HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:12 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,914 Posts
Hi Corsair lovers!

More done tonight, put the motor back in,reapinted the spinner and engine casing.

Still more to do.

blakevan, thanks- Tell you what, pay for me to come over, and I''l do yours for free

Crash Orange, I'm keeping those markings, but will cut more from white vinyl.

This is going to look very cool in flight

Brant, you are going to love yours, it is a sweet flyer.

Can anyone please weigh theirs without the battery, but with the prop and no gears on?
Am interested to see how much weight gain there is.... TIA!
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:13 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
Can you fit into a small Fed Ex box Matt?
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:58 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,077 Posts
WOW Matt!
Now that's what a corsair is supposed to look like!It just amazes me how a manufacturer can spend so much time to get the proportions correct on a warbird,but then totally barf up the colors and markings!! You have redeemed this corsair in my eyes.I may have to reconsider it.I am just concerned that it may be too much of a loafy flyer for me.I like performance!To put it another way,I don't want a corsair that flys like a cub.I may try this one anyway.
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:01 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003
WOW Matt!
Now that's what a corsair is supposed to look like!It just amazes me how a manufacturer can spend so much time to get the proportions correct on a warbird,but then totally barf up the colors and markings!! You have redeemed this corsair in my eyes.I may have to reconsider it.I am just concerned that it may be too much of a loafy flyer for me.I like performance!To put it another way,I don't want a corsair that flys like a cub.I may try this one anyway.

Cubs are harder to fly and faster,just to let you know.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Apr 11, 2008, 01:15 AM
Nut Tree CA.
Joined Nov 2005
261 Posts
Hey guys,
I just wanted to pass along this is one nice flying bird. I really enjoyed it tonight. We had one of those picture perfect evenings, the right temp, no wind and just super smooth air. I flew the Corsair several times and flew well past sunset.

The only issue I had is the gear mounts broke free from the bottom of the wing after multiple landings. I will re-glue them with some 5 minute epoxy and she will be ready once again for another day of flying.

I will plan on doing a repaint after this weekend and I will post the pics of my progress. I haven't decided on a scheme yet though. I like the look of Matt's, but I am thinking something different. Anybody care to shoot me some ideas?

Cheers,
Brant
p51dplt is offline Find More Posts by p51dplt
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
If all you guys keep painting your Corsairs,I will have the only AT with the Marine/Navy decals I so dearly love
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
If all you guys keep painting your Corsairs,I will have the only AT with the Marine/Navy decals I so dearly love
Nope, I am lazy so it will be two of us, unless of course if I crash then I may do a repaint to the early version of blue with light bottom as shown in your last photo. That is my favorite Corsair paint scheme.
Ta152 is offline Find More Posts by Ta152
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:21 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
Hi all

I just wanted to let you know that my Corsair arrived today, and it took less then 10 minutes to make it ready to fly. The tail and elevator just went straight in and is held tight with 5 screws. It arrived in very good condition with no broken pieces, but it took over a week to clear the customs inspection. If the weathers permit, the maiden will be in just a couple hours.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:46 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
Weather is still holding me back. I have flown my GWS P40 and e-flite P-38 in the past week but I am very comfortable with both of those in windy conditions.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Apr 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
Hi all

I just wanted to report that the maiden flight is over and it went great. There are only two things I have to report back as improvement areas. The one is the speed. Easily improved with a faster outrunner, but the landing gear is a bigger nut to crack. I landed the plane with throttle off and it glided down very smoothly and almost planted itself on the grass as soft as a feather, but on touchdown the landing gears tore off under the wings and ripped out a couple small pieces of foam around the area I glued them in. How could this happen??? I might consider belly landings instead.

All in all, I am very happy with the plane, and thank you all for the good information you have provided about this little angel.

Have you guys any info on the extra thin wires on the Esc?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:25 PM
Nut Tree CA.
Joined Nov 2005
261 Posts
I think getting rid of that awesome prop, the speed will go way up. It looks way cool, but it also has a lot of drag.

Brant
p51dplt is offline Find More Posts by p51dplt
Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3
Hi all

I just wanted to report that the maiden flight is over and it went great. There are only two things I have to report back as improvement areas. The one is the speed. Easily improved with a faster outrunner, but the landing gear is a bigger nut to crack. I landed the plane with throttle off and it glided down very smoothly and almost planted itself on the grass as soft as a feather, but on touchdown the landing gears tore off under the wings and ripped out a couple small pieces of foam around the area I glued them in. How could this happen??? I might consider belly landings instead.

All in all, I am very happy with the plane, and thank you all for the good information you have provided about this little angel.

Have you guys any info on the extra thin wires on the Esc?
That's really odd. To tear off the landing gear with a soft landing is a bit of oxymoron. These planes should be landed with power. What you described sounds like a deadstick landing.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:09 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
prof100

Yes I almost landed deadstick with a glide the last meter off the ground in a flat curve with the motor throttled back and with a flare of elevator just before touchdown. This method works with the Gws Corsair, the Gws ME 109 , P51 Mustang, Pitts S2, Mig29, and so on. I never experienced ripping out the landing gear with such a soft and smooth landing before. If I had landed it into stones or high grass I would understand, but not this. I have used this method for the past five years on all my planes with uc and this have never happened. The only thing I can think of is that the plastic shield on the legs stopped the wheels from spinning. I had to move them a little sideways when I first tried the uc before the flight because they locked the wheels.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:42 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,827 Posts
Quote:
prof100

Yes I almost landed deadstick with a glide the last meter off the ground in a flat curve with the motor throttled back and with a flare of elevator just before touchdown. This method works with the Gws Corsair, the Gws ME 109 , P51 Mustang, Pitts S2, Mig29, and so on. I never experienced ripping out the landing gear with such a soft and smooth landing before. If I had landed it into stones or high grass I would understand, but not this. I have used this method for the past five years on all my planes with uc and this have never happened. The only thing I can think of is that the plastic shield on the legs stopped the wheels from spinning. I had to move them a little sideways when I first tried the uc before the flight because they locked the wheels.
I haven't had any problems with my gear yet but I always fly down under power and land on the mains with some roll out before the tailwheel comes down. You might check your wheels. Mine were quite tight and I had to work with them to get them to roll with out binding. Tight wheels may be part of your problem with the gear ripping out of the wing.
Ta152 is offline Find More Posts by Ta152
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Hi all

I just wanted to let you know that my Corsair arrived today, and it took less then 10 minutes to make it ready to fly. The tail and elevator just went straight in and is held tight with 5 screws. It arrived in very good condition with no broken pieces, but it took over a week to clear the customs inspection. If the weathers permit, the maiden will be in just a couple hours.
Take the 2 1/2 oz. weight out of the front and have fun!