HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:03 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,297 Posts
Discussion
Noob Lipo Charging questions!

I have a cheap lipo charger like this: https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2055 , a 2S 850 mAh lipo and a 3S 860 mAh lipo.

I usually charge the batteries at .5 amp and it seems to take forever. The last time I charged the 3S 860 it took about 3 hours. Does that seem to be reasonable? I hear about charging at the field, but 3 hours is a long time between flights unless you had several chargers going at the same time.

I charge at the lowest rate as I have read that the battery will last longer if you charge it at a low rate. I did by mistake charge it at 1 amp and it was much quicker, but will that rate damage the battery?

Sorry for the beginner questions.

Thanks,
Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:22 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,844 Posts
Ray, it won't damage the pack but it can shorten it's life some. If you are new at this your packs will have a higher chance of termination due to crashing before you surpass 100+ cycles.
The math on the time is correct. I would expect a bit under 3 hours at .5 but the charger may be off some and actually be charging at .4, not .5.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Nov 08, 2007, 11:40 AM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,297 Posts
Rick, thanks for the quick answer!
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'