any speed, without unloading the wings!

I added Poly tape from Ace/Westlakes Hardware to the fuse, top-deck, top of wings, bottom of wings. I'm also using a Futaba S3102 @6v w/ UBEC giving me 64 oz of torque.

I've got my DX6 setup with 4 positions for the swing wing. The wing is on the gear channel and is set to 10% movement. I then used one of the mixes to mix Flaps to Gear so that when I flip that switch it adds 125% of movement which gets me to my maximum wing span.

So, by having the gear on only I have one position. Having the flaps on only I get a slightly wider span, having both on I get full span, and both closed is full sweep.

I also have a slight drag on the left side while the wings are open. To compensate for that I added a mix of Gear to Aileron so that I can trim it specifically for that position. I then trimmed it out with the wings swept and balanced these two settings so that I had a straight flying plane at both open and closed.
Sounds great!

Any chance of some pics or a video?

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old May 07, 2009, 06:34 PM
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
rudder

Now that you got the little one in shape..cut you a 125% or 150% .. you will really love it...i have throught about rudders, but even the 58" one flys great with out them..
Old May 07, 2009, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
G550Ted - I'll get some video soon I hope. I'm sgf323 on YouTube as well and you can see some videos of my flying there if you are interested. I'll have to talk my wife into coming to the park with me soon.

randynsaudi - My main reason for the rudder would be to trim the wing drag out a bit better than what the aileron trim does.

I suppose it wouldn't take much time at all to add rudders...
Old May 07, 2009, 07:37 PM
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
drag

So just to make sure i have this right.. you'rl thinking about rudders to create drag to cancle out drag???
Old May 07, 2009, 07:42 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
I suppose that is what it amounts to. The plane rolls to the left because the wings are slightly off when fully extended. I put it together exactly as it was cut out but when I put in the wing pivot circles it looked to me like one was slightly different than the other. I'm guessing maybe the CNC router was a bit off? Or I could have drilled something slightly off...

When I got the wings put together I noticed one didn't open as far no matter what I tried (longer, shorter rods, etc) To compensate, I made a new servo arm piece and added a few holes on one side so I could adjust the distance from the center of the servo to affect the final position of the wing in relation to the other.

Aside from working more on getting the wings to match I was thinking that adding some rudder, rather than aileron, to trim it out.

Or, do you have a better suggestion or any hints for getting the wings to even up?
Last edited by sgf323; May 07, 2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old May 07, 2009, 08:37 PM
fly it crash it fix it
Joined Feb 2009
169 Posts
Wow that thing is awesome its definatley on my build list All I can say is thank you.
flyn_brian is offline Find More Posts by flyn_brian
Old May 07, 2009, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
wings

First off please don't think i was bashing your build..i myself ran into the same thing on the 2nd build of the stock size..lucky i did'nt have the top plate glued on yet just a couple of small temp plates with hot glue.what i did was on the linkages i played with the V bend intill they sweeped even as i did have one pivot circle out by like only 4 mm.. on #4 the same thing happened and i cut out a hatch out of the top to were i could adjust the V rods intill i got the wings to sweep even..so i feel your pain..lucky i have a DX6 and found i could fine tune the servo so it would turn less one way than it did the other way...the others builds i made sure the 2 holes were even frome the edge and front and back. not to tell you how to deal with the uneven sweep , if you made the rods as per plans with the V, i would cut out a hatch to reach the rods and play with the V bends. if you go back to the post of my 58" one you will see thats what i did. the plus is , if you had to service or replace the servo you don't have to rip the plane apart. or you could use a heat gun and put a small warp on the wing tip to counter the roll. just my ideas. I get home from Saudi Arabia next week and looking forward to building another one doing the 125% one this time, have a JustGoFly 550th i'm dieing to try.hard not to get hooked on this bird. Just did'nt want you to think i was bashing your build..

Randy
Old May 07, 2009, 10:32 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
No, I know you weren't bashing the build. But, you're right, it would be strange to add drag to counter-act drag!

As far as the V-bend goes, do you mean you used the V-bend to make it so that rod was no longer straight?

I have the V-bend in mine but I used it to lengthen/shorten the rod as I tested but each time bent it back so it was still straight, just a tighter or looser V. I haven't tried it with an actual bend rod at the V-position. Let me know if that is what you mean to try.

I've got a hatch on my top so I can make any adjustments I need fairly easily. I can fully remove the rods if I need to as well without pulling anything apart.