Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 08, 2007, 01:32 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Discussion
Build-off / log for the Kit-Plans Funbuild.. Vintage Aero Fokker DVIII

I've decided to start off this unofficial Build-Off with an old kit I've had for ages. It's a Vintage Aero reproduction of a Continental Models Fokker DVIII, at about 26.5" WS. I guess that this makes this a Walnut scale class FF model??

It's a fairly simple, printwood, rubber powered FF kit from the 70's. I suspect that it's scale outlines and such are a bit suspect, which explains why I found it for $0.75 at a swap meet many years back. For one thing there's no indication on the plans on what shape the engine cowl is, the elevator surface seems a bit too large, and the gradual camber taper of the DVIII wing is not really well done.

But it's got potential and it is built light enough to be a decent model for an IPS drive on a 2S lipoly pack. I don't think I'd try to power this with anything more potent and it's not really got enough wing area for more than 3 channels, RET.

I spent a couple pleasant hours slowly coaxing the formers and ribs from the nearly decent 1/16" printed sheets of this kit last night. The wing is a bit scant in rib count and I'm tempted to make some ribs up to round out the wing a bit. Since it will be covered in Doculam I think I owe it some extra work to pretty up the wings a bit. The stb/elevator will need some additional stripwood to make usable for RC, and I may end up redrawing the whole assembly to a more scale like shape. Maybe this seems like more work than this kit warrants, I'm happy getting it somewhat more scale for a little extra effort.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Nov 16, 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: fixin' a fraction
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2007, 04:53 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Images of the plans, not exactly real complex as other kits. As such the wood selection is much better than any Comet or Guillows kit from this era. So someone must have had a clue about the quality of the wood.
Old Nov 08, 2007, 05:14 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Looooeeee!

Congrats on starting this one off for us "less talented". Looks like a great little kit ( and good price too ) I'll have to pour over my kitlist to find something in a similiar category( printwood & maybe IPS powered ) !

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Nov 08, 2007, 05:14 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,865 Posts
Alright!

Looee,

Way to go - get this thing started. Maybe it'll kick me to get one of my kits down and start it..

I am having a hard time getting motivated to even getting my ARF RV-7 Gas/electric conversion going...never enough time anymore
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:52 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,732 Posts
Me Too.

I'm well along on my Berkeley Aeronca Sedan, see build thread.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:17 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I'm well along on my Berkeley Aeronca Sedan, see build thread.
E ,
I wasn't sure if that was your entry We got 4 entries and possibly 1 more coming that I know of
-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Nov 11, 2007, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,732 Posts
The "Funcontest" Is Off and Running

We should call this the "funcontest", since there is no sponsor, rules or timetable. Naturally we will show pics of finished birds and, hopefully, the maiden flight. We can congratulate each other and accept the praise of fellow E-Zoners. The new models/old favorites will be reward enough.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Wow, this idea has caught some enthusiasm, good to see all of the builds start. I'd like to see this be as eclectic as possible, you want to scale up a P-nut scale build into a super coconut scale RC bird, it's all open.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:40 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
One thing I'm going to try to rectify in this build is to be a bit more thorough in pictures and my building techniques. I have this rather breezy building style that sometimes leaps over many fine skill points I've used in some of my previous builds.

Especially if we're going to have some newer builders following these threads, I'd think it behooves us, (actually I'm speaking for myself..) to try and share, and explain skills that we may look easy. Because we're experienced builders.

I don't mean to be pretentious either, these are things all builders can learn from, and I'm learning too.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 01:03 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I thought I'd point out a little trick I taught myself. If you noticed in my first image, the sandwich baggy with the cut formers, ribs, and other parts? It's my solution for keeping things a bit more organized, as I'm pretty disorganized, most other times. This wrinkle has saved a model, as I kept the extra parts from previous builds in marked Ziplok baggies.

My 34" Brisfit parts baggy had saved the main rib master, a sturdy bit of CA toughened 3/32" "ironwood" balsa which I use to trace around directly with a Xacto #11 to form ribs. This "master rib" is the basic shape of most of the ribs in my Brissy, minus some extraneous slots and reduced sections for sheeting and such. It covers nearly all of the ribs needed, and can be used for sub ribs with a little bit of razor sawing on the chosen piece. I also like using a master rib when I can as it's a bit more efficient with balsa use than direct printing out, as you can use odd bits of leftover sheeting and selectively choose some decent heavier wood for ribs used for interplane struts and other hard points. We all know that balsa sheeting can sometimes be a crapshoot for density, even in a fairly even grained sheet.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:24 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Some more build piccies, and some of my building techniques..

This model is a pretty simple stick build, granted it's also not the world's best model for true scale outlines for a Fokker DVIII, but we're going to help it a little.

My first image is the start of the fuse sides being built. I have this thing about getting the wood to match the stress of the structure in a model, and it this case I almost always try to make the longerons from the stiffer sticks I've got. Even if it means cutting these myself. If you wanna go complete ape-poopy anal, you can balance the longeron strip wood so as to have a slightly heavier front end.

I also make my first upright from rectangular strip wood, in this case it's 3/32"X3/16". It helps with impact stresses without having to go to sheeting, I also like adding trussing diagonals for the forward half. I used to laminate C/F rod strips to my forward longerons, it does make for a stiff front end but when I crashed my SE5 last spring, the longerons all broke anyways.

While the sides are being built it's a good idea to size up your servo and motor mounts, and room for the battery. I'm considering making this an B2c LPS drive powered model, it could end up weighing around 4~5 oz. AUW which would be ideal for the smaller drive. But there's also room for the IPS drive.

Making the curved out lines of the tails surfaces:

A small picture how-to on using heat and water to form balsa strips for laminated curved outlines. The trick here is to use a 40 watt iron and dampened soft balsa to steam to curve in so you don't have to resort to wet pulling around a form to make a laminated outline. The rudder outline on this model is wrong. It's much too narrow chordwise, and needs some widening anyways.

I make up the inner framing first and then approximate the outside shape with a slight pulling and lifting of the damp balsa while stroking the iron over the wood. You shouldn't need to use much force from the iron, let the heat do the work. The balsa will steam while you pull it through, a couple of passes with the iron and go to the next section.

I'm doing two layers, and it's always easier to curve the inner laminate a bit more than the outside piece. Aliphatic glue can be used for the laminating Ailene"s Tacky glue is a good choice, although after heat forming the wood is usually dry enough to use CA.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:49 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,865 Posts
Hmmm, heat forming.... well, I just learned something new I'll have to try that out. Thanks for the tip and your project is looking good!
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Nov 16, 2007, 04:45 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
....Just edited my title at Jofrost's request. Kit/plans Funbuild...
Old Nov 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Nice one Looooeeee, Great tips..........one learns alot in these build threads.......

Thanks
Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Dec 06, 2007, 08:28 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,229 Posts
Were you blown or washed away?

Hey, Looooeeee, are you still with us? I know power's been out, as have the roads, on much of the coast, so if you can read this let us know!
GeoffinIN is online now Find More Posts by GeoffinIN