HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by martin richards, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
What boat would be the closest match to a Nirvana in speed and overall performance? A Victoria?
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
What boat would be the closest match to a Nirvana in speed and overall performance? A Victoria?
Interesting question. Hard to give a definitive and factual answer. Having owned both boats, I'd say my Nirvana was the faster of the two - for one reason the Nirvana has more sail area. My Victoria was better at catching the wind in extremely light breeze conditions. A Victoria can be modified for racing and if all those modifications have been made, a Victoria can be pretty quick! To be fair a Nirvana with set of well made custom sails becomes more a exciting boat as well.

If you are going to race the Nirvana class rules are very limited as to making any changes to the boats, not so with the Victoria. Just about anything goes.

I submit that the skipper makes the major difference. Learning to sail is pretty easy, learning to sail well is quite a different story.

Some guys just have the touch, it as if they can see the wind and are able to respond without thought.

Great fun!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old May 24, 2012, 08:06 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Thanks boomer.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:53 PM
Behind the curve in Rock Hill
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
re: Dumas Lightning kit - This was designed for free sail before we had micro gear, so it didn't take a lot of mods. I rigged it for rc and it sailed well enough - that is until my dog reduced it to splinters. Oh well.
jzami is offline Find More Posts by jzami
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:10 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
I agree with Boomer.

All things being equal, the Nirvana is just a tad faster than a Vic, and can handle stronger winds.

With a race enhanced Vic (carbon fiber everything, custom sails, etc.), versus a stock Nirvana, probably a different story!
It's a fine line, they are well matched normally.

I race my Nirvana informally with a group of Vics every week, and I have placed in the top three quite a few times, (even a few firsts), but not enough to make it a sure thing by any means.

In a light breeze those Vics really scoot, they are about 1.5 lbs lighter than my Nirvana too.
I can hold my own better when the wind is up.

The skipper still makes the biggest difference IMHO.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Dec 22, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:19 PM
Beginner Flyer
Australia
Joined Apr 2009
127 Posts
Anyone know of this one, the Discovery like the one seen here from Empire Hobby, $149.99?

Thinking of getting a relatively cheap RC yacht to sail when it's too windy to fly my plane, seeing as there's a nice big lake just down the road... Any suggestions (beginner rc sailer), RTR?

Preferably something that can cope with somewhat choppier conditions, and is waterproof all over, I guess. What about that Monsoon from Hobby King for around $90? Although then I'd need a 2ch. tx and receiver battery.
Catweazle is offline Find More Posts by Catweazle
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:45 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
538 Posts
@Catweazle:

Dont confuse the Joysway Discovery with the Discovery 500 from HobbyKing they are VERY different boats.

I have a Monsoon, it is a great boat. There is a local group of RC fliers in my area have all bought Monsoons and Legends for non-flying days - great fun

Couple of pics attached... the field includes Surmounts, Legends, Monsoons and Phantoms
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:21 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Interesting question. Hard to give a definitive and factual answer. Having owned both boats, I'd say my Nirvana was the faster of the two - for one reason the Nirvana has more sail area. My Victoria was better at catching the wind in extremely light breeze conditions. A Victoria can be modified for racing and if all those modifications have been made, a Victoria can be pretty quick! To be fair a Nirvana with set of well made custom sails becomes more a exciting boat as well.

If you are going to race the Nirvana class rules are very limited as to making any changes to the boats, not so with the Victoria. Just about anything goes.

I submit that the skipper makes the major difference. Learning to sail is pretty easy, learning to sail well is quite a different story.

Some guys just have the touch, it as if they can see the wind and are able to respond without thought.

Great fun!

Boomer
Boomer:
Looking at your Vic, it appears that it still has the original kit spars and sails.
There is a move afoot to create a sub-class within the AMYA Victoria class that is restricted to stock spars and sails. That makes a nice entry level boat without having to compete with the very modified Vics. Some clubs have started to build silver Vic fleets. The class secretary is supporting the effort.
Here is a link to the Victoria Class web site:
https://sites.google.com/site/classvictoria1/
If fact our club is hosting a regatta in which both the gold and silver (stock kit built) fleets will race separately.
https://sites.google.com/site/ramyasailing/regattas

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:13 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Boomer:
Looking at your Vic, it appears that it still has the original kit spars and sails.
There is a move afoot to create a sub-class within the AMYA Victoria class that is restricted to stock spars and sails. That makes a nice entry level boat without having to compete with the very modified Vics. Some clubs have started to build silver Vic fleets. The class secretary is supporting the effort.
Here is a link to the Victoria Class web site:
https://sites.google.com/site/classvictoria1/
If fact our club is hosting a regatta in which both the gold and silver (stock kit built) fleets will race separately.
https://sites.google.com/site/ramyasailing/regattas

Walt

Walt
Thanks for sharing this info. My Vic is just a memory now. In the hands of a fine skipper on the other side of the country. At last contact he had invested some large $$ in it to make it competitive with his local club. He was doing quite well as I recall. He had lots of full size sailboat racing so the transition came quickly.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:43 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
Hey Martin.
What do you think about updating the list of kit boat manufacturers you started way back when you started this thread?

We have a number of new sailors that might find a current list of value in their search for the right boat. I can contribute those companies I am aware of that are producing kits here in the Colonies.

What do you think?

Boomer
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:39 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Hey Martin.
What do you think about updating the list of kit boat manufacturers you started way back when you started this thread?

We have a number of new sailors that might find a current list of value in their search for the right boat. I can contribute those companies I am aware of that are producing kits here in the Colonies.

What do you think?

Boomer
Yes, it's a sad fact that several good kit boats have bitten the dust since the thread was started, especially following Graupner's demise (hopefully, the MicroMagic is saved), and some others have been introduced. I'll have to ut my thinling cap on.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:53 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
U.S. Based RC Sailboat manufacturers/suppliers

updated information moved forward in the thread to post #91
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: update information
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Apr 2009
59 Posts
Ya left out the Dumas star 30 all wood kit that's still very much available and built here in the USA. Not that hard a build and I really enjoy sailing it. I've only sailed it against nirvanas and it seems like the performance is quite the same. Enclosed are pictures of mine except instead of using the mahogany supplied I made my own planks out of red cedar and planked the whole boat.
clouddancer120 is offline Find More Posts by clouddancer120
Old Jul 21, 2013, 01:15 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
CD
Didn't forget Dumas, just hadn't pulled all their info together - As mentioned the listings posted were not complete and would be updated and refined.
I appreciate your contribution! I have a added Dumas to the list.

Beautiful boat by the way!

Suggestions are invited and appreciated. We'd like the list to be as complete as possible.

Thank you.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 21, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:08 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Yes, it's a sad fact that several good kit boats have bitten the dust since the thread was started, especially following Graupner's demise (hopefully, the MicroMagic is saved), and some others have been introduced. I'll have to ut my thinling cap on.
Graupner will be back. Not sure if the MM will make a comeback. Group net sent out a rep to the R G 65 US Nationals , he showed interest in them.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy