Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:51 PM
United States, LA, Blanchard
Joined Jan 2006
782 Posts
top plate

the first one i did i used 2 tube side to side, but it's over kill.. # 2 & 3 i just used 1 side to side and glassed with the 1/2 oz and thin CA..all 6 of mine was in the 19 to 24 oz range , but all way over powered and carrying eather a 2100 3 cell or a couple a 4 cell...the last small one # 6 i did.. i just glassed the top plate both sides and worked out just as good..and 1 tube in the one peice wing with just the bottom of the wing glassed.. i have build one as per plan and it flew just great. i just wanted to find the speed of foam..oncethat it would come apart.LOL.. i have found that the 20 oz ones would fly much nicer in the wind that seems to be always blowing at my feild..once you build a couple it's scary how fast you can get one flying..takes me longer to paint and detail than to build..seems the guys want to buy mine. so i strip everything but the servos and build me another one.lol
randynsaudi is offline Find More Posts by randynsaudi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2009, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
Is it ok to put a spacer where the top deck glues down to the rear piece that goes between the wings in the swept position?

When I hand hold the top deck over the wings and press on the disc positions it opens/closes with no resistance. If I hold down the very back edge of the upper deck too then it has resistance. I'd like to put a small 1mm spacer on that back portion to keep the rear of the top deck up high enough that it doesn't have resistance with the wings while sweeping.

Is it supposed to have more resistance with the back portion glued down tight or is the spacer a good idea?
sgf323 is offline Find More Posts by sgf323
Old May 02, 2009, 06:04 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgf323
Is it ok to put a spacer where the top deck glues down to the rear piece that goes between the wings in the swept position?

When I hand hold the top deck over the wings and press on the disc positions it opens/closes with no resistance. If I hold down the very back edge of the upper deck too then it has resistance. I'd like to put a small 1mm spacer on that back portion to keep the rear of the top deck up high enough that it doesn't have resistance with the wings while sweeping.

Is it supposed to have more resistance with the back portion glued down tight or is the spacer a good idea?
I had the same problem. The rear deck is just a little thinner than the wings and sealing the top cover prevents sweep with an HS65. I had to rip the cover off. I didn't use kicker right away so it mostly separated at the glue joint and I was able to sand the cover a little and get sweep. I've had nothing but problems with my wings due to builder error. I've glued the wings shut, stripped the swing servo and had to open the top cover twice, but now I have perfect operation and can finish up the build.

I have to say not only is this by far the coolest flat foamy out there but it's a joy to build (despite my errors). I'll have to order a gray one and build it perfectly next time. Thanks for a cool design maybz.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old May 02, 2009, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
So then did you just sand the underside of the upper deck cover, while leaving the rear portion the same so there was more clearance?

I think I may do that along with adding the rib spars across the top for more strength.

It would have been nice if the kit came with the ribs and the 1mm spacers though.
Old May 02, 2009, 09:18 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgf323
So then did you just sand the underside of the upper deck cover, while leaving the rear portion the same so there was more clearance?

I think I may do that along with adding the rib spars across the top for more strength.

It would have been nice if the kit came with the ribs and the 1mm spacers though.
Yes, I sanded the underside of the top plate a little leaving the attachment point alone. I haven't added my rib spars yet.

I agree on the spacers. I tried sanding 3mm disks down to 1mm spacers and got it wrong. That led to the first opening of the top. I ended up using some thin plywood. my gap is a little bigger than I would like and my wings have a little play. This build was a learning experience.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old May 02, 2009, 11:34 PM
hobby-asia.com
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
466 Posts
mine still reluctant to open in flight.
uniquexme is offline Find More Posts by uniquexme
Old May 02, 2009, 11:51 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
I used some thin plywood too. I also ended up slightly sanding the trailing edge of the wing area that goes under the top deck and now it opens very smoothly with it all glued down.
Old May 03, 2009, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
I just sorta finished my maiden flight. The ESC cut out during the 1st minute. This plane floats really well and I saved it. Landed with absolutely no damage. Now to cut the bottom open and replace the burnt smelling electronics. I love the QA in this industry!
Old May 03, 2009, 04:50 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
After having (2) 40 amp ESC's fry on me on both of the first flights I pulled a 40 amp Eflite from another plane and it flew!

I configured my DX6 to open the wings to 3 positions by using the Flap and Gear switch. I set the gear to open it all small amount then mixed flap to gear for the rest of the way. In flight the wings wouldn't open unless I stalled the plane!

I've got my batteries charging again and I'm going to try just a single switch for open and close and see what happens.

I popped the rear portion of the upper deck up and glued it slightly higher against the rear deck since that was an issue during the build. That helped out slightly on the last flight but it still wouldn't fully open.

Does anyone else have any tips to get the wings to swing fully without stalling?!? I'm using the Corona 929MG servo.
Old May 03, 2009, 07:07 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
Who here is flying a regular size F-14 at around 20oz?

My AUW is right around 19.5oz. My wings have difficulty opening under any speed. They have some difficulty closing as well.

What I've found is that by doing a loop or a stall I can effectively remove most of the wing loading from the plane and by doing that I can open/close the wing while the wing loading is less.

Has anyone else with heavies found that to be true and does anyone have any suggestions for making it work better without having to do those maneuvers?
Old May 03, 2009, 07:23 PM
hobby-asia.com
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
466 Posts
i found the same, when i close the wing in flight, i have to make a roll, then it close, but it wouldn't open anymore in flight.
uniquexme is offline Find More Posts by uniquexme
Old May 03, 2009, 08:33 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
I talked with Scott Lott from RC Powers and he recommended a full-size servo (or using 2 which I don't want to try in this plane).

It just so happens that last year a neighbor gave me some things a friend sent him and in the box are two Hitec HS-300's! They are 3.7kg vs the 2.2kg 929DG's.

I'm going to pop the top to do some modifications and while I'm at it I think I'll put in the big guy.
Old May 03, 2009, 08:45 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,381 Posts
A Hitec Hs-81 or 85 mg works great. I'm using the 81 with no problems.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old May 03, 2009, 08:51 PM
Joined Sep 2007
95 Posts
3DMON, what is your AUW? The 81 and 85 would be closer to the HS-300 torque and would be much easier to put in. I may have to head to the LHS tomorrow to pick one up.
Old May 03, 2009, 08:56 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,381 Posts
Mine with battery wieghs 16.5 oz's. Mine is also a full fuse not a profile.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON