HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2001, 10:33 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
R/C & Sunglasses

Folks,
With the brightening sun I am having problems seeing my plane again (same as last summer).
I know I need sunglasses but decided to wait to see if we would stick with R/C before going for some good glasses.

So, What do you'll recommend for sunglasses for 2 prescription glasses wearers (one 40+, one 9+) for R/C flying?

Thanks in advance,
Bernard

bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2001, 11:48 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Hi,
I have found that the amber lenses greatly enhance the visibilty ( they cut out the haze we normally see in the bright light)

If you tell your optician what you are doing, they will probably be able to set you up with just the right thing.

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old May 29, 2001, 01:06 AM
EB NM
Joined May 2000
234 Posts
I would check with the optician to see if he could tint like Ray-Ban does for "Shooting" glasses. These are tinted darker at the top and bottom, with the center lighter. They cut the glare from above as well as ground or water reflections. I used them for many years until I sat on them. They are great.

Tom
redbaron is offline Find More Posts by redbaron
Old May 29, 2001, 01:17 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
992 Posts
I use special distance enhance flying and driving prescription lenses with the 'blu-blocker amber tint. This increases depth perception but changes almost all colors. Has anyone tried the lenses with a combination 3 color tints that give true color and the depth? They are called either Eagle eyes or Tiger eyes in different magazines.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old May 29, 2001, 04:47 AM
Joined Mar 2001
47 Posts
The best solution I have found is to use ski goggles. I don't wear glasses, but I imagine they would fit over regular glasses. One benefit is that you can get lenses in amber, yellow, dark tint, clear.
Another benefit is that they block all wind and airborne stuff(pollen, etc) from being blown in your eyes.
jtthebiggafigga is offline Find More Posts by jtthebiggafigga
Old May 29, 2001, 06:58 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,920 Posts
Before I needed prescription specs, I always used photochromic sunglasses. However, when I then found I required prescription lenses, I made the mistake of getting varifocal lenses - a sort of smoothed out bifocal lens. I found these OK for distance seeing, eg driving and R/C flying, but a pain when watching TV as the "reading" part of the lens kept getting in the way.

Furthermore, I couldn't wear clip-on sunglases for fear of scratching the prescription plastic lenses.

However, recently I replaced the varifocals with 2 separate pairs of specs, each with single-vision lenses, one pair for reading and close-up work, the other for distance.

I had the distance pair made up with photochromic lenses (ie those that darken in sunlight) and so far they've proved to be the bee's knees for R/C-ing, driving, shopping, in fact everything. I love 'em!

Cheers

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old May 29, 2001, 07:15 AM
Okemos, Michigan
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
Hey,

Well if you can't see well in the sun, how about those "nuclear blast shield" style sunglasses. They fit over your normal glasses, cost about $8, and they have nice side shields to keep infiltration down.

Just a thought. They look dorky, but they really really work. I think you can find them at Walmart vision center. (Or in sporting goods.)

Crete1 is offline Find More Posts by Crete1
Old May 29, 2001, 07:23 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
Gordon you're on the same track as me except that I have a set of varifocals for normal life and a set of 'long distance' prescription sunglasses for flying.
I absolutely could not fly wearing the varifocals !
It doesn't matter how fancy a transmitter or model you have if you can't see the damned thing !
Plus I always fly wearing a hat with a brim so I can pull it down to shield my eyes from the sun.

ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old May 29, 2001, 07:38 AM
Madison Ms. USA
Joined Jan 2000
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW:
Hi,
I have found that the amber lenses greatly enhance the visibilty ( they cut out the haze we normally see in the bright light)

If you tell your optician what you are doing, they will probably be able to set you up with just the right thing.

Dave
I don't know how good these are, but I plan to order a pair today. I wear glasses and have tried a lot of prescription sunglasses and was never satisfied.
The one I'm talking about are called "Fitovers" polarized sunglasses. They come in amber and gray and have adjustable templates and full frame. The ad claims great for flying and boating. I saw the ad in Flying Models mag.it's for RC International Enterprises in NJ phone 937-376-6258.
Sligh

Sligh is offline Find More Posts by Sligh
Old May 29, 2001, 10:41 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Old Army trick, when you acidenty fly too close to the sun, close one eye. That way you are only blinded in one eye.
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old May 29, 2001, 05:13 PM
Quebec, QC, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bjsiegel@texas.net:
So, What do you'll recommend for sunglasses for 2 prescription glasses wearers (one 40+, one 9+) for R/C flying?
If you don't mind the looks, the Zurich glasses, worn over your prescription glasses are downright super. They not only block the sun where you're looking but from the sides as well. There are lots of $10 pseudo-Zurichs around; they don't work at all but the coatings on the Zurichs are really nice.

Unfortunately, they won't win any fashion contests but your eyes will be less tired at the end of a flying day.

Cheers --- Larry
Larry Marshall is offline Find More Posts by Larry Marshall
Old May 29, 2001, 05:41 PM
jsc
Where does it all end?
Boise/Nampa Idaho
Joined May 2000
592 Posts
Ok this is the best tint on sunglasses ever invented. It is called "g-15", the military uses it for their pilots and we all know they spent a bundle developing it. It is a greenish-grey tint, I got some the beginning of the year and they are GREAT.
Jeff
jsc is offline Find More Posts by jsc
Old May 29, 2001, 06:18 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
What I use fit my usage the best, Polarized with lite Brown tint. The polarized lens cuts glare and brigthen the object, like the yellow shooting glass, but the brown tint does not change the color.

Brian
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old May 29, 2001, 06:40 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
I use the Zurich sunglasses gray tint with teal mirror. Love them. Go to this site for more info:
http://www.zurichsunglasses.com

A little pricey though.
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old May 30, 2001, 08:00 PM
El Dorado Hills, California, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2000
548 Posts
The Best Kind of sunglasses to get is the color enhancing lens, most all sun glasseses
have better than 95% UV blocking.

To test UV blocking you should be able to read the letters off the top of the 100w light bulb(While the bulb is on!!)

For contrast.... This is where most sunglasses fail. You want glasses that enhance the colors(so you see a bold image in the sky, not get washed-out...) The best sunglases I have found are in the UVEX family of safety glasses(Note now in the Safety Business there are some very sporty glasses) the lens is a " SCT Gray lens " (this lens does not look gray, it is dark brown). This glasses are color enhancing.
My company sells tons of these, but you can get them at any safety supply in your area(providing that they are a UVEX safety distributor) they sell for under $10 USD.
Hope this helps

MAVA is offline Find More Posts by MAVA