Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:24 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
Slightly OT - but Mark may also have heard these recently.

The military often fly around here (North Herefordshire). Recently, I've heard jets go over that have a completely different sound. Either a new technology or some sort of baffling system. The noise is similar to the noise that central heating vents make when they first start up (I kind of reverb 'whoosh') but continous.

Unfortunately, I've yet to see what plane type these are, as I've yet to see one - they're passed over before I get out of the house. I don't think this is anyhting stealthy (in the audio sense) as you can hear the noise long after they've gone. Might be a heat signature thing?

Anyone heard anything ? These things must be landing somewhere

Adam
Hey Adam....

It could be the Eurofighter Typhoon. This has a strange sound to it which is nothing like our Tornado and Hawks. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner sucking in huge amounts of air mixed with the noise of jet thrust.

Just a thought.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2008, 03:05 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,901 Posts
That makes sense, as someone local mentioned that they saw two EF a few weeks back. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old May 05, 2008, 07:10 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Twin Boom Easystar Maiden Success

Well we had a a superb morning weather wise with blue skies and 3mph wind, so it was time. Unfortunately my cameraman (ruffy) was at work so I'll be videoing the next flight, may get that later.

She flew amazing

I took Mrs Jayne with me and the first words she said was "That looks great in the air". She launched easily (much easier than I thought she would) on half throttle, a little elevator up trim and she climbed away having the motor and 13" prop giving a superb P-38 sound. Flaps worked a treat although I had to apply them on final approach, she didn't like to turn too much when they were fully deployed, so I decided to land without them. Considering the 1740g AUW she floated in lovely (so much so I was shocked).

I didn't fly around for long, just did a few simple circuits, but she was a pleasure to fly, looked superb and had a sound which is probably the best in my fleet.

I have no doubt this is going to make a great AP plane, she's so stable and once I remove the dead weight from the nose she'll carry quite a heavy camera.

I'm hoping to get the video soon, very soon.

Mark
Last edited by MarkJayne; May 05, 2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old May 05, 2008, 07:49 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2007
334 Posts
Great flight report! Always great when a maiden goes off without a hitch, but even better when the maiden is pulled off BETTER than expected. Looking forward to the videos of future flights! -Bryan
elkman817 is offline Find More Posts by elkman817
Old May 05, 2008, 07:59 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,186 Posts
SWEET!!! Congratulations Mark! I look forward to seeing some footage of the next flights!

David
Hogster is online now Find More Posts by Hogster
Old May 05, 2008, 10:41 AM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,830 Posts
Well done Mark!

Will we see her in the flesh at this year's UKAP meet?

Looking forward to the video.

Cheers

Andrew
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old May 06, 2008, 05:56 AM
Flying Kiwi
Blue Mountains, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,271 Posts
Wow....I was just randomly logging in to check on your progress and here I see she was maidened only yesterday...I haven't been in this thread for months....I must have sensed the excitement.
Congrats...glad to hear she flew (and well). We are all waiting to see the video.
MNG (still grounded)
MisterNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by MisterNiceGuy
Old May 06, 2008, 09:34 AM
California
Joined Dec 2005
1,083 Posts
Congrats...
1toslope is offline Find More Posts by 1toslope
Old May 06, 2008, 11:55 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,776 Posts
How many planes you had to distroy to make this one?
Looks so cool.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old May 06, 2008, 04:17 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Twin Boom Easystar Video

Here's the vid of the Twin Boom EZ. I managed to get the second flight in before the weather took a turn for the worse. Just flew some simple circuits, rolls and loops will have to wait until I'm pretty much happy with everything.
Again she flew really well, I never used more than 50-60% throttle in the vid, the motor has some serious pushing power using the 13" prop on 3s. I ran it on my 3s 2500mah and had to add around 150g of dead weight in the nose to get the CG right, so she would fly with a good size lipo if needed. I never used the rudders or flaps in the vid, just ailerons and elevator.

Here's the 87Mb vid

Mark
Old May 06, 2008, 04:40 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,186 Posts
Cool video! I love the way you put your videos together - the composition of the initial shots, the music, and the HD-ness - very cool

Looks like it flies quite fast ... was that with the weight of a simulated camera?

Keep us posted how she flies with a camera on board! No inverted grass-cutting manoeuvres though!!!

David
Hogster is online now Find More Posts by Hogster
Old May 06, 2008, 04:42 PM
New Ulm,MN,USA
Joined Nov 2007
452 Posts
Great video Mark. Looks like it handles really well to. What kind of camera are
you going to try on it ? Looking forward to what you can get from it.
JimKallinen is offline Find More Posts by JimKallinen
Old May 06, 2008, 05:16 PM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
It really is a Rock Solid EZ* ......

very impressed ....

Would like to see some gliding and Stall tests on later flights ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old May 07, 2008, 02:44 AM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Cool video! I love the way you put your videos together - the composition of the initial shots, the music, and the HD-ness - very cool

Looks like it flies quite fast ... was that with the weight of a simulated camera?

Keep us posted how she flies with a camera on board! No inverted grass-cutting manoeuvres though!!!

David
Thanks guy's

Dave...

It will fly really slow if I knock the power down and even slower again when using the flaps. I had around 150g of weight added right up in the nose to get the CG correct. I would imagine that when using the 3s 2500mah lipo I could get away with a 250g camera easily as it'll be mounted a little further back. I could however use my 2s lipo's as this would generate plenty of power, as this is lighter again a heavier camera could be used. I would say this plane is suited for a camera of up to 300g in weight, although I have no doubt that it would carry a much heavier camera easily.

I need to do a few more tests, then I'll try her out with an AP/AV setup.

Mark
Old May 07, 2008, 09:01 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Well done Mark, she flies beautifully, with a good "scale" feeling. Looking forward to onboard footage.
matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!