HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2007, 03:25 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex
Matt,

Could you bring the camera down to the front at fuse at eye level and take a picture of the plane with the wing on? I am concerned about where the touchdown points are going to be and the servos arms/controls horns when belly landing. Wing skids might be needed to keep from belly landing damage. She's pretty and if she flys great, looks to be a keeper.

TIA
They have pictures on their website that will show the servos.
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2007, 04:11 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
retracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton
Yes,it's no scale scheme,but the model has good scale outlines and sections.
The wing is thicker than the e-flite P-47,and around the same size overall.

I'm going to repaint mine with something more suitable after I test fly it.

I might steal the power system from my old P-47,as it has tons of power from the Cobri box nd Mega 15/15/4 motor.

I'll make a new battery tray to use a 3s2100 as I start modding,pics will flow.

It has great potential for a cheap airframe!

BTW The tailwheel is already linked to the rudder servo,so is already steerable.

Do you think the wing is thick enough for fitting retract? If only we can find a rotating retract suitable for this size and weight range.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 06, 2007, 06:59 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
I think it is plenty thick enough (about 7/8") for retracts,only foreseeable problem is the gear folding back will hit the servo lead extension.So extra work will arise from routing the cable around the wires.
Nobody makes rotating retracts for airplanes this size,however,if there were,I'd be fitting them for sure.

You'd think in 2007 some enterprising retract manufacturer would have realised the sheer interest and popularity of making retracts like this would be a very hot seller!

In this instance,air retracts are the only way,mechanicals would be too difficult to fit.

So, how about it retract designers out there,what say you?

Edit:

Actually, I was thinking of ordering a new motor for this model,as the supplied one probably won't supply enough power for b-i-g looping manoevers.(I'd rather keep the motor in my P-47)
I'd like it to throw a big prop,with scale like climbing speeds, not too concerned about flat out speed.
Can anyone suggest a good outrunner to achieve this?
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Last edited by Matt Halton; Nov 06, 2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2007, 07:18 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit
They have pictures on their website that will show the servos.
Thanks...I should gone there first no need for futher pics.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Nov 06, 2007, 09:55 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
Did some motor research,the supplied motor is the 301302B, with a 4mm shaft.
It can sustain 13 amps,weighs 80 grams,110 watts,which gives 24.5 oz thrust,about what this model weighs.
The motor kv is 700,and figures are based from tests with a 10 x 4.7 prop.

If all the above is true, then it should perform pretty good on the stock motor.(I hope)

Is this the same motor fitted to their P-51?

My only concern is it's getting away from the 100 watt/per lb rule of thumb..
Old Nov 06, 2007, 10:10 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
For scale flight on a warbird, its not 100 watts per pound, but rather 70-80. The extra is nice for extra oomph, but is more then scale.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 07, 2007, 01:52 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
I think it is plenty thick enough (about 7/8") for retracts,only foreseeable problem is the gear folding back will hit the servo lead extension.So extra work will arise from routing the cable around the wires.
Nobody makes rotating retracts for airplanes this size,however,if there were,I'd be fitting them for sure.

You'd think in 2007 some enterprising retract manufacturer would have realised the sheer interest and popularity of making retracts like this would be a very hot seller!

In this instance,air retracts are the only way,mechanicals would be too difficult to fit.

So, how about it retract designers out there,what say you?

Edit:

Actually, I was thinking of ordering a new motor for this model,as the supplied one probably won't supply enough power for b-i-g looping manoevers.(I'd rather keep the motor in my P-47)
I'd like it to throw a big prop,with scale like climbing speeds, not too concerned about flat out speed.
Can anyone suggest a good outrunner to achieve this?

Mechanical retract can be used using multiple small servos or a single servo and flexible cable.
How about a comprise retract, using regular retract to retract wheels backward without rotating and let the wheel half buried into wing like A-10 or DC-3? Hardly noticable during flight.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 07, 2007, 04:14 AM
High Altitude Bliss
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,333 Posts
I had one of those Hobby City neck straps in my kit as well.
I actually kind of like it. Especially with the quick release clip.
It's a welcomed upgrade from my stock Futaba strap which is thin and uncomfortable.
I was thinking of purchasing an after market strap so it was nice to get one for free. No big deal, but a nice little bonus to find in the box, speaking for myself.

I'm looking forward to your flight review as I won't be getting to mine till I get back from the States after Thanksgiving.
It's killing me to see it sitting over there in it's box against the wall.... mocking me....
Hypoxic is offline Find More Posts by Hypoxic
Last edited by Hypoxic; Nov 07, 2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 09:30 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
I'll be trying my new neckstrap next time I fly, which will be in the next few days with the Corsair.

I thought it might be good to try it completely stock with the main gears and 3 blader,supplied lipo fitted just for a ''kinda' review so you can see how it goes...all I need are good flying conditions,I'll get it video'd too.

After that (if I'm not happy with it's performance) I'll be hacking and modifying-I'm sure it will fly well, but maybe too slow for my liking.

Anyway,I'm putting the bird together now,wil poss post pics later.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 10:15 AM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
957 Posts
Looks nice. Corsair is one of my favorite warbirds. I wanted one a bit bigger so I opted to scratchbuild one, but if this one flys well I might pick one up. I have a park next to my house that is large enough for the eflite p47 and would be fine for this one too.

Can't wait to see more pics and hear a flight report.

If you're interested I have a build log for the scratchbuilt F4U-4 over at wattflyer: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23727

Good Luck!
wilmracer is offline Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Nov 07, 2007, 11:37 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
I'll look at that wilmracer!

I put it together,very simple,but fin and stab had issues-you screw the units into recessed plastic parts glued into foam-guess what? They turn when trying to tighten!

I decided to glue the lot with uhu por, works great!
I think the manufacturers need to address this problem, but is an easy workaround.

Ok, here she is

Not ran up the motor or tested the gear yet-I'll report before test flight.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 01:04 PM
High Altitude Bliss
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
I'll be trying my new neckstrap next time I fly, which will be in the next few days with the Corsair.

I thought it might be good to try it completely stock with the main gears and 3 blader,supplied lipo fitted just for a ''kinda' review so you can see how it goes...all I need are good flying conditions,I'll get it video'd too.

After that (if I'm not happy with it's performance) I'll be hacking and modifying-I'm sure it will fly well, but maybe too slow for my liking.

Anyway,I'm putting the bird together now,wil poss post pics later.
Starting off stock is good. I know of a few others watching your build right now.
We'll probably follow suit in regards to modding.
Looks great so far!
Hypoxic is offline Find More Posts by Hypoxic
Old Nov 07, 2007, 03:32 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
Thanks!

Might be a delay for my test flight-the forecast here is rough, high winds and rain at least until Saturday..

Oh well, I'll balance the 3 blader and run up the motor tomorrow.
Old Nov 07, 2007, 04:40 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
very nice looking model...how does the foam quality compare to the ef p47 and emi p38?...while you're waiting for clear weather, maybe you can start working on that f14
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Nov 08, 2007, 02:00 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,889 Posts
I'd say the foam quality is superior on the EMI/Phase 3 P-38.
As good as E-Flite models.

Quote:
maybe you can start working on that f14
Heh, gotta finish my UF P-51,and assemble the P-38. The F-14 is gonna be a long job!

Hey, here's a flying vid of the new Art Tech Corsair.Seems okay stock,but definitely anaemic compared with my P-47,but still looks impressive!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v...orsair_extreme