SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:01 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,550 Posts
Thats BirdofPLAY
as in play on words or just wanna PLAY :-)))

Yup yup yup I have three White parts sets ready but
I also have Black material ready to cut also.

Just a note: I'll be touring down the Oregon coast starting Mar 26 for about a week.

Whale watching and Slope Soaring whenever possible !

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:13 PM
Balzi
longview/Kelso
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
maiden flight

took her out for a maiden flight. It was pretty windy but everything went well. My buddy thought I should have some low rates set up but I assured him that my other foam prop jey needed all the throw I could give her . I was wrong she rotated straight up in a heart beat . I went vertical til i got to 3 mistake altitude . leveled off and gave a couple of bumps of trim. that was it I tore it up after that . awesome plane thank you maybz.
Gerald Allen is offline Find More Posts by Gerald Allen
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:38 PM
Balzi
longview/Kelso
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
thank you too birdo I hope to visit soon
Gerald Allen is offline Find More Posts by Gerald Allen
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:06 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,174 Posts
Question about the swing servo. Where does it sit? Where are the tabs? Is it inserted from the top and screwed in or are the tabs sandwiched in the foam. Does it matter that much the height of the servo horn? Thanks!
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:07 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,550 Posts
Thanks Gerald !

I'm back now after a long drive down the Oregon Coast line.
The Best place to fly slope that I discovered is WELL KNOW to
serious slpoers. IT's Cape Blanco near Port Orford.
I flew there a three separate days with winds alternating each day.
The 1st day I measured 31 MPH peak.

Cape Blanco offers a Dynamic Soaring opportunity that is amazing to watch
and more amazing to DO !!!
Old Apr 03, 2009, 12:31 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
Question about the swing servo. Where does it sit? Where are the tabs? Is it inserted from the top and screwed in or are the tabs sandwiched in the foam. Does it matter that much the height of the servo horn? Thanks!
I just followed the excellent build pics at the start of this thread and it all worked out amazingly well, first time I have tried something like this (Swing wing)-Great design concept.-Follow the thread and you won't go wrong.
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:32 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,550 Posts
IH8VTEC
The servo installation pix start around this location.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103

hope that helps.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:38 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriceye
I just followed the excellent build pics at the start of this thread and it all worked out amazingly well, first time I have tried something like this (Swing wing)-Great design concept.-Follow the thread and you won't go wrong.
Well, that is where I'm at now. Nice pictorial build thread and very precise fitting parts make this mostly a joy to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
IH8VTEC
The servo installation pix start around this location.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103

hope that helps.
That first pic looks like the servo tabs get sandwiched between the servo mount and top deck. Looking at some other pictures down the line it appears the servo tabs sit on the deck of the body underneath the cutout judging by how far the servo protrudes. I notched the servo mount slightly to get the tabs to sink in and let the servo mount sit flush against the underside of the deck yet still hold the servo secure. I thought about jut inserting the servo from the top and making it removable but I don't think the HS 65 will wear out before the plane.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Last edited by IH8VTEC; Apr 03, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 06:14 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Has anyone tried to make self-adhering decals (stickers) by printing on 3 mil cold laminating sheets with an inkjet printer? I tried a search in the Painting and Finishing thread, but didn't see anything.

Thanx,

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:45 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
I doubt inkjet ink would adhere to laminate.
GotrekGurnisson is offline Find More Posts by GotrekGurnisson
Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:39 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,381 Posts
Avery makes some label material you can get at office depot that works well. I don't know what it is exactly but it comes in a standard paper size. A friend of mine used it recently and it came out great. He did find he had to spray it with a sealer afterwards though.
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:21 AM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
Has anyone tried to make self-adhering decals (stickers) by printing on 3 mil cold laminating sheets with an inkjet printer? I tried a search in the Painting and Finishing thread, but didn't see anything.

Thanx,

Ted
The laminate sheets smear, the ink won't dry on it. Here is a place that sells something that should work but it's a little pricey. About $15 for 10 sheets 8.5x11 sheets. http://www.texascraft.com/hps/produc...&cat=283&page=
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Thanx to all for the replies and suggestions.

I think I will try to find some Avery labels in clear and white for inkjet printers and see how they work. I bought an aerosol can of clear acrylic sealing spray at Wally world the other day that should help protect the results.

I'll post when I have some results.

Happy Easter,

Ted
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:20 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Sticker Solution

I think I've found a practical solution for making self-adhesive stickers on both clear and white media.

I bought Avery 8 1/2 x 11" labels, #8665 clear and #8165 white for inkjet printers. After printing the desired graphics, I coated them with Plaid brand clear acrylic sealer (gloss) whick I found at Wal-Mart. One light coat followed by a heavier coat, and the printing did not run or smear. In addition, as the "clear" labels are really a matte finish, the gloss sealer helped make them more clear.

I applied them to both painted and unpainted depron, and so far they look like they will stay put. Time will tell on this issue. I suppose if you fly in the Mojave desert in July you could also seal them on the model with WBPU or the like to insure they don't peel.

At about $23 for 25 sheets of clear, and $13 for 25 sheets of white available at your local Staples (and other office supply stores), this is a reasonable alternative to water slide decals in terms of both cost and availability.

HTH,

Ted
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:27 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
I suppose if you fly in the Mojave desert in July you could also seal them on the model with WBPU or the like to insure they don't peel.
Hey I resemble that remark LOL
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis