SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:33 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Good B-36 site and 2011 update: upcoming Eureka 114" B-36 test flight!

Found a good B-36 site that happens to have an electronic version of our old promotional drawing that Convair used to give away to model builders.

Check out:

http://www.air-and-space.com/b-36%20diagrams.htm

Anyone out there working on a B-36?

Brought this old thread back to life...check out the new posts starting on Aug 20.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 20, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:29 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
B-36 models

Yes, they do tend to be few and far between.

On of the best movies on the Aluminum Overcast is "Strategic Air Command" with Lt-Col James Stewart....

However, eBay's got a set of plans (18US and climbing...)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3100526207
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Dec 16, 2002, 07:46 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,360 Posts
That's a NICE 3-View!!

I was thinking of building one,.. have the plans for an electric one with a 114 or so inches! and running 6 geared speed 400's I'd like to shrink it down to about 80" and use GWS IPS geared motors with 3-blades. but right now, I'm tapped for funds & can't even afford the reduction of the plans... It also has some foam parts I'll have to design out,.. not much of a foam-guy. Perhaps these 3-views will "inspire" Me! Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:11 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Re: B-36 models

Quote:
Originally posted by byrocat
Yes, they do tend to be few and far between.

On of the best movies on the Aluminum Overcast is "Strategic Air Command" with Lt-Col James Stewart....

However, eBay's got a set of plans (18US and climbing...)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3100526207

Just watched "SAC" two nights ago and forgot to record it. Hmmm...might have to swing by Suncoast Pictures for a copy.

I have the plans. They are a design by John Considine. It is a BIG plane and the plans are worth the price. I think I paid about 45.00 for them if memory serves me correctly. Money well spent.

He has the build up article of the model in one of the Austrailian Model Airplane News mags which you can get a back issue of. Unfortunately all the pictures are in B&W. The plans are also available from Traplet Publications U.K. and John also told me that the nacelles, canopy, and other related vacu-formed pieces are available if you don't want to make your own from scratch though I've yet to get a response back from Traplet regarding these pieces.

BTW, John's plane is covered with brown paper and a mix of 50/50 water and white (Elmers) glue. It was painted using standard acrylic paints. He also mentioned that it flies very well sort of like a big trainer and now it needs a bit of touching up from all the flights for the brown paper is starting to look a bit ragged now.
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Last edited by Rudderman98; Dec 16, 2002 at 08:18 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:21 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
The "real" deal!
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:36 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
The plans on Ebay are not a bad deal, but the price is hard to beat on the three view drawing in the link..

SR-71 fan often flies his 6xN20 motor B-36 around here. I think it has a one meter span or so.

Someone needs to get a little larger pile of foam and do a slightly larger B-36 for 6 GWS direct drive motors. A span of 50-54 inches would work, I bet. Or a 2 meter one for 6 Speed 280s, perhaps.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 16, 2002, 09:08 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,360 Posts
I figured ...

About 84" would be about perfect for geared IPS & GWS 3-blade props (might have to cut a 1/2" or so off..) Build it light with stringer & former (don't like foam much) and skin the fuselage with 1/16" & sand it to about 1/32" Cover it in silver litespan for that "big metal cigar" look.. Nice & light built-up wing with some carbon fiber re-enforcement 7 extremly judicial use of some 1/32" ply here & there... Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:20 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
I keep thinking "it has to have the jets, too" and wondering what size I'd wind up with if I scaled the jet nacelles for the GWS EDF-50. Probably BIG! I wonder if those little KP44 fans are still available anywhere......

No, I don't expect them to add measurably to the performance, but it would add even more to the cool factor!
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Dec 18, 2002, 04:15 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,472 Posts
Re: Good B-36 site (drawing with cross sections, too!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas B
Check out:
http://www.air-and-space.com/b-36%20diagrams.htm
Isn't the sound of a B 36 just awesome ? I remember seeing one flying when I was about 7 years old, but I had forgotten THAT noise !
Pity you can't get six Speed 400's to sound like that.
ChrisP is online now Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:36 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Bringing this old B-36 thread back to life....

Yesterday I got a call to come over and inspect/preflight a electric B-36 project in a nearby 'burb. The rumor was that is was an R/C E-conversion of the very large Eureka balsa 114" control line kit from the 1950s...and so it was.

Model is looking great and is impressive! Needs a very few minor tweaks which the owner (Jerry Bailey) is now working on.

It felt surprising light (no scale available). I estimate the RTF weight at abot 20-22 lbs. ..the builder did some weight reduction and hand picked replacement balsa sheeting. He also made lighter fiberglass clones of the original aluminum motor fairings.

Power system is 6x BP 450 class outrunners, 40 amp ESCs and six separate 3 cell 2200 lipos. 8x6 three blade pushers and the model appears to have tons of power. No watt meter handy, but will do that test soon. I am guessing that it is making 300-350 wats per motor, so the power ought to be in the general vicinity of 100 watts/lb.

I will be doing a maiden soon and will give a flight report in the next couple of weeks.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 20, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,614 Posts
I was looking at the side-view and thinking that the fuselage length didn't look right (shortened).

I then went Googling (bad English but you get the idea) and found this image. Turns out that the massive wing does make the fuselage look short.

YouTube's got lots of B-36 videos, inlduing the take-off from "SAC" -- the one with Jimmie Stewart and "Colonel Potter" in his younger days....

Looks to be about three or four wing roots ahead and beind of the wing.
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
I think the short fuse effect in the side view photo is more a perspective thing in the camera than it really being too short.
The three view in the first post is likely more accurate than the painted art three view you posted...the one linked in the first post came directly from the Canvair factory prints.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,885 Posts
Thomas,

Have you seen Dag's micro B-36 project?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933242
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:33 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
Thomas,

Have you seen Dag's micro B-36 project?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933242
Yep.....very cool. Been following it for a long time.
Little more macro than micro, though....
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:40 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,885 Posts
hehe, more mega than macro
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue