HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:38 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,773 Posts
I have the Dave Rees plans for the 57" span size. Tried to a fit GWS LPS gear drive in and it won't fit. That was a few years back, I would think a modern 10 gram outrunner would fit in there just fine. Humm, might be time to revisit that one. 6 motors and esc's might be a bit cost prohibitive because my current project list will require the use 8 of the little buggers.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:51 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I have the Dave Rees plans for the 57" span size. Tried to a fit GWS LPS gear drive in and it won't fit. That was a few years back, I would think a modern 10 gram outrunner would fit in there just fine. Humm, might be time to revisit that one. 6 motors and esc's might be a bit cost prohibitive because my current project list will require the use 8 of the little buggers.
Glenn
Glen, how about dropping back a bit on the technology front and go with brushed motors? One of the maestros in the TEMAC/EMFSO (Toronto Electric Model Aircraft Club/ Electric Model Flyers of Southern Ontario) likes to use brushed motors on multi-engined projects. One of two ESCs, one or two batteries, more fiddly on setup and configuration, but a lot cheaper.
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:47 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,773 Posts
I agree, brushed motors is the way to go and is where I started. Used eight N20's on my Hercules with a single esc and it works great.

I need to spin a 6" prop and figured the LPS would be the way to go.
There just isn't enough room in the wing for the gearbox even with a long shaft extension. Was going to enlarge the plan to fit the gearboxes and that's where the project died.

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:15 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
910 Posts
Quote:
BTW, John's plane is covered with brown paper and a mix of 50/50 water and white (Elmers) glue. It was painted using standard acrylic paints. He also mentioned that it flies very well sort of like a big trainer and now it needs a bit of touching up from all the flights for the brown paper is starting to look a bit ragged now.
Actually, it's not looking too bad at all for a 15 year model!

It's now on it's 3rd set of batteries (now Lipo's of course) but it still runs the original speed 400 brushed motors with MFA gearboxes. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:45 AM
Castle Rock, Washington
Joined Jul 2002
173 Posts
Flew Mine Today

It is from John's plans, 110 inches, 14 lb 12 oz ready to fly. I put 4 flights on it today and it flies great!
cobra72 is offline Find More Posts by cobra72
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:43 AM
Castle Rock, Washington
Joined Jul 2002
173 Posts
B-36 Third flight video

Here is a link to video of the third flight.

B-36 Model third test flight (3 min 4 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:30 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
Cobra72, can you post some particulars about the power system that you're using?

I don't think that it was flying at a scale speed, considering that most of the film that I've seen has it more of a lumbering behemoth while yours looked to be doing a lot higher speed. Have you tried throttling back or at what throttle position were you flying at once you got off of the ground?

BTW, I found John Considine's design on the Traplet website: http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=997

Considering what British Post charge for overseas parcels ostage, it might be easier to coordinate with friends/family in the UK to receive the package and hold it for another friend/family member to pick up. LEarned this lesson with a kit too big for the suitcase -- cost almost as much to mail it home than the buy it in the first place. (Read: And I thought that CVanada Post was pricey!!!!)
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Last edited by byrocat; Oct 08, 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:04 PM
Castle Rock, Washington
Joined Jul 2002
173 Posts
Speed

I will get the details about the power system after tomorrows flying session. It takes off about half throttle and I pulled the power back right away. I am getting 250 watts per motor at full throttle. I agree the video looks fast, more so than when you see it in person.

Alan
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:56 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
910 Posts
Congratulations Alan on a job well done!

It's a bit of a thrill seeing someone else building something from my plans .

I hope yours gets to celebrate it's 15th birthday as well!

Surprisingly mine has proved to be the most reliable & maintenance free model I have ever built. The only repairs I have done with all it's flying has been to tighten a motor pinion, replace a chipped prop & repair a broken noseleg steering arm. - John.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:04 PM
Castle Rock, Washington
Joined Jul 2002
173 Posts
Power System

I am using HP Motors 28/14/06 from Hobby People, Balsa Products BP 45A Esc's with no BEC in them and 8 x 6 APC Thin Electric props. I have the ESC's in groups of two powered by XPS 4000 Mah 40C 11.1 volt Lipoly's. At full throttle I have 250 watts per motor. I have the two out board motors set up so I can have differential thrust tied into the rudder if I turn the mix on, but I have not used it yet.

John, Thank You! It is a great design and flies so smooth, no bad habits that I have found. I hope mine lasts just like yours has. I am planning on putting it away for the winter while I add details.

Alan
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:55 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
910 Posts
Alan, the only bad habit I've noticed with mine is it will drop a wing if you try to turn too tight at very low speeds, there's not a lot of wing chord right out at the tip.

Keep it wide & smooth like the full size & you will never know.

Happy flying! - John.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:14 PM
Castle Rock, Washington
Joined Jul 2002
173 Posts
Thanks for the advice John, I will remember that! I did add washout in tip sections, maybe next time get up high and see what it stalls like.

Alan