HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2007, 10:27 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Question
Does "stable" always mean slow? Reccomendation for fast/docile planes?

The two planes in my hangar that are getting the most attention and flight time right now are my heavily modded Hobbyzone Supercub and my new Venom Parkfighter P-51.

It leaves me wanting something in between. A plane with gobs of speed like the Mustang but with the self correcting and forgiving nature of the Supercub.

I feel like flying the Mustang is a 7 minute wrestling match and I dread the landing the whole time... and flying the Supercub is a prelude to a nap! I love both planes but I want to both have cake and ingest it too!

Is this possible? What planes would you recommend?

How fast can you make a Multiplex Easystar go? What does it take?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
The two planes in my hangar that are getting the most attention and flight time right now are my heavily modded Hobbyzone Supercub and my new Venom Parkfighter P-51.

It leaves me wanting something in between. A plane with gobs of speed like the Mustang but with the self correcting and forgiving nature of the Supercub.

I feel like flying the Mustang is a 7 minute wrestling match and I dread the landing the whole time... and flying the Supercub is a prelude to a nap! I love both planes but I want to both have cake and ingest it too!

Is this possible? What planes would you recommend?

How fast can you make a Multiplex Easystar go? What does it take?
80 mph with an E-Flite Six Series 2700kV motor. Look for a forum member named joeknight... that's what he uses. I use the same motor only with a lower kV of 2000, which is STILL plenty enough power to make the Easy Star scream (for me, anyway).

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:24 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,546 Posts
Sounds like a Easy Glider to me. Nice and responcive, but easy going. Put in the power system that suits your needs.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:29 AM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,841 Posts
You might want to try an EPP flying wing. The Edge RC Overlord is quite stable, and, even with a brushed Speed 400 motor, is significantly faster the the Super Cub. It also has the advantage of not breaking if you have a less then perfect landing.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:46 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
80 mph with an E-Flite Six Series 2700kV motor. Look for a forum member named joeknight... that's what he uses. I use the same motor only with a lower kV of 2000, which is STILL plenty enough power to make the Easy Star scream (for me, anyway).

Chuck
heeyy.... cool! This is what I am looking for. I assume these are outrunners... do you fly on 3s? How many amps are you drawing? What kind of reinforcement have you done to yours? I will look up joeknight asap. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
Sounds like a Easy Glider to me. Nice and responcive, but easy going. Put in the power system that suits your needs.
I looked at the EzG... is nice and big and cool looking but IIRC, its not hands off like the Easy Star... not that I couldn't handle that but I am looking to fill a particular niche in my hangar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman
You might want to try an EPP flying wing. The Edge RC Overlord is quite stable, and, even with a brushed Speed 400 motor, is significantly faster the the Super Cub. It also has the advantage of not breaking if you have a less then perfect landing.
From what I know of wings, they don't generally right/self orient themselves, do they? Again, looking for something that will rip yet be a really pussy cat to fly...like the SC.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!. You're guys are great.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
heeyy.... cool! This is what I am looking for. I assume these are outrunners... do you fly on 3s? How many amps are you drawing? What kind of reinforcement have you done to yours? I will look up joeknight asap. Thanks!
I fly on 2s and 3s on my 2000kV Six Series. I sent Joe an e-mail for you... he'll tell you how to beef up the Easy Star if you want that kind of power that the 2700kV can give you...

Chuck
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:57 AM
Joined May 2002
1,841 Posts
No, the wings I referenced will not self right. What they will do is hold whatever attitude you put them in, i.e. if you start a gentle turn they will fly in circles until you tell them to do something else. They will also hold a straight and level flight path independently, unless the wind is very strong.

If you really want a hands off plane, the ES is probably a better choice. A stock ES with the brushed motor is slightly faster then a stock SC.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
I fly on 2s and 3s on my 2000kV Six Series. I sent Joe an e-mail for you... he'll tell you how to beef up the Easy Star if you want that kind of power that the 2700kV can give you...

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck! I am very interested in what he has to say.
I think this is the way I'm going to go. Do you have ailerons on yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRickman
No, the wings I referenced will not self right. What they will do is hold whatever attitude you put them in, i.e. if you start a gentle turn they will fly in circles until you tell them to do something else. They will also hold a straight and level flight path independently, unless the wind is very strong.

If you really want a hands off plane, the ES is probably a better choice. A stock ES with the brushed motor is slightly faster then a stock SC.
Well it sounds like they are a bit more forgiving than the Mustang... while it probably won't be my next plane, who sells the Edge RC Overlord? It sounds like a fun ship.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:12 PM
Joined May 2002
1,841 Posts
Overlord flying wing is here:

http://edgerc.com/overlord.htm
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
From what I have read time and time and time and time again the stryker is a stable, fast, forgiving plane that will slow down for a nice relaxed landing. You can buy a bare fuse for not many $$$ and fit your own brushless motor for a fast and stable plane, seems a good choice to me. I do have an unbuilt kit that also fits the bill but its out of production now, the mulitplex space scooter. With a decent brushless setup it should do 80mph but has self levelling ability and is pretty docile at low speeds, can't wait to kit mine out, hard to find now though.
GT5500 is offline Find More Posts by GT5500
Old Nov 06, 2007, 05:52 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
The overlord looks neat...I am going to bookmark that one.

I have considered the F27 Stryker...but in this case its not quite what I'm looking for. Like other wings, it doesn't seem to have the hands-off flight ability that I'm looking for. It does have a loyal following though and I don't doubt that its deserved...

The Space Scooter does look pretty darned great but you're right. It seems to be unavailable.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Easy* is looking like the winner.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 08:01 PM
Climb,turn,roll,loop,soar
Springfield,Ma. USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,608 Posts
Hi all;
this is the Eflite 6 2700Kv 400W
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM2005
And this is the ESc that goes with it
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLA312B
And a Evo lipo 2170 Mah 3S 25C Powering a Apc6X4E .
Static 34 Amp....22900 Rpm
The wings are reenforced withcarbon fiber strips 1/4"X.064" inserted into
and vertical to the wing CAed in.
The horizontal stab is also reenforced with carbon strip 1/8"x.033" inserted
and vertical to the stab surface.
The vertical stab is also reenforced with a carbon tube 1/8" Dia.
The tail boom is reenforced with a carbon tube 1/4" Dia from the CG point to
very end of the boom.
Joe
Joeknight is offline Find More Posts by Joeknight
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:13 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,723 Posts
I have EZ Star with 2000 KV E-flight six series - it might suit you. My Swift 2 wing from www.nesail.com is also surprisingly stable (and I'm not an expert flier by any means). It is a blast to fly, and is cheap. Get an Esskay 400XT when on sale at Hobby Lobby, or an equievalent $20 motor.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeknight
Hi all;
this is the Eflite 6 2700Kv 400W
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM2005
And this is the ESc that goes with it
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLA312B
And a Evo lipo 2170 Mah 3S 25C Powering a Apc6X4E .
Static 34 Amp....22900 Rpm
The wings are reenforced withcarbon fiber strips 1/4"X.064" inserted into
and vertical to the wing CAed in.
The horizontal stab is also reenforced with carbon strip 1/8"x.033" inserted
and vertical to the stab surface.
The vertical stab is also reenforced with a carbon tube 1/8" Dia.
The tail boom is reenforced with a carbon tube 1/4" Dia from the CG point to
very end of the boom.
Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks for coming through...

If that doesn't do it, nothing will. A stable plane that will definitely introduce some pucker factor.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:41 PM
Climb,turn,roll,loop,soar
Springfield,Ma. USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,608 Posts
Quote:
Hi Joe,

Thanks for coming through...

If that doesn't do it, nothing will. A stable plane that will definitely introduce some pucker factor.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Chuck your welcome...not only that EZ* gets up to 2500' in less that one
minute then you can shut the motor off and just soar
and thermal..LOL
I also have one with the Eflite 2000Kv 300W and that one I use Elite 1500
NiMh 2/3A 8cell packs and a Apc 7X5E cut down to a 6X5,this one I buit with very light reenforcements for light weight ,and I use it only to get high and seach for thermal (I don`t horse around with this one)
And another one with a Atlas 2308/26 out runner
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/atlas2308.htm with a Apc 7X5e cut down
to 6X5 this one I use only to fly very low 1' to 4' high (low)
Joe
Joeknight is offline Find More Posts by Joeknight
Last edited by Joeknight; Nov 06, 2007 at 09:48 PM.