SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2007, 05:04 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta152
Whats happened? Everyone Christmas shopping and not flying?
I flew all day! But not this Bird!
Soon I hope. I need to crash something to make room! I've been using less glue lately!
MERLIN

MERRY Christmas everyone!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2008, 08:51 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
Larry- did you get here done yet? I know you were going to have it at Christmas,just wondering what you think of it?

Merlin,pilots being carved soon

Just saw on Hobby City's site that these were supposed to back in stock mid Dec. Is now been extended to mid Jan.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Jan 01, 2008, 09:22 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Ya know I see this same shortage just about everywhere else too, with the exception of HL.

The whole R/C distributor world out there seems on an "out of stock" trend these days. And they also with the exception of HC is on an RTF kick it seems.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jan 02, 2008, 08:48 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Matt how was Xmas? Great i hope.
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 02, 2008, 03:38 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Bad news...

I crashed my Corsair last week

As I think I mentioned a few weeks ago, I repaired a broken wing after a CG related mishap a few weeks ago. I had flown several times since then and thought the repair was strong, but I overloaded the wing coming out of a reverse cuban eight and the wing snapped at the location of the repair. Needless to say, it doesn't fly well with just one wing!

The damage was limited to the forward section of the fuselage, but it was pretty bad. The motor suffered a bent shaft, and the firewall, motor mount and battery compartment were completely destroyed. Too bad because it was to be my last flight before installing retracts. In fact I had already ordered most of what I would have needed to do the work. And of course, I was planning on adding wing spar too.

I really liked this plane, so I may have to get another as soon as they are back in stock.
fly time is offline Find More Posts by fly time
Old Jan 02, 2008, 03:44 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Hey Sabrehawk, I see you are in Renton also. Where do you fly? I normally fly at the athletic field behind Honey Dew School in Renton Highlands.
Old Jan 02, 2008, 04:38 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,828 Posts
Haven't touched the thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton
Larry- did you get here done yet? I know you were going to have it at Christmas,just wondering what you think of it?

Merlin,pilots being carved soon

Just saw on Hobby City's site that these were supposed to back in stock mid Dec. Is now been extended to mid Jan.
Matt,

Haven't touched the thing since I unwrapped it Christmas morning. I will get on it some time this month. I have been working with the boss lady buying furniture and getting that set up and other family things.
Larry
Ta152 is offline Find More Posts by Ta152
Old Jan 02, 2008, 07:40 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly time
Hey Sabrehawk, I see you are in Renton also. Where do you fly? I normally fly at the athletic field behind Honey Dew School in Renton Highlands.
Hey Fly time, nice to know ya, and so sorry to hear of your crash. I hate it when that happens.
There's a nice big parking lot not far from southcenter mall that me and about 4 or 5 other fellas been flying at. I'll pm ya with a googleshot of it.
It's the best flying spot I've found in the area so far, it's free, and BIG!
Now, if it would just quit raining for just one dog gone weekend.
We tried flying yesterday but the wind took over, and I finally succumed to the cold. Got in one lousy flight and that was a hair raiser so I didnt put anything else up. Just not fun when it becomes a kite.

Well, still waitin on HC to get'em in stock, as well as the Stang too and I'll probably get the stang first, then the Corsair since ya cant have more than one per order anyway. And I gotta watch the cashflow this month too.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:51 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,828 Posts
Man what a pain.

Started working on my Corsair today and man what a pain. Attaching the rudder and elevator has become a major feat in itself. The screw post came loose and would turn with out tightening and that is after I had smeared extra glue around them. I had no problems with my Art-Tech Mustang rudder/elevator attachment.
Then getting the rudder steel post to mate with the servo proved to also became a challenge. Then I finally got smart and tapered the pin to make it easier to engage the servo arm.
How do you get to the motor? The plastic cowl ring appears to be glued to the fuselage on mine.
One thing I am trying with mine is eliminating the heavy steel weight and extending the battery box down further so that my Thunder power 2,100 lipo fit perfectly. If I am carrying extra weight for balance I would rather it be in a battery.

Larry
Old Jan 09, 2008, 07:54 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
I didn't find it that difficult to assemble mine, but the screws on the fin fairing are pointless,the plastic pieces imbedded in the foam which the screws go into turn as you try to turn the screws.
I did find that using contact glue was better.

If you want to get at the motor,I think you will need to ease off the plastic moulding at the cowl front,it should just glue back ok.
Are you doing this to get to the weight?

Good idea on the 2100 pack instead of the dead weight.

I hope you get it all done ok,it flies beautifully.
I haven't done anymore to mine yet,but after reading of the wing breaking so easily, an imbedded spar in the wing woluld be a great idea after a motor upgrade.

Good luck with the Corsair Larry, she flies so nice!
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:01 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Yes, the tail assembly is a pain! I got lucky hooking up the servo to the rudder and tailwheel. It only took 5 minutes. But attaching the tail was another matter altogether! I ended up using hot glue in the end.

The cowl is indeed glued firmly in place. I confirmed this after crashing mine. If you need to take it off, I would try running a playing card between the plastic cowling and foam fuselage.

After my crash, I removed what was left of the foam holding the metal balast in place and found that a 2100 mAh lipo does not fit straight in. It will be too long. You could probably put it in angled back.

Quote:
Started working on my Corsair today and man what a pain. Attaching the rudder and elevator has become a major feat in itself. The screw post came loose and would turn with out tightening and that is after I had smeared extra glue around them. I had no problems with my Art-Tech Mustang rudder/elevator attachment.
Then getting the rudder steel post to mate with the servo proved to also became a challenge. Then I finally got smart and tapered the pin to make it easier to engage the servo arm.
How do you get to the motor? The plastic cowl ring appears to be glued to the fuselage on mine.
One thing I am trying with mine is eliminating the heavy steel weight and extending the battery box down further so that my Thunder power 2,100 lipo fit perfectly. If I am carrying extra weight for balance I would rather it be in a battery.

Larry
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:02 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,828 Posts
Quote:
I didn't find it that difficult to assemble mine, but the screws on the fin fairing are pointless,the plastic pieces imbedded in the foam which the screws go into turn as you try to turn the screws.
I did find that using contact glue was better.

If you want to get at the motor,I think you will need to ease off the plastic moulding at the cowl front,it should just glue back ok.
Are you doing this to get to the weight?

Good idea on the 2100 pack instead of the dead weight.

I hope you get it all done ok,it flies beautifully.
I haven't done anymore to mine yet,but after reading of the wing breaking so easily, an imbedded spar in the wing woluld be a great idea after a motor upgrade.

Good luck with the Corsair Larry, she flies so nice!
Thanks Matt. I will fly mine with the stock motor. I am not one who has to have a very high performance aircraft. I found the Art-Tech Mustang had adequate power and I am sure the Corsair will be also. I like to just fly around slowly and do lots of touch and goes. The Mustang really looks good in the pattern just doing that. Love the way she flies.
If you didn't use the screws to hold the elevator on, what did you use? Contact cement? If so could you explain your procedure.
Thanks,
Larry
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:12 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
UHU POR works great Larry- just let both surfaces go tacky then join.It is a very strong joint,and the glue affords some (rubbery) flexibilty.
You shouldn't use foam friendly ca as it is too brittle and delaminates too easily,as does epoxy.

In the USA I believe this glue is known as 'UHU Creativ'

Matt
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:22 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,828 Posts
Quote:
UHU POR works great Larry- just let both surfaces go tacky then join.It is a very strong joint,and the glue affords some (rubbery) flexibilty.
You shouldn't use foam friendly ca as it is too brittle and delaminates too easily,as does epoxy.

In the USA I believe this glue is known as 'UHU Creativ'

Matt
Thanks Matt, I will try that. Any thing has to be better than trying to mate those little screws into the plastic posts.
Larry
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:35 PM
Electric flyer
Renton, WA, US
Joined Oct 2007
1,291 Posts
Low-temp hot glue worked well on mine. It fills the holes left from trying to thread the screws and holds strong.

Quote:
Thanks Matt, I will try that. Any thing has to be better than trying to mate those little screws into the plastic posts.
Larry