HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2007, 06:05 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,019 Posts
New Product
Aluminum Alfa Fan Rotor Plug for 3 and 5 blade Alfa Fans

Good news for all you Alfa EDF users. I have a large batch of precision CNC machined aluminum plugs for the Alfa 3 and 5 blade rotors. The bore is reamed for very tight tolerance which gives a no slop slip fit on 3mm shafts. This adapter is meant to secured by a small drop of green Loctite (or equivalent). A press fit was not used do the possibility of bending the motor shaft during installation. To remove the loctited plug off the shaft, all you need to do is thread in a longer 3mm screw while holding the shaft to keep it from rotating. The plug will come right off.

http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=51

TIP: Before installing, rinse the shaft end and plug off with some alcohol to remove any oils or grease. Place a drop of green loctite on the shaft end, and then push the plug on. Wipe away any excess Loctite, then place under a desktop lamp to warm it up a little, it will help cure the Loctite much faster.

Includes 3mm fan screw.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Nov 06, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2007, 10:31 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Nice. I have a friend also with the alfa fan and we will probably order a couple. I'll need to speak to him about it, so give me a couple days.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 06, 2007, 10:34 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,019 Posts
No problem. I have 500 of them
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2007, 05:36 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,076 Posts
The best way ?

I would clean with Alcohol and then take a tooth pick, put a drop of Locktight on it. Then slide the tooth pick into the rotor hole, ONLY. Wipe any excess Locktite off the hub hole area. This will coat the shaft of the motor very well. There is no possibility that the Locktite can be scrapped up on the shaft as it slides into the rotor hole. If loctite does build up on the shaft, the danger of Locktite going into the front bearing is very high.

Always put any glues into the holes, never on the shaft.

I know this first hand.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Nov 08, 2007, 12:43 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
One thing I've found that helps increse grip with gears (or hubs in this case) is to file a few marks on the shaft, where the Loctite and gear will be assembled together. Don't marr the heck out of the shaft as its not necessary, but just file a few marks with the edge of a file.
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert